Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Kalkan 2013 Holiday: Thank You - and Goodbye!  (Read 8335 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Kalkan 2013 Holiday: Thank You - and Goodbye!
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:51 AM »
For dinner last night, our last night of this Kalkan 2013 Holiday, we chose Sofra. We chose it because the staff were not pushy, just honest, genuine people, it has a beautiful view and an interesting menu. With a classical guitarist quietly playing in the background, Sofra delivered at our final moment.

We actually enjoyed a starters here, too, with some having the Meze & several of us the Garlic Mushrooms & Prawns. For the mains, most were off their Specials Board - and also, the waiter-recommended Anatolian Chicken (butterflied chicken breast, rolled up and stuffed with cheese, spinach and I forget what else). I chose Lambs Liver from the same Specials Menu, tender with flavours lifted by a hint of chilli.

Our dinner was all about us. Enjoying good, honest food, pleasant conversation with family and friends without intrusion from over-zealous waiters wanting to top your glass up because you have just drank half a mouthful.

It may sound a bit strange, but the style of food at Sofra made me feel as though I was in Turkey.
And I couldn’t argue with that.

It was a steaming hot evening, as had been the day, so we wandered down through the narrow streets to kiss goodbye to the Harbour, stopping for cold bottles of water in a side street mini-market – 3 bottles of chilled water for TL1.5. Kalkan isn’t changing then?

Osman & Zeynep were out doing an evening BBQ, but Adam was there for us to wish them all farewell.

A taxi from the Pirat sped us up Cardiac Hill and along to Villa Kismet where, by now, I was ready for my final midnight swim. And so the day ended - and our holiday - at peace with the world.

Well not quite, as today, we have opted for early lunch at Adam’s Place. There will be nine of us at a table under the shade on their lower terrace. And I have pre-ordered Fish & Chips. How dreadful, I can hear some say – whatever next?! Fishbowls, lasers, bare-chested Brits and Karaoke?  I don’t think so. A fillet of fish, a bowl of diced salad where the juices run red, plus some chips from potatoes from Bezirgan. I will be in and looking out at paradise.

Then, as I finish my last glass of too much wine, I shall wander up to Table One and have my last moment of solitude, looking out across the small islands and towards Meis and I will reflect upon the special moments from this fabulous holiday, where I have enjoyed every single mouthful..

The laughter from Bex, yesterday, as I shot my stupid video doing the Crocs test…

Osman telling off Zeynep when the large fish flipped back out of her net….

The turtles bobbing up for some air just off the Town beach….

The woman asking me where I got the fish, as she could smell them cooking from her Villa up behind us…….and Mehmet’s tears of  laughter when I said they came from my hairdresser…..

Banter with Yusuf, the butcher, now that he has enough hair to get married….

The sunset at Patara before we gave our borrowed beach back to the turtles.

And above all of that, feeling and observing the family all around me having a really good time.

So, is Kalkan changing?  Of course it is. The locals told me there are 5 new Kebab shops open this year. It has to change, it cannot stay in a time warp. I have a large, Corporate slogan outside my office door which reminds me “No Change = No Future.” I cannot change Kalkan and don’t think I even want to. But I can change my approach to it. I can find my relative peace and quiet at lunchtimes at Café’s Vita, Ev and Adam’s Restaurant. And at night, the tranquillity of my own rooftop or balcony, leaving the busy and noisy centre of Town for those that like it that way. No “Hi, Ho Silver Lining” at moonlight for me. But different does not have to equal wrong.

No, Kalkan is not changing and will never change for me. It is in my heart and will stay that way. I just can’t stop lovin’ it!  Many times this holiday I have played Michael Jackson’s “I just can’t stop loving you” on my iPod, to remind me of how I feel about Kalkan:

“Each time the wind blows
I hear your voice so
I call your name . .
Whispers at morning
Our love is dawning
Heaven's glad you came”

And the only bit of advice I can give to anyone, thinking of visiting Kalkan for the first time, or again, is best sung out by Oleta Adams, like on my little Kalkan Sunset Video.

“I don’t care how you get here, just get here if you can”.

Wherever you go on holiday, I hope you, too, have a fabulous time, travel safe and really enjoy.

Happy Weekend!

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11595.0
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:14:58 PM by antler »

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Antler's Kalkan 2013 Holiday: Thank You - and Goodbye!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:01:06 AM »
Brilliant. Says it all. Have a fabulous last lunch at Adam's place and a safe journey home. On Friday 13th though...who planned that???  :o :o ;D

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:12:15 AM »
The lengths I will go to, Martyn, to knock fifty quid off the flight price - indeed!

;D

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:16:18 AM »
Lovely ending , it brought tears to my eyes . Thank you for sharing your holiday .
Lynne

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:22:57 AM »
It was my pleaseure, Lynne, and Thank You for the feedback, which is much appreciated.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »
Wonderful Antler, thank you soooo much, we wish you a wonderful last day and safe journey home -  fantastic memories to enjoy, until next year :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 08:23:56 AM »
Thank You, Irene. I have appreciated your comments throughout our stay here. (I am sat watching the boats go out from my balcony - and not choked at all!!!!)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 08:46:01 AM »
Have a safe journey home antler and family and thanks for your wonderful reports. You have captured the essence of what we all love about Kalkan. We may all have different holiday experiences, but we all share the magic of Kalkan.  :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »
Thank You, Lizilu20. I appreciate your kind comments. Have a nice weekend.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »
Thanks Antler for sharing your wonderful holiday and keeping us entertained!
Have a safe journey home.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
Just read your last blog of this holiday.  As I write this I guess you may already be sitting at Adam's ready for your "fish and chips" and gazing out over the view.

There is something special about an early lunch at Kalkan just before leaving for a flight.  I get quite cross if I can't find a flight which allows time for a relaxing (even if very early) lunch with a beautiful view.  Doy Doy or Akin are favourites for that lunch.  Sipping a large g. and t. whilst ordering (and because of flights that g and t may be really rather early in the day!  Knowing the packing and tidying up are all done.  Then relaxing with delicious food gazing out over the bay and planning the next visit!

So, enjoy your lunch at Adam's and safe journey home.   Hope Mrs Antlers shoulder has been improved by the time in Kalkan.   Give her my very best wishes.

We will await further holiday blogs in the future.

Offline Diddydido

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
Antler thank you very much for your beautifully written reports, i feel like i have been there with you , loved all the video clips , especially the crocs one, lol recalling it  :laugh:
Have a wonderful lunch and a safe journey home .
(going to miss your reports) :'(
 9 days until we arrive in Kalkan for the 1st time and i know we will thoroughly enjoy it.

Thank you
 Di.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
*sob sob sob*

How beautifully written, so atmospheric, so true.
Thank you for sharing your holiday with us over the past 2 weeks....boy it's flown by :(
A special thank you from me and BH for giving us a right giggle over the crocs test...we've replayed it and are still laughing to the point of tears each time. We've decided you belong in the pop group Madness :)

So glad you enjoyed Sofra - its one of our favourite restaurants and I make no apologies for saying again, it has probably the best view of any rooftop restaurant in Kalkan if you have a frontline table - which I'm sure you did ;)

Have a safe journey home and please book your next visit to Kalkan very soon  :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
Many thanks for taking the time and effort sharing you holiday and thoughts. Every year I read your blogs, every year I enjoy your holiday.. every year Mrs H asks when is Antler in Kalkan or what did he do yesterday.. every year we vow to be more organised and get round to doing 'lunch at Adams' 'chefs at home' etc. guess what, every year we fail and put it on the list for next time.

Thanks again and have a safe journey home.
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »
Thanks Antler for your excellent posts. I think we all feel like we've been with you in Kalkan!! Sofra is somewhere we've always said we'd try and never gotten round to it, may have to put it on the list now for when we go in a weeks time :) :) :)
Have a safe journey home and enjoy your fish and chips!!
Nicky

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:06:13 AM »
Oh Antler what a magical reminisce of your holiday. I was there with you. On Monday we will be there ourselves for three whole weeks and nothing over the years has taken away the excitement of getting ready to go to Kalkan.
Immediately I arrive I'm on holiday it's Kalkan the love of my life. Well along with a slightly grumpy 70 year old who loves it as much as I do. The thought of a fillet steak or two giving a little to the lovely dogs who normally follow us home. Barbecue on the terrace a glass of red wine or two Efes by the gallon and watching the boats go out in the morning over a lovely coffee at Feners.MAGICAL or what!

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
Thank you, thank you, so, so much for your wonderful blog.  You capture the essence of Kalkan, that magical quality that has us all hooked and keeps us coming back.  Eight days and we'll be there, seeing those views, seeing those smiles.  Hurry back to Kalkan and keep blogging!  :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
The lengths I will go to, Martyn, to knock fifty quid off the flight price - indeed!

;D

I should have realised... ;)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »
Have a safe journey home Antler, we have thoroughly enjoyed reading your holiday reports, enjoy our fish and chips!

Jayne & Bob

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 05:03:28 PM »
What a fab  post Antler, your summing up about " has Kalkan changed" is simply perfect  " it has and has not changed  for you " exactly how  we feel  about Kalkan. I am out in 2 weeks ,  and come what may, whether it be lasers,goldfish bowls or anything else that changes the perception of Kalkan  , it will not affect how I feel about Kalkan , If I could not get a flight out  I would  bloody well swim all the way from the UK to get out  there ,   to what is still  our home from home in a very special place

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal