Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Wi-Fi, TV  (Read 3778 times)

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
Wi-Fi, TV
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:52:10 PM »
Obviously many people are getting internet connectivity in their Kalkan homes at the moment. I would like to arrange to get a wi-fi service to my property but wondered what the best options are at the moment. Is fibre connection a better option now and available to most areas (I'm in Kisiltas)?  Is this with TTNET or are there others? And what about as part of a TV package? Any info would be useful as I know these technologies change rapidly. Thanks in anticipation.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11687.0

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Wi-Fi, TV
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »
I don't think fiberoptic is available in Kalkan.  The fastest speed is 8Mb.  The TV packages are in Turkish mainly with a limited selection of English channels, mostly news or very old movies.  You're better off with internet and filmon.com, IMHO.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »
Thanks Cosetta - i understand fibreoptic cables were being laid back in 2011 in Kalamar and Kisiltas (maybe all over now). I assume some people must be using this rather than ADSL.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:15 PM »
If you look on the Turk Telekom website, the fastest speed in Kalkan is still 8Mb.  I never heard that fiberoptic was available but will be delighted if true.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
That's very interesting, CG.  I just looked at the Turknet web site (the internet branch of Turk Telekom), here is the link:
http://www.ttnet.com.tr/bireysel/internet/ttnetfibernet/Sayfalar/TTNET-Fibernet.aspx

We have the €69 TL/month package.  It says the speed is 'up to' 20 Mb.  The reality is that they set it at 8 Mb.  I called to complain about this and was told that the maximum is 8.  Now maybe I have to cancel my old contract and get a new one, I will look into that.

To get ADSL, of course you need a contract.  Used to be a telephone contract and that had to be in the name of a Turkish national or you had to give a huge deposit left for as long as you have the phone line.

Our contract says we are entitled to TTNet Muzik.  But we cannot access it.  When I called them to ask about it, they said it is wrong !?  What the internet says and what is the case don't always match.

I will enquire about this at the TTNet/TurkTelekom office above the post office and see if they are really offering a faster service now.

------------------------

Now I've been through the entire TTNet website.  I tried to change my package but there is no option for a faster speed, only for more free time on mobil internet.  So I think the maximum speed is still 8 here in Kalkan.  However, I will go in person and check.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:32:40 PM by Cosetta »

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 06:41:37 AM »
Hi Cosetta

Will be good if you can keep us informed of your progress [ or even lack of it  :) ]

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
When I rented an apartment in town for 3 months I had an ADSL line installed (elsewhere this is sometimes called headless or naked ADSL as there is no phone line; not sure what it is called here).  Recep at Mavi Bilgisayar set it up for me (I needed to run cable from the telephone junction box), supplied the modem/router and cancelled the ADSL line when I moved out.

I paid 78TL a month for unlimited data (i.e. no throttling once you go over 5 gigabytes a month usage).  It worked as advertised with fast throughput.  I do not believe I ever achieved more than 8 mbs which was fine for most needs including filmon  (you can use www.speedtest.net to check how fast your ADSL actually is). 

Regarding filmon, they and similar services (e.g. Aereo) are under legal threat in the US from broadcasters.  Not sure what UK broadcasters think about them.  This only would affect you if you would consider going for one of their annual High Definition packages which allow you to record and playback programmes. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:21:30 PM by mark »
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Offline Hummingbird

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »
I don’t watch much TV in Kalkan but I have access to the Digiturk economic package together with slingbox and Sky go (via expat shield).

However I think there is a better way and I suggest members search “XBMC”.

This is an open source media player, meaning its available free to everyone! It offers many solutions including video streaming from multiple devices together with access to lots of live TV shows as well as some from a certain UK satellite broadcaster (including sports!!), terrestrial channels, movies, internet radio, games etc.  And it’s meant to be legitimate(?).

You can download it to your PC/Mac or run it on various devices including xbox, AppleTV (up to version 2) or a dedicated media box with HDMI out which you connect to your TV which are usually based on Android. You can even download it to a raspberry pi which can be a very cheap option.   

One issue I am considering is how much data it will be using, streaming video is very hungry.  I have an unlimited tariff with TTNET with speeds up to 8mb.  In reality the actual speed varies from 1mb up to 6mb but usually in the 3-5 mb range which is certainly good enough for streaming Standard def content and maybe HD on a good day.

One potential problem is that they have a fair use policy on my package (cost 78TL pm) at 50GB monthly and I believe at that point your surfing will reduce to a crawl. One option is to upgrade to the “full” 8mb service which is truly unlimited.  This is about 130TL per month if I remember correctly.  But against
this I will be saving the Digiturk cost, which I will cancel.

I am tempted with one of the dedicated Android media boxes which are not much larger than a packet of cigarettes (some even smaller).  You can spend between £40 - £120 depending on what options you want etc.  Most even output 1080P, you can also download an app to Smartphone to use as a remote control.

I have popped back to the UK for a few weeks and was going to buy a box on ebay but now I will probably wait until my first trip to Kalkan next March and in the meantime I will continue to connect my laptop to the TV which works very well but I find a bit of a “faff”.

The system is not foolproof because some of the links do not work but the options are huge and you can always find something to watch when you want to.

Anybody interested should search XBMC on ebay or indeed youtube which is full of content and tutorials.  It can be a bit “techie” especially loading onto PC but this is where youtube can be a great help.  I can provide information as well.

However I think using a dedicated media box version should be fine for everybody, especially if you purchase from a vendor who has a website that you can link to for easy updates and support.

Internet speed is important so I will be very interested with Cosetta’s research into fibre.  I am in Ortaalan and our telephone line was only installed under the road less than 2 years ago so I wonder if this is fibre that has had the speed limited?

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 01:03:18 AM »
Thanks a lot for all your useful information so far. Very helpful.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal