Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Holiday - Day 12 - Sept 12th  (Read 4884 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Holiday - Day 12 - Sept 12th
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:11:28 AM »
Yesterday did not quite go as planned, although I use the term “plan” loosely.  After breakfast and posting the blog, Mrs A and I would walk down to the harbour for a mooch around and take some photos, calling back in for a pint of milk on the way back.

It was already pretty hot as the temperatures increase by 1C day-by-day, again. I think the forecast says 37 / 38C for the next few days.

At the forefront of our minds - and the real reason for intending to go down to the harbour - was to select a restaurant for our last night. We wanted to try a new experience for us all. My concern in that part of the Town is the competitive noise amongst the bars and eating places. As it happened, yesterday morning, we came across a new place we had not been to before and went in, walking up the stairs to the rooftop on the third floor, as we called out “Hello?”

I immediately felt comfortable, as the staff were not “in your face”, they were just in there quietly having a late breakfast or lunch and we chatted about the menu, their Specials and the view. We liked their approach and decided to choose a table. Now, I am so looking forward to trying this later today…….

Thrilled that we had decided that, we decided to call in at Yusuf’s and see if he had any fillet steak. There was a queue of 5 or 6 local guys and so I just mouthed at him in an exaggerated way “fillet steak, come back” and he nodded with his eyes. Good man!

With a late dinner scheduled at Mussakka tonight, we could afford a late lunch and so it would be a shame to have to come this way again; so I called Mehmet to seek a shave and luckily he was free.
Well over an hour later, not only cleanly shaven, but Mrs A had had her shoulder massaged and Mehmet also gave my whole back a massage, too. It was a fabulous feeling, floating back along the Kalamar Road, despite that being the last shave of my holiday. Mehmet left it to me to decide the bill.

Yusuf had managed his queue and called to the back of the shop for my 1.690kg of fillet to be brought out. “Clean?” he asked, and I confirmed I would like it trimmed of any fat or sinew. At TL50/55 per kilo, it’s a fantastic buy over here, being not much over half the price of Morrison’s.
The Greengrocers next for some limes, coriander, mint, spring onions and sweet cherry tomatoes.

In less than 45 minutes from arriving back at the Villa, I was on the patio, thinly slicing this medium fillet steak onto the two dishes of fresh, herby salad and finished with a small spoon full of the Thai dressing.  £5.75 a head. Amazing.

It was hot yesterday afternoon, so it was spent in the pool until the sun started to drop down towards the hill over Kalamar Bay – the signal to take a large Vodka, Grenadine & Tonic up onto the roof terrace to watch the sunset.

It was 8.30pm before I took a shower and we were at Mussakka for our street line table booking, soon after 9pm.

This was the 11th night of our holiday and it seemed hard to believe that all of us had not been out together for dinner on an evening since we got here; this was our first occasion. But that was deliberate as we have had a choice and chose to do what we enjoyed most. Staying in this Villa, in this particular location, has been an absolute treat. An incredible holiday - a holiday of a life time. Yesterday, I was depressed at the thought of leaving here and now, having processed that, I just want to reflect on the amazing memories we have of staying here and having a real, family time.

Dinner at Mussakka was spot on as Mussakka does what it says on the tin. Consistently.           Summer steaks, steaks in plum sauce, Surf ‘n’Turf, Calamari & King Prawns……..a lovely meal.
I opted for their signature dish, Aubergine Moussaka, choosing to leave the dome of rice in favour of their home made chips!

The only “incident” was with a cat. Rick had enjoyed peeling the shell from this giant prawn on top of his fillet steak, and his fingers must have smelled of it. As we relaxed towards the end of the evening, I heard “Ouch!” as a cat went for his finger under the table, drawing blood. It would have been funny, had it not been so painful! 

Even though we enjoyed our meal, we couldn’t linger here as the thought of our peaceful terrace by the pool, looking out across the beach on a starry night, was enough to lead us back up the steps & home.

Now, at 7.45am, the sun is already on Kalamar Bay, Hassan has been to do the pool and Adolf the cat with the white face and markings of a moustache like Hitler, is looking at me longing for some more lamb.

Let’s go and see what I can find him…

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11590.0

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Antler's Holiday - Day 12 - Sept 12th
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:43:52 AM »
Great reports Antler, this is fantastic reading with my first cup of coffee!  I encountered the same cat (s) , he was looking so lovingly at me, I saved him a tiny piece of prawn, and ignoring my husbands advice 'don't feed the animals until we get outside' - I popped my hand down to give the prawn - not realising there were two more under my chair - all three grabbed hold of my hand with their claws, scrapping for the tasty morsel!  - it was not a pretty sight & very painful!  Thank you so much for all your postings - don't think about leaving, start planning next year!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:23 AM »
Great reports Antler. I'm intrigued to know which restaurant you have chosen for your last night! We've said this time we want to try different ones instead of going back to the 'old faithful's and we only just this morning had a discussion at breakfast about where we would choose for our last night in Kalkan,(forward planning I know as we're not even there yet!!). We did say we'd both happily go back to Kalamaki as that is one of our steadfast favourites but if another new option came up then you never know....
Nicky

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »
Another fantastic report, Antler.
Glad Mussakka lived up to its billing - I have to say it just shaded it this year as our favourite restaurant. We tend to go with the restaurant we enjoyed the most on that trip for our last night but if you followed that rule I guess you'd be staying at Villa Kismet?
Enjoy your last couple of days... :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
Another great report, just been catching up with them all, and the videos, hope you are not in trouble for spending too much time on the laptop!

Just booked my tickets for 30/9-6/10 when I'll be out doing some more 360 virtual tours including some from around town (any location suggestions ) and then back again 2/11-8/11 (with OH to see what jobs need doing over winter pay bills and any other excuses I can find) returning home via a weekend in Istanbul .
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:42 PM »
Have you done a market day 360 yet? can't remember.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »
No, we opted for a tranquil morning on the Town Beach, Kalkan4eva.

Here it is:

http://youtu.be/YIe6qlwsCu0

It was all perfect and lovely, until........bursts of laughter broke out?

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
Wow this technology thing is wonderful.  Here I am sat at my desk eating my lunch catching up with Antler on his hols and at the same time he posts a vid of the beach I will be at in just 3 days (was going to say 3 short days but when you are getting ready for your holidays they tend to be long days).  Just getting me in the mood nicely.  Thank you.

Jo

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
Thanks Jo, it was absolutely lovely on the beach, so tranquil and sleepy....

Until I had to do the Tesco Crocs Test, that Kalkan4eva had insisted upon....?

http://youtu.be/7TsUg2oTMcU

K4E - did they pass - YOU decide?!

Antler

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »
KK4E good one.. no I haven't done the Market yet, back in 2011 when I shot the original images I needed to take many photos in a circle and stitch them together, crowded places were a nightmare (buildings don't move but people do!) but with my latest lens (only 3 images are required) and updated software it should be possible so I'll give it a try.
The existing tour can be seen here :http://www.gyrapix.co.uk/360/tours/Kalkan_Town/_auto/Gyrapix_Project14.html it was shot Nov2011

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
And normal service was resumed as the boats went out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9-UQI7iUKI

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
One after another they went out...

http://youtu.be/IHu2ll5frdQ

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 03:31:48 PM »
And Bex swam out to almost touch the turtles, but too late for me to catch on video...

http://youtu.be/JBKrX7Rw9OI

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Thanks Antler, I just gone through all your videos and loved every second of them, Janet has just remarked that 6 weeks today we'll be there enjoying it in the flesh. I'll have to send the link to our friends we are introducing to the delights this time. Loved the comment about Osman feeling guilty about putting the price up so now include home made chips. As you say for less than £17 you get a day at sea, worth twice as much any day.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Oh how I laughed at your croc test...and yes they pass with flying colours!!!
I did notice you were the Kleo end of the beach so there's less of a slope to climb getting out of the water but your entrance and exit were worthy of a pro.
Congratulations.....and indeed every little helps ;)
Totally cheered me up on this grey UK day. Enjoy tonight and your last day tomorrow.
Was that Mrs Antler laughing...it did make me chuckle :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 08:02:24 PM »
Yes the Crocs test has just made us laugh too K4E, definitely cheered us up on a rainy night in not so sunny Dorset anymore!

Jayne

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 08:33:41 PM »
A very impressive entrance and exit Antler.....I'd say they passed the test!  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 8 - Sept 8th

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 06:23:35 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 4 - Sept 4th

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 6 - Sept 6th

21 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 09:20:35 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 9 - Sept 9th

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 07:15:54 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan 1996

Views: 4291
By: winlaton mag
DSCF0313.JPG