Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes  (Read 12406 times)

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Changes
« on: September 27, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
Hi all, apologies for the long time no post but redundancy and house move took priority!
We went back to Kalkan for 2 weeks in September, last visit was September 2012.
Since 2008 we have visited both in May and September, had a break in 2013 and one visit this year.
Still loved the ambience (8am - 11pm), still loved Kosk, Trio, Lipsos, Yalis, etc, although we were puzzled by the price increases since last visit.
Taxi from Patara was 10TL, now min 15TL, quite often 17-18TL, quite a hike in 12 months?
My wife loves a signature dish at Aubergine, last visit 36TL, this year 54TL!
I know that its all relevant before people start mentioning UK prices etc, we paid it (apart from Aubergine!) but struggled to understand the massive increase.
One mitigating factor could be the fuel prices in Turkey which appear to be on par with the UK!
The average age of the visitors seems to have reduced greatly, and as you can see from my mention of the ambience 8-11 being good, across the bay the pumping bass music kept on going until 4am, I did most of my sleeping on the sun beds!
It would be good to find out other peoples views, such as is the music loud in the old town or other areas?
That way if we go back we may stay somewhere other than Patara Prince?
What do people think about pricing, the younger set moving in etc?
Speaking with a couple of bar and restaurant owners they were not too amused with the changes.
Having said that we had a lovely time, the gulet trip was fantastic (Pina-X1) and hospitality everywhere was second to none!
Cheers
Legionaire   

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11629.0
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
Re: Changes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
Think there must be another Kalkan because I'm stopping top of the old town and haven't heard anything untoward apart from my husbands snoring. It's been absolutely lovely in the evening sitting on our balcony looking out to see and there has been absolutely no noise. Haven't noticed any great price hikes but we haven't eaten by the harbour at night..We've been very surprised by the reasonable prices. Last night at Han two of us had sea bass two had lamb shanks two bottles of wine glass of wine bottle of water two starters and a lovely free plate of fruit and it came to 210tl roughly 70 pounds couldn't beat it.

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »
Thanks Joycie, it might be that the hill behind the town acts as a back stop and the noise travels across the water?
We noticed a couple of comments in our villa guest book about the noise levels.
We had not noticed it before but this villa was right on the very front of Patara Prince just above the swimming pool.
Yes the food is good value compared with UK but I was more interested if any one else had noticed an increase 2013-2014?
A gradual increase is harder to spot and we probably would not have noticed if we had our usual 2 trips in 2013..... :-\
Good news if the noise is minimal in the old town, we have rented a villa in that area before.
Thanks again

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »
I have eat at the harbour last week and your right the prices have gone up, but to be fair it's still great value imho. I do know that they pay Huge rents on the harbour, on top of that, gas / electric / fuel / water etc have All gone up so I suppose when you add all that up, prices Have to rise  :o

Im sat on our pool terrace in Kalamar Bay (20:00) and if someone dropped a pin I would hear it, Sooo peaceful, no music, no fireworks and no ( or next to no ) traffic...happy days :-))

Thanks for your report Legionaire, and glad to hear you had a lovely holiday and Still love Kalkan  ;)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
Thanks onelove, we have never tried a villa over that way, might be time for a change! >:D

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »
The £ to the lira has gone up by almost 10% since July, 12.5% since you were there so 45 lira is now the same cost to you as 40 lira last year. In May & July this year we found prices had gone up but the cost to us was actually cheaper than last year.

A taxi to our apartment from the harbour was 10 lira, including tip last year (on the meter) and the same in May & July this year, it will be interesting to see if it has changed when we arrive in 2 days. I do know fuel is now more expensive than anywhere in Europe, including the UK.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
Taxi to  a Fethiye 155l 210 return excellent we thought. Kalkan Antalya 160 pounds. The taxi driver got lost so it may have been cheaper.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »
I agree about the noise levels, I cannot understand why live music is stopped at 12.00 but the noise from the bars or rather chocolate and mojitos goes on for ever. We were there  early September and in Patara Prince and obviously noise travels across the water. However it was a lot quieter than last year and quite often the police were going round at around 11ish asking  some of the bars to turn the music down.

The most noise this year was from we think The Lykia having a Turkish evening. Unbelievable, how anyone can play music that loud, all of Kalkan must have heard it.

I find it interesting that these clubs still belt out music in September and October when most of the 'younger element' have left.

Perhaps these clubs should be soundproofed, then everyone can enjoy the parts of Kalkan that they like the best.

I can't believe anyone enjoys loud bass music all night, I often think how would the partygoers like that level of music playing between 5.00am and midday when they are trying to sleep. It is such a shame that there is loud music but maybe I am getting old!

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »
Just haven't heard any loud music at night or in the day.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 07:36:18 AM »
I live in the old town near the beach and we are never disturbed by loud music from the restaurants or bars at this side of town.

With more and more people renting out their apartments and villas we have seen a change in the age/type of tourists coming to Kalkan over the years.Guess its only to be expected.

Thank goodness the exchange rate is so favourable to Brits at the moment.Havent heard too many complaints about prices around town although the "less posh" places seems more popular than ever.

Kalkan is still beautiful and a wonderful place to chill!!!!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »
Legionaire - a very interesting post, just after a very short break you have noticed the changes.  We are located located near the market & hear very little, perhaps the weddings at the bus station the odd loud evening in one of the restaurants but otherwise not a lot & as you say it does bounce off the mountain side & some locations get it worse than others.  We do though seem to get a lot of very loud renters in properties let out near & around us these days, they seem totally unaware of how loud they are & how their voices travel & these are not 'the younger set'.  Try a different area for your next visit.   
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
weddings at the bus station???????????

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
 :)yes

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 06:50:13 AM »
Helshe - where have you been, wedding partys at the bus station have been going on for some years now & with fireworks !!!

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
Helshe - where have you been, wedding partys at the bus station have been going on for some years now & with fireworks !!!

I must have been spending too much of my time the other end of town keeping the gin industry ticking over!! I will have to look out for these events in future

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
You don't need to look out for them, Helshe ...you can hear them all over Kalkan!!

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, we will try another area, it must be my age catching up with me!! :(
Legionaire

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 06:41:17 AM »
Age has nothing to do with it- it's lack of consideration, selfishness & 'we are ok jack never mind the others'.  Hope your next visit is quieter for you.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Lovely lovely Kalkan
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »
We were going to go to Tanzore tonight but the power had failed again so we were wandering by Agora and decided  to give it a go. Boy we were not disappointed. We had a beautiful starter to share of Filo pastry followed by the house special of sea bass Bri had the sole and Dave had the moussaka. Absolutely delicious. We'd already had a complimentary starter of bread and dips and the main meal was the best ever. Even Bris mushy peas were superb served with sole and chips. Sounds very common but absolutely delicious. Then we had a fresh fruit dessert to share again wonderful. We'd had a bottle of Angora red two glasses of red and three glasses of white coffees or apple teas  on the house and the bill 50 pounds per couple . Absolutely fabulous thoroughly recommend and still Tanzore to do.
Loads of power cuts but mainly in the middle of e night. Unfortunately last night quite early and us in the middle of a game of crib. Power went off so Dave and Mor decided to go to bed five mins later on came the power so there we were back on the terrace in our nightclothes finishing the game. Blimey before we could win off goes the power again so back to bed. Never mind perhaps tomorrow .

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
Sounds like you're getting back into the swing of enjoying your holiday Joycie   :) whereabouts is Agora please?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal