Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes  (Read 12423 times)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Changes
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »
I have to say that wearing bikini tops and skimpy shorts and bare chested men walking around the town and shopping in Yali are unnecessary and disrespectful.  That sort of attire should be left to the beach and pool and I agree with OneLove - when in Rome etc etc...

Ask yourself just one question - do you see ANYBODY wandering around the centre of your local town or around Tesco in a bikini top - NEVER!! Even if we had the weather - it just wouldn't happen so if it is not OK to do that in your local shop/town centre - why should it be OK to do so on holiday and particularly in a moslem country!! >:(
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 11:13:12 AM »
I saw several topless men of all ages in Yali Supermarket last month and I just think it's wrong. It's one thing in the streets (although I still I don't like it) but sweaty chests hovering over the fresh produce in shops - urrrggggh.

Felicity - I have seen many topless men walking around my local supermarket in the UK (I live in a seaside town so not sure if this makes a difference). I had a Victor Meldrew moment in the summer and wrote an angry email - they have now put a sign up banning it!

Offline Bee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
Totally agree Felicity. I don't think I have ever seen a shirtless man or bikini clad women walking around Sainsbury so why do they think it's OK?

It has always been the case in Kalkan that you would see the odd one or two but having just returned from a quick week I have to say I personally noticed the changes this year. Having lunch at the Aubergine, a group of girls, with let's say, not the best figures in the world walked by in Bikini tops and shorts. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said the average size of them was a Uk 18. Firstly, it's totally disrespectful and secondly an ugly sight for anyone to look at. We wasn't the only ones to comment on them, and I felt embarrassed to be English.

The following day, late morning,at the Merkez we witnessed a drunken argument between a man and his wife, who decided that everyone around them would have to listen to their foul language and bickering, which went on and on, only to break for a drag on their cigarettes and the ordering of 2 more drinks. And yes, it was late morning.

We then spent a great evening back at the Aubergine at the Jazz night until a women, probably in her 50's, who was seated at the next table with a group of friends,  got up and lent over our husbands, purposely exposing her huge cleavage, pretending to be the owner of the restaurant and asking if everything was OK with our meal and were we having a good time. The conversation was directed to the men and I am in not doubt it was a bet to see if she got a reaction, which she didn't. Following on from that, an hour of so later, I felt some hands wrap themselves around my chin and a big lingering kiss on my cheek. When I looked it was a women  :o :o who I have never met before and never want to meet again. She said she just had to do it  :-\ What a strange evening.

We have been coming to Kalkan since 1994 and have watched the changes along the way. None of them have ever deterred us from coming back. Kalkan still has it's charm. Still has great views. Still has great restaurants and on the whole some kind hearted people, but for me it's now changing in a different way. Gone are the lovely tones of the discerning traveller. The warm hospitality in some of the restaurants and the cleanliness of some of the wash rooms.

I also felt the stress in the driving. Lot's more cars and bikes, driving at speed through the town. I felt a pressure each time we got in the car.

Maybe as I have grown older, I now see it very differently. For many it's still a great holiday destination or a great place to live and one day we will come back. But for us, in the meantime, it's time to move onto somewhere new.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
 :)jen jen. wonder if you live in the same seaside town as me then! tesco and town area full of what we call (grey bra ladies) and nearly every man is sporting a bare chest. lol :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
I wonder if this decrease in people standards is relative to the increased number of Package Holidays to Kalkan?
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »
The reason we don't see bare chested men in the streets where we live is because I don't live in a holiday resort. However, I visit holiday resorts in the UK and Europe and people do wander around the streets in beachwear - they are on holiday  ::) I wouldn't do it, but I have no problem with others who are on holiday, in a seaside town who do. I utterly agree, they should cover up in restaurants, bars and supermarkets, absolutely.
I also agree a lot of the people who do go bare chested, wear bikini tops etc are not the right shape to do so, but it is their choice. Plenty of things offend my eyes that bear no relation to this - socks and sandals for one - but that is the wearers choice. I'm pretty sure the people who do go without their (wife-beater) t shirts or wear skimpy shorts do not think they are being disrespectful as they are in a holiday resort, by the sea. For them it is the time and place - they are hardly in Rome...! Kalkan is a seaside village, go to any other seaside village along the Med - muslim or otherwise and you will see exactly the same. Why should Kalkan be any different? I don't think we have the right to judge or decide what people should wear (or not wear as the case may be...) on holiday...by the sea. Just my opinion, to which I believe I'm entitled :)

Babs...its a very small discreet hidden tattoo so I hope that sways your thinking...? :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure the people who do go without their (wife-beater) t shirts or wear skimpy shorts do not think they are being disrespectful as they are in a holiday resort, by the sea. For them it is the time and place - they are hardly in Rome...! Kalkan is a seaside village, go to any other seaside village along the Med - muslim or otherwise and you will see exactly the same. Why should Kalkan be any different? I don't think we have the right to judge or decide what people should wear

You're right. People have the choice on how to dress, what parts of their body to show, and how to behave But, in my opinion, the local businesses will only respond to the type of clientele they are catering for. Like it or not, the demographics have changed, which was inevitable and along with that the village will change too.  :-\

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »
Delighted to say I will be available for research for the next 9 days  :laugh:
K4E.....you're forgiven!  :laugh:

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
Bee, thanks for your response, I thought it was only me noticing "The Changes" !! :(
We still love Kalkan but will be trying somewhere else next year, just to see if we can capture again what made us return twice a year for 4 years........
It is still a lovely holiday destination, just changing........ :-\
Legionaire
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal