Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Almost Ready!  (Read 3929 times)

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Almost Ready!
« on: October 08, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »
Heading off today at 2pm for a lovely week with my girlfriends, so am delighted at the forecast, looking great for the week. Hubby is taking me to the airport, our Labrador is going walkies with our friends and then becomes 'daddies' boy for the week!  I will just enjoy showing my pals the lovely things that Kalkan has to offer and eating lovely food and chilling by our pool with a book and a chilled glass (or two)!

OH has gone into organisation mode, he has neatly packed my travel wallet and has gone through passport / tickets / lounge entry / money / transfer money / driver tip / spare coins / Tapu / travel insurance / apartment keys (x2) about 3 times since last night.  I have on the other hand left notes like 'defrost bread and buns each morning', refresh the dogs water regularly, don't over feed him, vacuum regularly and of course have stocked the fridge with food.

So.....think I may risk putting the thick sweater back in my cupboard and hope I don't need it and now concentrate solely on my 'chill out' time with my lovely pals!  I am aiming to post my holiday reports as often as I can as I always look forward to reading everyone else's when I am not there!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Almost Ready!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
Sure you'll all have a great time, like we always have. Think positive, dump the jumper I'm sure the weather will be lovely and it's certainly got to be better than here, dreary and damp today. Just eat, drink and chill and bring back some great memories to see you through the long winter ahead. Cheers!!

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
Hi Just back from Kalkan yesterday and you need to know that the evenings over the last few days have been decidedly chilly. We have needed warm jumpers and we have only eaten in restaurants that have a warm inside area (no roof terraces) I don't know what the forcast is for the coming week but it was very changeable over the last week including the amazing storm last Wednesday.

M

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi, hope you and your girlfriends have a fab week and that the weather is kind to you. I'm looking forward to your reports.  :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »
The Engineer is right, the evenings have been chilly for the last week or so....but the last few days have been glorious and it's getting hotter again. Bring something to cover your shoulders of an evening and you should be fine.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »
 :)go to sofra to eat. they had a log fire going tonight!

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 06:21:30 AM »
Lots of people eating outside last night but the evenings are now cooler.Some people covered up but lots out with no sleeves too.After the storm the days are really nice and sunny so it all good in Kalkan!!

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Back Now!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
Well that week flashed by so fast and here I am back in the cold UK.  Well I didn't manage to post daily reports as the signal in our place was on the blink the whole time!

However, no sweaters required all week.  The first evening was only a little chilly by about 9pm so a pashmina solved that one and then thereafter it was wall to wall sunshine and very warm evenings to boot.  Too warm for even a pashmina and we were able to sit out every night way past midnight with no chill at all.  We didn't see a cloud all week; quite beautiful...Saturday and Sunday got up to 33f and we had to hit the shade quite a lot.

We ate splendidly!  First night was Gironda as such a lovely setting and the food and service were lovely.  Sizzling chicken fajitas were fab.
Kalamaki was our second night and as usual the food was great.  Probably one of my favourites always.

We then had a lovely recommendation to do something a bit different.  Some friends gave me the number of Memhet who has a restaurant in Patara.  I called him and booked a table for the following evening, 'no problem I will come and pick you up'.  We can see the sunset.

So at 6pm he collected us from The Elixir which is easy for us to walk to from our apartment.  A big smile, Ah my Angels he giggled!  (3 girls) and off we went in his old Renault which has likely gone twice round the clock!  But we glided along the new road swiftly, he called his brother as we neared his little restaurant and he thrust 4 wine glasses, a bottle of red and a bottle of white through the window and we shot off up a dirt road to race the sun setting, me clutching the wine glasses with Mehmet clutching the bottles between his legs!

We made it in time to sit on the beach at the top of the dunes, overlooking the fabulous beach in the distance.  We cracked open the wine and savoured the wonderful beauty as the sun finally slipped away, leaving a beautiful sky and the arrival of some twinkling stars.  We chatted at length about his love of Patara and living there and then headed back to his restaurant where we enjoyed meze, barbecued sea bream and then pancakes with honey and lemon prepared by his wife.  We sat Turkish style on his cushions very comfortably and consumed more red wine (a lot more)!
Our bill arrived, 3 of us, including the return journey door to door...120TL.
He also has lovely gifts, including rugs, pots and carpets all at very reasonable prices.  We ended up bringing 2 Turkish carpets back..no money to pay, but 'no problem I will come to Kalkan tomorrow and you can pay then'.  There was no pressure to buy anything at all, he didn't even ask if we wanted to look, it was at our request,

So we gave him and his family 150 TL and he returned us safely back to our door, to return spot on 11am the next day for a lovely history lesson and of course to collect his well earned money.  What a fabulous evening we had and what a lovely young man he is.
We will remember that evening for a long time to come.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »
Wow, that's sounds like my kind of evening - patara beach at sunset, drinking wine and relaxing while the sun goes down and the stars begun twinkling! You're  almost forgiven for the lack of reports after that fab one you've just written!  :)
Would you be able to PM me mehmets contact number please? I'd love to try that next year.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
What a fantastic evening - sounds wonderful.  I too would like the contact details if you would be kind enough to pm me I would be grateful.  Glad you had a great break. :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »
wow that sounds totally amazing...I would also like Mehmets contact details please if its not too much trouble.
Sounds like he will be a busy man next year  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
PATARA Restaurant details
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 04:40:55 PM »
I am happy for everyone to have Mehmets number, he is a lovely guy and assuming you aren't all out there at the same time, hopefully his business will be spread out!

00905447710798  This is his mobile number from Turkey.

He will also come and collect your family if they are there with you as his brother can bring his car also.  Our neighbours are using him next week. 

Roll on next year I think!

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »
Thank you so much for the contact details, will definitely be calling them!
Also, your picture looks beautiful - I love Patara at that time of the evening.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
Thanks from me too. Your photo is lovely  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
If you hadn't already sold it to me with you post the picture would have sealed the deal. Cannot wait to do this next year.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Getting ready for the season

Started by alantj on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 03:56:15 PM
by alantj
thumbup
Getting ready for Kalkan

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

32 Replies
Last post June 26, 2016, 05:20:13 PM
by pw
xx
Ready or Not..here I come - new resident

Started by Lynnecurtis on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 08:29:41 PM
by Chucky
xx
Hot, ready cooked chicken.

Started by clara 50 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

22 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 08:06:36 PM
by sukiliz

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

the ivy

Views: 5068
By: The Ivy
Harbour Jan 08