Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Holiday - Day 5 - Sept 5th (Kazim Comes to Cook)  (Read 2827 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Holiday - Day 5 - Sept 5th (Kazim Comes to Cook)
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:06:25 AM »
Without doubt, the highlight of yesterday was having our own, Chef at Home to cook us dinner.
I had researched the internet, found Kazim’s web site through Trip Advisor and booked him, based on his fabulous reviews. I did this several months ago, via email - and boy, were we glad we glad I did! (Today, Sept 5th, he is fully booked out until October – and I now know why).

His menus are on his website and so we had some idea of what we might like. He came around 10.30am, and we all sat around the dining table and talked it through. He guided us on what was most popular, in season, checking our tastes. We selected two different types of casserole – one was chicken, the other lamb with vegetables. We chose 5 starters from the 16 or so on his list, for our personalised meze. Plus a dessert – in this case two, as Rick has a nut allergy, so Kazim also made some caramel crème.

Kazim came back around at 3pm, with his boxes and bags of food and utensils, donned his apron and cap and set about creating our meal. I checked with him if I was OK to chat to him now and again, to take photos and a short video – as well as learn from his experience. He was good with all of that.

The stuffing for his own recipe Borec included diced cooked chicken breast, caramelised onions and mushrooms. The chicken was marinated in milk, oregano, sweet paprika and I forget what else (the acid in the milk will tenderise the chicken; for beef or lamb, he would marinade in yogurt).
He showed me how to make the Turkish Rice when he noticed I had a bag of (Tesco’s Finest) Orzo in the cupboard. Kazim, upon request, also gave me his opinion of the large bowl of Tabbouleh that I had made before he arrived. I really love this dish, even though it is a fad to make with all the chopping, it is well worth it in the end. My recipe came off of the back of the Bulgar Wheat packet in Morrisons, and I have kept this little plastic strip of ingredients in my Kalkan 2013 Holiday folder! He said it was really good, I could have used spring onions instead of a white onion (he detected I had not followed that step in the recipe – good man!) and to add something else, I could add a couple of tablespoons of pomegranate juice at the end. Wow….

While Kazim laboured we splashed about in the pool and I took to the roof terrace in the late afternoon for a snooze, sat in my director’s chair, Tesco Crocs up on the rails. We had sampled a cocktail recipe that I had taken from Olive Magazine – a subscription that Mrs A had given me last Christmas. It was for “Blackberry Mojito”, and was going down very well with the girls. Kazim pointed out I should keep the mint in a plastic bag in the fridge, not stuck in a pot of water as I did. That would stop it oxidising.

Yali had come up trumps with a tub frozen blackberries and the other ingredient, apart from white rum and sugar syrup, was Chambord, which I had purchased a small bottle of in Tesco (£7) before I came away. It’s a great twist on the original version recipe, and the Chambord does make it very special.

Dinner was served at 8pm. I can still picture the colour in the range of starters spread down the middle of the large table on the terrace by the pool. And I can still feel the tenderness of both the lamb and the chicken. The new dessert was a recipe developed by Kazim and included some chopped pistachio nuts with a cream sauce, formed into small rounds and simply served with some (Algida) vanilla ice cream. A sweet end to an incredible meal.

Kazim left the kitchen spotlessly clean, with enough food left for lunch for several people and having been on his feet in the villa kitchen for around 7 hours.

I am truly amazed and so grateful for the experience and it was an evening – no, a day! – I will never, ever forget.

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11561.0
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:31:49 AM by antler »

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Antler's Holiday - Day 5 - Sept 5th (Kazim Comes to Cook)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
Sounds truly amazing antler, and Loving your reports & videos, great fun  8)

Back to your amazing meal....the question begs......How much ?
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
I agreed the price on email when booking, with choices from Kazim's range of menu items. That price was £20 per head, for three courses.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:59:26 AM »
Cafe Ev, Market Day

http://youtu.be/5qFIF6uxCjA
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:32:32 AM by antler »

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
And breakfast.....

http://youtu.be/-Gejj5wK8mY

A quality breakfast (unlike the Market where today's best was "we don't sell sh*te, we just sell quality cr*p!".

Indeed.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
I agreed the price on email when booking, with choices from Kazim's range of menu items. That price was £20 per head, for three courses.

Fantastic value. Thanks.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »
Great report Antler, thanks. Re the tabbouleh, my Turkish teacher showed me how to make the Turkish version, Kisir (pronounced Cussar) which is the same as you describe plus the pomegranate sauce. We got some from Yali (nar sosi) and it makes a good difference. Might just be easier to let Kazim do it however, as like you say all that chopping is a faff! Thanks again.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
Wonderful reports, Antler. Sounds like an amazing experience having Kazim cook for you all, I could see and taste the food from your fabulous post. Loving the Alan Wicker style reporting with videocam blogs....please don't get fed up sharing will you? I'm not sure I could cope....
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 6 - Sept 6th

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

21 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 09:20:35 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 9 - Sept 9th

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 07:15:54 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 4 - Sept 4th

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 7 - Sept 7th

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 04:27:50 PM
by Joeyloveskalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal