Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New To Kalkan  (Read 2761 times)

Offline WelshAl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
New To Kalkan
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:12:29 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to Kalkan and hope to be visiting in September this year. Couple of questions to help me along the way - myself and the other half are looking at Villa Destan which seems to be located down the road from the Pratara Prince Resort a little way from the centre.

First Q - anyone know of the property and any comment?

Second Q - is the location within reasonable walking distance to the centre of Kalkan ( I like to have a little tipple with my evening meal - so would prefer not to drive!)

Many thanks in anticipation!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11510.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: New To Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »
Hey WelshAl, welcome to the forum.
I think your villa is in Kisla - have to say that's a bit of a walk to the centre. There's a huge hill coming out of Kisla which wouldn't be pleasant to walk up in your best bib and tucker - even the evenings are still fairly warm in September.
Some of the walk is along unmade roads and can be a bit of a challenge in anything that isn't sturdy footwear but people do it and I'm not aware of any major problems.
If you have booked the villa, I would say try the walk in the day and see if its something you feel you could do in the evening. We love walking everywhere, but I'm not sure I'd walk in from Kisla of an evening. It will take the best part of 30 mins, depending on your fitness. If you haven't booked I suggest looking for somewhere slightly closer to the town, if you prefer to walk after a little tipple :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline WelshAl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:14:24 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply kalkan4eva - mmm!.

I like my walk, and on Ithaka earlier this year it was a good 30 mins up/down hill to the little port of Kioni - this sounds a little ominous, especially at night. Is Kisla a village in itself - and has it got any life - mini-market a couple of tavernas even?

The Villa looks good on the Web, and is heavily discounted, but perhaps I need to think again! :(

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »
Hi WelshAl, we stayed last year in a beautiful apartment  really high up the hill , we could walk down but always had to get a taxi back , it stopped us going out in the day.
This year we stayed in a lovely villa called villa Sari , 5 mins from the centre of town . We have booked already for next year .
Kalkan is lovely worth getting a taxi back at night .
Enjoy Lynne

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
Hi WelshAl, Kisla isn't a village itelf. There are a couple of hotels and 2 beach clubs (with restaurants) and a small shop called Bobs which only sells basics. It is mostly villas and apartments there. There's a larger shop outside Patara Prince resort which is the first thing you will come to when you come out of Kisla. The hill out of Kisla (plus there's one to come out of Komurluk a bit further along of equal gradient) is not like the hills up to Kiziltas (which I think Lynne T is referring to..) as you need to walk UP to get out of Kisla, not down. So you can't really compare those two places for the walking...if you see what I mean. It's actually easier coming back of a night not harder :) Other than those two hills its mostly a flat walk....albeit on slightly rough terrain but the question is do you want to do that when you are heading for a night out? I don't have a problem walking downhill for a night out as its not as arduous and we happily walk back up later on...just not sure I would want to do that in reverse :-\

I'm not sure who you are booking with but there are lots of villas and apartments available for rent nearer the town if you look on either www.ownersdirect.co.uk or www.holidaylettings.co.uk. Not sure what availability is like for September as its a popular month but both sites have a facility to search for specific dates.

Good luck
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:35:55 AM by kalkan4eva »

Offline WelshAl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »
Thanks kalkan4eva - that's very useful.

Not booked with anyone yet - just tracking!
I'll certainly have a look at the 2 sites you mention and see what's available - will keep everyone posted :)

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
There's also the accommodation section here on EK, with plenty of choices!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Oli & Beth @ Fenner

Views: 77
By: antler
Bettona, Italy