Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New HSBC ATM  (Read 9297 times)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: New HSBC ATM
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »
Hi Martyn, many thanks for that - very useful (if not good) to know. KM

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
Thanks for reporting back. Wish I had read it earlier as I have literally just got off the phone from a very helpful chap at HSBC. However, it would appear that maybe he wasn't correct in what he told me, as he stated that if I took out sterling using my HSBC debit card I would not be charged by HSBC. He did say that there is sometimes a charge levied by the ATM provider, but surely this would be reflected when you withdrew your money? i.e. if you requested £100 and only got £95 you would know you had been charged £5

He did say that for non sterling there is a 2% charge. Min of £1.75 max £5 which I understand but in addition there seems to be a 2.75% on the exchange rate? Have to say I was getting a bit confused at this point!  ???

So where do I go from here? Don't want to take loads of sterling for security reasons, so maybe like BubblesG, Garanti ATM to get out sterling, but then again I may be charged the same as HSBC  so no better off. Either way seems I will  then  use ATM at IS bank to change into lira?
Martyn, or anyone else, in your experience are there any ATMs that haven't charged you to take out sterling or lira with your first direct card, or if not which ones have worked out the cheapest?

My brain hurts :(  I'm off to town to get last minute things!

2 more sleeps!  :) :) :) :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
Honestly?

I use a Post Office MasterCard to pay for most transactions here in shops, restaurants etc. The exchange rate is excellent  and there is no charge as long as you settle each statement in full. But that's not going to help you much on this trip as it would take you too long to apply for one.

Frankly, your best bet is to bring sterling and change it here. Simples, as long as you are comfortable carrying cash with you from a security point of view.

Trust me, I'm a financial advisor  ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
suzyq1, if you are not comfortable bringing sterling with you, then your only option is ATM withdrawal or credit card...sadly. There is a risk with cash but we prefer it, to be honest. We only take out sterling/lira from an ATM at the end of the holiday when I want to bump up the bag fund :)
Perhaps you have a different type of account to First Direct which will allow you to withdraw sterling without charge, if that's what your bank are telling you - go for it, after all they record converstations you have with customer service staff there days so you would have a case to claim all of the fees back.
I did query it with First Direct and as I say they told me it was a foreign transaction - even though I withdrew sterling it happened in a foreign country - they get you all ways.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
Too late for those flying in the next couple of weeks but, the Nationwide Flex Account not only allows you to take out your own money (in Sterling) without charge. It also gives you free European travel insurance ( yes, Turkey is included). You only need to pay in £750 a month to get these 'perks'. You do not need to maintain an average balance so the £750 can go in one day and be transferred elsewhere the next or, you could use it to pay the household bills from the account.
By the way, I have no connection with Nationwide other than as a satisfied customer who got fed up with Lloyds, Barclays et al, charging as much as they could for poor service.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all your help and advice.

In the whole scheme of things I'm really not going to worry about a few pounds here and there, but I do like a bargain so try to   get the best deal I can.  :)

Bye for now. I don't have a smart phone, but may have access to an iPad in which case I will try to say hi from Kalkan. Failing that I promise to do a full report on my return. As you have probably already gathered, I do tend to waffle on so I apologise in advance!

Look forward to meeting any members that are there on the 13th.  :) :)   

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »
.Have a good holiday Suzy, look forward to hearing what you think of Kalkan.

Barb

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 11:22:19 PM »
See you on the 13th Suzy.  :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »
Have a brilliant time Suzy......look forward to hearing all about it!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
HSBC card

Started by Si on Money & Finance

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 12:11:49 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal