Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Kalkan 2013 Holiday: Thank You - and Goodbye!  (Read 8331 times)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Antler's Kalkan 2013 Holiday: Thank You - and Goodbye!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
When I woke up this morning, I felt an unexplained sadness - then I realised it was because it was your last day in Kalkan, and I felt your pain. Your holiday highlights have been an absolute pleasure and delight to read every morning - your happiness shone through - King of the Castle in Villa Kismet. Thanks for sharing in such joyous detail - what a fabulous time you have all had, and what wonderful family memories you have created!

I'm impressed with how early you appeared to be up, about and online on holiday - especially after all those impressive cocktails and vats of vino the night before. You must have got the balance just right. There's nothing worse than waking up after an indulgent night, full of regrets, head throbbing, and wanting nothing more than to lie down in a darkened room all day. Thank goodness you didn't succumb.

Even though I've been going to Kalkan for many years, you've given me lots of inspiration to do new and different things on my next visit. I loved how you made every day an adventure, and had such a positive approach to everything - so refreshing after much of the negativity that has been around. Your final summing up was very honest and heartfelt - I feel exactly the same way.

Having to pack up and come home after such a great holiday is always grim. I used to be choking back the tears all the way home. But since I've been fortunate enough to get a little place of my own out there - all that has stopped, because I know it's only a matter of weeks until I am back again. Perhaps that will be your next move Antler?

Hope you had a safe flight home, albeit with a heavy heart, and I reckon by Sunday dinnertime, you'll be whipping up cocktails and feasts again in your Wetherby kitchen, and planning your next visit.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 08:33:02 PM »
I agree with you Antler, Kalkan is what you make of it.

The hills don't have to be a deal breaker, that's what gives us the views, there are always taxis at a very reasonable cost if you don't want to walk back up the hill.

You don't have to eat anywhere you don't want to, there are so many lovely places that don't put on any pressure.

You don't have to spend a fortune, there are so many reasonably priced places to eat with really good food.

Eating at home when you have a lovely view (provided you can cook, if not then so many places deliver) can be a lovely experience.

You don't have to do what you did last year. You and the place you are visiting move on, that doesn't mean it has deteriorated. What was great last year may not be what you want this year but there will be things this year that are great for you now.

After 10 years we still love it but, like Antler, have changed a bit what we do.

It will take a lot to make us move on.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
Thanks Antler......it's been brilliant! I think we've laughed and cried with you. I'm sure you all had an amazing time

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »
Absolutely loved your daily blogs/videos - the final blog of your holiday in Kalkan is just brilliant... sums up exactly how most of us feel about this special place and it brought a tear to my eye :'(
I too am impressed with how you managed to be up at the crack of dawn despite the odd cocktail or 3 the night before - only time I get to see the sunrise in Kalkan is when we arrive from the airport after a late night flight - but your video clips have convinced me to get up earlier when we are in Kalkan in a couple of weeks to witness the start of another beautiful day.
I admire the way you have made the most of every minute of every day of your precious time in Kalkan - thanks for the memories Antler and don't stay away too long :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 08:18:53 AM »
Oh, wow, thank you all SO much for your lovely responses, it really made a difference for me.

I really enjoyed my “Fish & Chips” and special Avamos Rose wine at Adam’s Restaurant. No wonder his poor wife has painful, arthritic hands with all that chopping of the salad. Then, a few hours in the pool, getting out at 5.45pm as the mini bus came at 6.15pm. I showered under the scorching sun. Talk about Last Minute dot Com!

I slept most of the way to Dalaman, where we had quite an incredible experience. Busy, but no queues. Straight through Jet2 check in, no queue at Passport Control – and no queue at the Sunset Bar? What was going on?  The lady poured me a large Efes as I made light of something and she responded “I like you, here you go my friend, have a free sandwich!”  And I noticed that a Chicken Kebab with Fries and a large Coke was something like TL28?? Hardly bank breaking stuff, so maybe they have been listening?!

Jet2 was uninspiring, but safe. An old 757/200, no recline. The guy sat in 15E next to me was a very large gentleman that needed all arm rests. He had bushy, hairy arms and as I drifted off to sleep, the hair kept stroking my arms and made me jump as I thought I was being attacked by a furry cat!

Mrs A was freezing cold, as we all were, and asked for a blanket. “Sorry, we only have one and I have just given it out. It’s because you are sat by the door.” Obviously her mother brought her up well.

It took an hour for the cases to come on to the carrousel and the rain was just stopping as we got into our taxi and then home soon after 3am.

Monty is calling me from the kennels and Ryanair are pushing me to check-in, or pay the penalty at the airport, for tomorrow’s flight to Barcelona where I am until Wednesday night; then more business in Porto until 23rd.

And Kalkan will be just a memory once more. But a lasting and very positive one, at that.

Once again, lovely comments from you all.

Thank you and take care,

Antler

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
hey!! welcome back to the real world...normal everday things and weather predicted on Sunday of high winds and heavy rain...everything has a silver lining so they say and I would gladly have swapped a large man with hairy arms for the wedding party of 40 all hammered after a heavy nights drinking and a 3 hour delay at Gatwick :o ..they were going to where they called Disaronu..no not the liquor but Hisaronu near Olu.....I hope Monty forgives you for going on hols and i'm sure a piece of fillet has his name written on it..our cat "George" always gives us the cold shoulder for the first couple of hours..walking away from us  with his tail in the air showing his bum which resembles a very small pork pie!still a piece of cod later from the chippy and all is forgiven and is a small price to pay for him allowing us to go to Kalkan.. I have enjoyed being part of your holiday and you summed up Kalkan very well,as soon as the light bulb and combustion engine were invented everwhere was going to change as long as you weren't on an Amish ranch!.Who knows perhaps we will meet again? Next year is booked villa and outward flight, I wish I were there now Bean bags outside Café  Ev a bottle of rose for mrs L and an ice cold Efes for moi! Anyway remember when works going bad...we only do it so kalkan is reachable
ta ta for now ;)

People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »
Have put a few photos in the Gallery. (And managed not to have a drink.....until 4pm!)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
Just wanted to put all my video bites in one place, linked below, as I felt I had hijacked onelove's post eatlier....

(I think I personally must have watched the Patara Sunset video over one hundred times!)

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/channel/UCzOVukAIMqC6HHclx8V8mtg?feature=guide

Antler

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sunset over Kalkan

Views: 4056
By: alisonh
Theatre at Kas