Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 aged 48 3/4!  (Read 19980 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 aged 48 3/4!
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Tuesday April 8th ( I think  ???)

Gosh, how time is cracking on. It needs to slow riiigghhhtt down as I want to savour each second that passes.

Thanks again for all your responses, Suzyq, fener opened today, yippee! Tortoise lady and K4E, my alcohol is evaporating nicely and the wardrobe burglars have been in and swapped my clothes for smaller sizes already. I bought half a dozen new pairs if Knicks  and have had to abandon them ( not literally - I'm no commando - but more about that later ) as they keep rolling down and cutting my circulation off!

Well we've done lots of lolling around and lots of LOLing in general and hope we haven't been too offensive to others but I'm afraid last night we propped the bar up at kaya and had the most fun with erol and kadir, I nearly fell off my stool at one point such was the hilarity and I wasn't too drunk I promise!

So off we went to Bob and JAynes on Sunday and had a lovely afternoon and evening. We arranged for Adem to collect us and spent the night up there at his lovely restaurant. 5 of is had the lamb shanks and a tip for this time of year is to pre order if you want them as he will only cook to order in low season and they need a good 6 to 8 hours cooking slowly. The meat just fell off them and they were absolutely delicious. To us, an experience at Adems is not really about the food, although it is very nice, it's more about the hospitality and the fantastic family friendly experience.

Yesterday, the sun was cracking the flags, so we spent a day round the pool, but too chicken to actually take a dip as the water feels icy cold. Others were in but not us I'm afraid.
We have absolutely marvellous views here over kalamar bay and there's always a breeze so it never seems to get too hot at this time of year anyway.
The weather in General is beautiful, the best we've ever experienced at Easter so far. Although Saturday and Sunday were a little bit overcast but very warm out of the breeze.
 We ate at hunkars last night and it was as good as usual. I had a beyti kebab as usual but I'm going to try something different next time. The trouble is, I look forward for so many months to eating the food I know I love, I miss out on trying new tastes.

Today we met bob and Jayne and went in convoy to patata beach......to be continued  :o
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:00:59 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »
thanks for keeping us posted, Lizilu. I feel like we are there with you, enjoying every minute. Luckily you have more gin to evaporate than you originally intended eh, if its disappearing fast ;D
The knickers story sounds like it will be a good one - can't wait to read all about it. Get yourself to the market on Thursday and see what you can find by way of replacements :o
Have you ventured into the old town proper yet...? dying to know what you think of the roads.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »
Fabulous reports you actually motivated me to book for three weeks in September. Can't wait.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »
Wednesday April 9th  8)

K4E, I've not seen much of the old town in daylight yet so can't really comment about the roads much. The new bits seem to be covered in a layer of sand so difficult to visualise really. We are going to have a walk down before we go home so will keep you posted.

Joyce, so glad you have booked and glad I have helped  :)

So back to Patara,  :o

We drove in convoy to the beach and all was going well apart from one small incident where a wasp started to tease me while I was paying our entrance fee. I think the lady in the cabin thought I was a tad strange as I wriggled, screamed and ran round the car - Bob and JAyne said they thought I was choking on something but neither they or my loving family offered assistance. I think they were hanging their collective heads in shame and pretending I was just some idiot they had taken pity on and offered a day trip to the beach as their good deed for the day !
It was really blustery on Patara, so much so that the waves were rally crashing on shore and the sand was spitting at us as we tried to circumnavigate the by now, sand covered walkway. It felt like being stung by a million wasps as the shards of sand pelted at us. We decided to take shelter at the side of the cafe as we thought it might be a good wind break and it was perfect. We laid down our towels and parked our milk bottle bods down. There was a family of Germans behind us who were like the fit family, they all ran into the crashing waves together, heedless of the red flags and body surfed, swam, and cavorted in the surf.
We watched as they all ran back together holding hands, mum dad and 4 teenage kids. They made me feel exhausted, the lazy lump that I am!

I was positioned so that I was looking at them and ( K4E - this is especially for you as this is the commando bit ) they collectively doffed their swimsuits off, formed a circle, held hands again and proceeded to sing "we all live in a yellow submarine" in German, every verse and chorus. We joined in in English ( clothes in situ though ) and a jolly time was had by all  :o
It was a very surreal moment and although I had to squint a bit, I can confide that dad was circumscised and mum had never heard of an epilady!!!

Aubergine last night for the first time ever and yes, it was very good. Very pricey, 305.00 TL for the usual meals 4 mains and a shared starter, extra roast potatoes and a bottle of red wine and soft drinks.
While we were there, I had a message - my cover is rumbled - onelove has Sussed me out and is staying at our apartments ...to be continued...

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
Oh goodness....I laughed out loud reading this ;D ;D Although I have to say no diners were offended in the process  ;)
What a strange how d'ya do....being naked in front of your teenage children (let alone the whole beach) is extremely bizarre behaviour. I feel as though you've stumbled across some religious sect here...be thankful you escaped with your liberty (and of course your own clothes still in situ...)
So onelove is suddenly Poirot....? Where were those skills when everyone was looking for Daniel Craig last year. tut tut  :-*

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
Ha!Ha!Ha!..Nuddy Germans on a beach singing Yellow submarine?  :o...think I'd rather have the wasps!!! >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
Lizilu20 you are brilliant, had to laugh at the beach story. We had a similar experience at Dalyan mud baths, while the shy Brits were fighting with towels to preserve their modesty, Frau Schwarzwald just stripped off and carried on regardless.
Glad to hear Fener is open and also the tip about pre-ordering Adem's lamb shank, I always have one when we go there although never had to do that before in May.I'm determined to try some new restaurants this time but will still go to a couple of favourites. Can someone remind me the name of Adem's brothers place? Only a few weeks to go ;D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »
Excellent!  This made me laugh so much! The family are super keen to go to patara now!  :o enjoy the rest of your stay.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
I just have to comment on your blog lizzie, even though we are here in kalkan and enjoying our holiday and sharing a lot  of what you are saying, it is still hilarious to read.We are just sat reading your posts and howling with laughter! Lol. Keep on writing! X
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:25:25 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
Lizilu20, re meal at aubergines, 305 trl does not seem that expensive for 4 meals + drinks,  especially as it is a  top notch classy restaurant , = about £85 , it costs  us £70 for 2 in a local Greek restaurant in Leeds, nothing too posh, and we do not get the Kalkan views thrown in . Great reports by the way

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
Pompeyalbie.....Adem's brother is Rami. Unfortunately his restaurant is closed and will not be re-opening this year. Not sure what he is doing now but if anyone knows could they please post a reply.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »
Friday April 11th

RIP Sue Townsend  :'(

Such sad news to wake up to this morning. She was one of my favourite authors and the inspiration for my Kalkan blog this Easter as last Easter, I read one of her books while lazing around the pool at Bob and Jaynes lovely apartment. How poignant. I can in no way compare my literary skills to hers, but this ones for you Sue and eternal rest to a very funny and talented lady.

Thanks once again for your comments. I totally get what you mean Brian j p re Aubergine. In the whole scheme of things ie ambience, setting, etc, it's certainly not exorbitant. We would expect to pay this at home for a restaurant of a similar standard and if you want to experience finer dining while in Kalkan, then I guess Aubergine is one of the places to go. However if you fancy a good mixed grill of the same (or better) standard as Aubergine but are not bothered about the fancy setting, don't pay the 75TL at Aubergine, pay 40 odd and go to the Marina or kaya instead. So glad we went though as it's one to tick off the never ending list and we probably would go again if we felt like dressing up and pushing the boat out one night.

Well it's been like emergency ward 10 here in the lizilu residence  :(
We've had some kind of virus that's really put a downer on our holiday this Easter. Wednesday dawned with the sun rising high in the sky and burning through the clouds. The distant rumbles I heard were unfortunately from my belly and so set the theme for the day. I'm sure it has nothing to do with anything I've eaten, just unlucky to pick up a nasty bug and my day mostly was spent in the beautifully furnished bathroom. We did manage to fit in a very short trip to fener as it has just opened but I had to sit and watch the family devour their chicken burgers while I clenched my cheeks and hugged my gripey tummy. Let's just say that I wasn't a very good advert for fener so we thought we'd better get off home, otherwise I think we'd have chucked out as I'm sure that vision of green faced me wasn't good for business.

I managed my blog and convinced myself after 6 Imodium, that I'd be ok for the evening as we were due at Bob and Jaynes where they were cooking us a veritable feast. We arrived and mine hosts B and J didn't disappoint. They had gone to so much trouble, the table was groaning with tasty titbits and gorgeous food. Bob is a brilliant cook and I was really looking forward to this. He'd made lamb in red wine with lemon and rosemary from adem's garden, chicken sish, kofte, Greek salad, liver and, bulgar and green beans with garlic and tomatoes and I'm ashamed to say that I could only manage half a 2 inch chunk of lamb before I collapsed and had to be put to bed. I even left the bloody metaxa they been all the way to meis for!! I somehow don't think we will get another invite in the near future  ;D
The party continued as I lay in a delirious state in B and Js bed, occasionally being prodded to make sure that I was still breathing and I had the odd recollection in between hallucinations that people were hovering over my sickbed, but when my shivering and rigors ( as we call it in the business) became so bad that my teeth were chattering together and the bed was shaking, OH decided to bundle me off home, all wrapped up in the quilt nicked from B and J! A great big thank you Bob and Jayne for putting up with me and feeding my family. I'm so sorry.
I continued to vomit and emit other disgusting bodily fluids all night but by the dawn of yesterday I began to feel a whole lot better and managed to get to the pharmacy for miracle pills and a quick sprint around the market.
Thank goodness I was feeling a bit better as we had a complimentary lunch to look forward to. There is a new restaurant opening at the end of the kalamar road called Asian gate. It will serve Indian and Chinese food amongst other things and is the old Atlantis hotel. We were invited quite by chance by the new owners to try a complimentary taster menu lunch. Wild hoses as well as bad guts wouldn't have kept this freeloading family away so off we traipsed.
I'm afraid that I couldn't manage much but I can definitely say that the salt and pepper chicken is to die for. We had a taste of burgers - big home made chunky quarter pounders, pizza's, chicken balti, korma, pilau rice and naan breads. I'm so sorry that I couldn't do it justice but OH and the girls were very impressed with the food. They will be doing a packet service, ie delivery service too and we will definitely make sure we go back in august. Unfortunately the lovely owners Jawad and his wife aren't quite ready to open yet so we won't manage to dine there properly this holiday, but thank you both for your warm hospitality - what a lovely treat we had.
We dined at the marina last evening. I really wasn't up for it but seeing as we had begged the chef earlier in the week to open on Thursday instead of Friday, I thought we'd better show our faces.
I'm so glad that we did as we had a brilliant night with lovely friends and fantastic food although again I only managed a sparrows portion.
Today, morning has broken and the heavens have opened. It's a horrible grey day with torrential rain and our poor elder daughter is now captive in the beautifully decorated bathroom - and so the virus continues ......

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »
Oh goodness....!
The last time we came to Kalkan with all the kids we all picked up something similar - its really not pleasant so feel for you. Strangely enough we were in Fener one of the nights someone was unwell, and the public toilet is quite a trek from the cafe if your table is by the lighthouse. We made a mental note never to go there if someone is plagued with Turkish Trots. Have to say though, my best friend the pharmacist did sort us out with fantastic stuff which absolutely did the trick. Peaches are apparently good to eat when you have this bug - don't ask me why, but we heard that from a number of Turkish friends.
Have to say we were Aubergine fans for years and years and a couple of bad meals and poor service during two different visits means we have never set foot back in the restaurant again. There are loads of wonderful places to eat - with spectacularly better views (IMO), good service, fabulous food. Whilst its not pricey compared to UK, it is in Kalkan. We don't mind paying more for something that's really good, but I think a lot of the other restaurants have caught up to Aubergine and in some cases have passed them and are not charging the same prices. They get our business these days.
Asian Gate sounds like it will offer something a bit different so we will be sure to give it a try.
Hope the weather and the tummies improve as soon as possible :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »
I'm just catching up after a lovely few days away in Seville.
Lizilu I have to commend your attention to detail.......noticing the German dad's circumcision.....was above the call of duty!  :laugh:

Hope you are all feeling better.....there is nothing worse than being poorly on holiday.....I was gripped by the Turksh Trots last year  :-X apparently peaches and banana chopped and mixed in natural yogurt with a pinch of salt is the local remedy and boiled potatoes.....personally I'd say go for strong drug therapy every time!

Looking forward to some more interesting "observations"!  ;D ;D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
Sunday April 13th

Home sweet Home  :(

Well, where did that week go  ??? I think our holiday evaporated just like the gin!  ;)

Friday was a wash out weather wise, torrential rain and a very cold wind. Our poor elder daughter was unwell and it was our last day - what a bummer! We jumped in the car and decided to explore - not too far though! We thought we'd start off with the old town and see how far we could get on foot to see what the roads and pavements were like. We had only just set off and got as far as the reprieved barbers when the heavens opened yet again and we had to take shelter over the road, where the water fountain is. We thought we saw a familiar face in the barbers and sure enough, there was Bob ( of Jayne and bob) being pummelled and perfectly coiffured. So glad the barber has had a long reprieve, I can't imagine him not being there.
In between showers, we continued down the main road, sheltering and catching up with old friends now and then in the various shops that were opened. We ended up in cafe Leon for brunch. First time we have ever been there and is now a must for all future holidays.
I had an Irish coffee and a slice of carrot cake, the first real thing I'd eaten in over 24hrs, and it was amazing. Bob and Jayne coincidentally called in and introduced us to Levant, who was a wonderful host. I told him that I was going to make my way through the cake menu in August! Our youngest had a bacon sandwich and she said that it was the best bacon butty ever! OH had a mixed toastie and an Irish coffee and was very happy with his choice. Our elder daughter had stayed at home as she was still unwell poor thing but will look forward to trying cafe Leon in August when we are back.
We carried on down the steps that lead to the marina hotel and had a walk down the road by indigo beach club. A sudden downpour saw us sheltering in said beach club, along with upturned tables, half painted furnishings, sand paper, power tools and general chaos. Hard to believe that this will ready for business in a couple of weeks. It looks like derelict building right now.
We decided to head home as I was worried about our daughter but couldn't believe the deluge cascading down cardiac hill. It was a fully flowing river, water bottles and plastic carrier bags weaving their way down to the harbour. Out car was parked at the top of the hill  opposite fotos pizza, so the only was was up. We actually ended up stranded above the Pirat and had to cross the rapids about halfway up cardiac hill. A very nice van driver stopped and was offering us a lift up but our youngest was a bit wary of being kidlapped (she has watched  too many episodes of the rug rats) so we politely declined. I had a bit of a panic attack while crossing the river, I suddenly went very vertigous ( if that's a word). Instead of looking ahead, I looked down at the rapids, honestly it would have rivalled sakklikent! and felt like I was being swept away. I stood still in the middle and shrieked like a banshee 'help me!!!' My poor family were mortified but I couldn't move. Poor OH had to wade back and rescue me. We eventually made it back up cardiac hill to the bemused glances of passers by and home we went. I had to throw all our footwear in the washing machine as our trainers, converse and fit flops were covered in sludge, gravel and unmentionable muck!

The weather improved and the sun popped out so we had a drive down to kalamar bay and checked out kalamar beach club and the kuluube hotel. Workmen really busy and all is looking good for the summer season.

We met Bob and Jayne at parc Kalkan, (now the lemon garden) and admired the very talented art groups paintings and then ambled off to kaya on Friday night. It was their first time there and I'm pleased to say that they really enjoyed it. 3 of us had the special stuffed chicken which was divine, OH had the mixed grill (38 TL) and youngest had chicken sis. Kadir entertained with his usual brilliant magic tricks and a good night was had by all. Our poor elder daughter was still poorly so we went straight home as I don't like leaving her alone for too long.

Saturday, our last day was as perfect as you could imagine for a last day in Kalkan. We left at 6pm for Dalaman so had a full day to ourselves. The weather was fantastic, all trace of Fridays storms had cleared and the sun was blazing down. Our poorly daughter was still not well and had not eaten for 2 days. We went to fener for a really delicious breakfast but she couldn't manage it. She had a craving for salt and vinegar crisps and chewing gum so OH set off in the car and called in at every supermarket in Kalkan but no salt and vinegar crisps to be seen. He came back with paprika and sour cream Pringles! Of which I've just polished off while writing this blog! Of course they were no good to her but they definitely travelled home well and have given me a little taste of Kalkan while finishing off writing about our adventures.
We had a fab couple of hours around the pool yesterday with the fantastic mr and mrs Onelove and Bob and Jayne and felt quite tearful when Alper turned up with his driver to ferry us to Dalaman.

And so ends our Easter holiday in Kalkan. Another wonderful week of fun, sunshine, showers and sickness but the most fantastic week of the year so far! This was a much needed week as we had a rotten start to the year, an unexpected family bereavenent amongst other things and we really needed to kick back and just spend time as a family to lick our wounds and let our hair down. I can honestly say that  we did this and more. We made some wonderful new friends and spent quality time with valued old friends and are very much looking forward to coming back in august and doing it all again  8) 8) :D

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read and/or comment and give feedback. I do this because I love reading everyone's holiday reports, I devour every word written and your holiday reports keep me going until our next Kalkan holiday, so no pressure, but it's over to you lot now  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »
Oh Lizilu, I'm probably just as disappointed that you are home as you are....if that makes sense..? I've loved catching up with your blog and you have reminded us all why we love Kalkan so much and return year after year. Thank you so much for taking the time to post whilst you were there, I hope someone now carries the torch and keeps us all going till our own trips come around.
Loved your story about the cardiac hill rapids....sounded like that challenge they have for the finalists on "I'm a Celebrity.." so I understand your sudden overwhelming fear. Glad you found Cafe Leon...one of our favourites for an afternoon tea and cake stop. The carrot cakes is a particular favourite of mine :)
I hate to say this, but August will be here before you know it...in fact it will soon be Christmas ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:40:40 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
Sorry you are home too. I have enjoyed reading your blogs and getting a little taster of what we love about Kalkan and what is ahead of us later this year.
Sorry also that sickness spoiled some of your time, but Kalkan is so special that even a couple of poorly days are easily forgotten. Hope you are all well now.
Looking forward to your next instalment in August.
Thanks again for taking precious time out of your holiday to keep us lot happy.

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 07:21:04 AM »
Yes I totally agree with  K4E and suziq. Have really enjoyed your blog, infact I will reward you with a gold medal for your services! Fill free to call on me at any time to collect it.  :)
Will need to find cafe Leon in July. I must admit I miss the map that they used to have on KTLN.As a newbie last year it was invaluable. As a break from all her studying Charlotte and I went and had a cream tea yesterday so just know that cafe Leon will be right up our street…….yum yum  :)

Can I quickly highjack your post and apologise to suziq. It seems an appropriate time since I am posting right after her. Sorry suziq, when I joined the forum last year i registered as suzyq1 and didn't realise there was such a similar name. I'm sure there have been times that people have thought we are one and the same, but we are definitely two people. Apologies to you. I'm more than happy to change if it is confusing people?

Sorry about that Lizilu. Any way I hope you have all recovered and have a great Easter weekend. Thanks again for sharing your holiday in such an entertaining way and an even bigger thanks for managing to squeeze some sunshine into your cases  :) …Don't you just love this weather?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »
Thank you so much K4E, suziq and suzyq1.
I'm loving this sunshine too - hope it lasts and I'm very much looking forward to reading your holiday reports too.  8) :)
Kalkan seems like a distant dream away now. Well apart from the reminders that emit from the washing basket.  I managed to wash most of our gear before we came home but it still seems never ending. A but like the magic porridge pot!!  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal