Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Holmfirthnicky holiday report Sep '13  (Read 3871 times)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Holmfirthnicky holiday report Sep '13
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
Hi all, we got back last night from a lovely relaxing week in Kalkan staying at the Pirat hotel.
Had a smooth flight with Monarch and an even smoother transfer which we did through the hotel. Love that first glimpse that you get of Kalkan from the road. Got to hotel about 5 o' clock, unpacked, showered and changed in record time to get to hotel bar to say Merhaba to Reggae and have our first Efes and Raki!! Headed soon afterwards to Alternatif for our meal, stopped off first at Café leon to see Jane and Levant and booked in for the Turkish night on the Sat. Had a good meal at Alternatif but wasn't as good as we'd had there last year. We had a list of restaurants in our head before we came out but as we wandered through the town that all changed!!! Stephen totally took me by surprise by stopping outside Gironda and booking a table for the wed night as he wasn't impressed there last year although he says he ordered the wrong dish.
Then stopped at Escudo and spoke to Ismal and booked in for the Tues night. Popped in the pashmina shop to say hello to the lovely lady in there and said we'd be back later in week.(love her pashminas :) :)
Bimbled onto harbour when Stephen totally floored me again by bookng into Trio when he saw wild boar on the specials board! These guys always remember us and speak to us even though we've never eaten in there.

Tues; pool then Café Leon for lunch, spicy chicken wrap and chips and sarnie. Love this café and was lovely to see Dolly and Melleck the dogs again. More pool time then Stephen sloped off for his shave at the Pirat barbers.

Moonlight for pre dinner drinks, again the guys here very welcoming and pleased to see us back. On to Escudo for our meal, had beautiful seafood casserole and Persian lamb casserole. Popped in afterwards to see pashmina lady and buy 2 then onto Café del mar for iced  and Turkish coffees.

Wed; pool, Café leon for lunch, fresh from the oven delicious walnut and apple turnovers, yum yum. Kleo for predinner mojitos and efes then onto  Gironda. Love this restaurant, had seabass and Stephen had steak followed by baked pear and choc pud. Food really good and service very good. Stephen really enjoyed it this time round.

Thurs; pool(yes again!), Café leon for lunch(creatures of habit!), my fave spicy chicken wraps again and sarnie and chips for Stephen. Quite cloudy today but still hot. Drinks at Pirat bar then onto Trio. Had fabulous meal here, I had mango chicken and Stephen had his wildboar. It was quiet when we were in so they didn't rush us as I have heard they can rush you of it's busy but we had lovely night here and I have to say they have THE best looking staff ;) ;) Onto Café del mar for coffees and watching the world go by.

Fri; pool, Café leon lunch, famous fishcakes and bacon sarnies. Stephen had shave at Pirat then pre dinner drinks at Pirat and ate at Lipsos. Food was good but nothing spectacular. I had seafood casserole and Stephen had lamb kebab. The main guy here does a fire eating show, health and safety doesn't exsist in Turkey!!

Sat; usual stuff, pool, Café leon for lunch then back here for Turkish night, they did a chicken casserole for me and everybody else had beef casserole. What a lovely night it was, food was simple but delicious, really good value for money. Only thing was, Alternatif had 4 birthdays in that night so there was happy birthday blaring out constantly and fireworks and flares going off. Sorry if I sound like an old whinger!! Can't recall this happening much last year but it seems to be a constant thing now.

Sun; pool then Café leon for last lunch, ordered sarnies for airport. Had a walk along the harbour looking at the boats. Decided to try something completely different and eat at Hunkar tonight, went up early luckily, got a table easily enough but within minutes people were queueing on the pavement for a table! Ordered chicken and lamb shish kebabs and had the lovely puffy bread as a free starter. OMG(!), WHY have we not eaten here before :( :( wish we'd have found this place earlier in the week. After we'd eaten our meal I offered to sit on pavement and finish raki so they could have the table.
As we were on our way to Café leon there was the blackout, we both wanted coffee so had to wait till power came back on! Managed to get Turkish coffee and brandy and iced coffee before the lights went out again then had to wait for power to come back on to order 2nds! Kalkan was so eerie in the dark ! Said our goodbyes to everyone then headed off to bed.

So to sum up; had a lovely relaxing week, weather was beautiful, top 3 meals were Trio; Café leon Turkish night and Hunkar. Pirat was good but needs a lot of TLC in places, didn't notice this last year whilst we were there. The location and staff though are very good. Was lovely to see all the familiar faces again, you really do feel as though you're seeing friends again. When we left and had our last glimpse of the bay I had quite a few tears in my eyes as we don't know when or if we'll return. Nothing at all wrong with Kalkan but we have itchy feet now to start exploring other places. We've been to Turkey for the last 11 years and now want to start ticking places off our 'bucket list'. We have a 'taster cruise' booked on Queen Victoria next June to see if we'll enjoy a cruise as we want to do one to Australia or New Zealand. Also want to do Croatia, Italy, France, and Mexico amongst others.

So we've had 11 fantastic years holidaying in Turkey, Kalkan being our favourite. So thankyou Kalkan for 4 fabulous holidays,
tesekkurler and gule gule x

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11641.0
Nicky

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: Holmfirthnicky holiday report Sep '13
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »
Hi Nicky, sounds like you both had a wonderful relaxing holiday. We've never been to cafe Leon or cafe del mar yet but every year we vow to do so! We must pull our socks up next year as both sound so nice.
I feel sad for you as you left Kalkan. I always have a tear in my eye too as we turn that corner but to maybe never see it again?? I think I'd be inconsolable! However I can certainly understand that the world is a big place with so much more to discover!
Hope you still pop on the forum from time to time and sincerely hope that sometime in the future, you manage to fit another few Kalkan trips in. Meanwhile, have great fun discovering new places and making new memories. X :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
Many thanks for your lovely post Lizilu. I will keep an eye on the forum to see what's happening and I would like to think we will be back in Kalkan sometime. In an ideal world we'd have the time and money to do Kalkan and everywhere else!! x

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:27 PM »
Hi Nicky, just read your post too, and had a tear in my eye.  So glad you had a wonderful holiday, sounds like you had a fabulous time, and what a lovely hotel to spend it in, if you are moving on to pastures new, but hopefully one day you will return to beautiful Kalkan.  Hope that you said hi to Mehmet, Bahran and Shamus, they were absolutely wonderful guys waiting on everyone at the Pirat, and we had great fun talking to them every day.  As Lizzie says, please do pop in on EK from time to time to read up on what is going on!

Take Care

Jayne X

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
Hi Holmfirtnicky,

From now on HFN, OK ? What a mouthful  ;)

Yes,  it's a Big big world out there, Sooo much to see & lovely people to meet, I agree    8)

I have been to over 70 countries in my short ( kids say long ! ) life, but, sad some will say,
I'm Always drawn back to this little village ( town ) called Kalkan, it just gets under your skin, can't shake it off. So enjoy all the other places in the world you are going to visit, but, I bet , you, will one day be back in Beautiful Kalkan.....enjoy, OneLoveKalkan !

Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
Many thanks Jayne and Onelove. The guys at the Pirat are very good also the maids. Our room maid from last year even remembered us, how do they do it out of all the people they see?? Thanks again for your posts, HFN,  ;) ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »
Oh Nicky, I wasn't expecting that....I would be absolutely crying my eyes out leaving Kalkan not knowing when we might return and I hope you will continue to not only look in on us here on EK but post too...! We are going back to Cancun for New Year for a celebration holiday - and whilst we love it there, I don't relax quite the same way as I do in Kalkan.
Enjoy cruising and visiting those places you want to see before you get too old to enjoy them. I hope you will be back soon :) thanks for posting.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
Great report, Nicki, well done for giving so much detail. I feel for you, also, in your decision to travel. But as you say, the world really is a big place. I, too, desperately wanted to make Kalkan happen for us as a family late next year, but it can't happen.

Keep in touch!

Antler

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »
Glad you had a lovely relaxing holiday HFN! You are right in that there are many other beautiful interesting places in the world to discover. We have been so lucky that in the last few years we've been able to visit other places and still do our annual pilgrimage to Kalkan......don't know how long that will last. Enjoy all your amazing planned trips but I bet Kalkan will lure you back at some point  :laugh:

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »
Thanks all for your lovely posts. I will keep popping on the EK forum to have a nosey at what's happening. Kalkan will always have a piece of my heart.  :'( :'( x

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »
Nicky, I have the perfect solution for you. Fiona and I have always felt the same... Kalkan is lovely but there are so many other places to visit and life's so short, right?

Ok..so the perfect solution? Come and LIVE in Kalkan and then you can justify going elsewhere on holiday each year!!!! Works for us...we are just booking a trip to Jamaica in January... ;)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »
Meant Tanzore and poppadums.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
HOLIDAY REPORT

Started by TC on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 06:07:58 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
Holiday Report

Started by ladybird on Holiday Reports and Reviews

12 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 01:23:48 PM
by Chrissie
xx
May holiday report

Started by KalkanWilkie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 11:33:12 PM
by Skunk
smiley
Holiday report

Started by lyndsey on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 12:26:01 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal