Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: living costs  (Read 2961 times)

Offline hils

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
living costs
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:39:47 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the price of living is out there? Supermarket prices?
5 ltr bottle of water? Bread? Cheese? Wine? Beer? etc. etc.
We have just booked to go for the first time at the end of May.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1142.0

Offline Duran

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: living costs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:42:11 PM »
Hils, based on my last shopping trip to one of the Kalkan supermarkets I hope this rough guide is helpful...

5ltr bottle of water – 1.5ytl
Bread – 35ytl for Turkish style bread or 70ytl for pide style bread.  Up to a 1.5 ytl for other styles such as sliced brown, sliced white and 3.5ytl for wraps.
Cheese – lots of different varieties so difficult to say but white feta type cheese 2 to 3ytl.  Cheddar slices are about 5ytl.  Parmesan is very expensive but lots of Turkish varieties to try!
Wine about 9ytl for White Angora Dry or 16ytl for a sweet called Sultanyie – sorry I don’t drink red but prices will be about the same.
Beer – Efes is about 2ytl a bottle but you can get these in packs of four etc all the way through to a crate!!

Prices aside, I’m sure you will fall in love with Kalkan and become as addicted as the rest of us!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »
try buying your fruit and veg from the thursday market,likewise cheeses big selection of fresh produce and very reasonably priced..(if you like cheddar why not take a lump with you ..you can get it but it is "plasticky" and expensive.) ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »
Hi hils and welcome to the forum.  You will just love Kalkan.  The villas you are staying in look very nice and I''m sure have a great view as they sit slightly on the hillside.  As far as I am aware you will have full use of the facilities of the Samira apartment block.  They also have a free shuttle bus in and out of town which is for residents only, but as you are staying in one of their villas I''m sure you will be able to use this also.  Duran has given you the prices of most of the basics but just want to note that the 35 ytl and 70ytl he talks about for bread is actually 35 & 70 kuros (which is less than 1 lira, 100 kuros = 1 YTL).  The cost of shampoos, soap etc is roughly the same as in the UK so it really isn''t worth carrying it all with you as you get a great selection in the supermarkets, though I think someone did say that the suntan lotion was more expensive in Turkey, not sure, maybe someone else can help on this.  If you like branded spirits then do take these with you from the duty free (you can buy from the duty free in Dalaman when you land in Turkey) as imported drinks are more expensive.  I''m sure you''ll get a liking for the Efes beer however! Serefe, Charlie

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Hils..!!

In addition to what has been said below - the bread is not the cost that Duran is saying (quote - 35ytl for Turkish style bread or 70ytl for pide style bread)  - I think he means to say Krush (not sure of spelling) but 100 krush make up 1 ytl and the delicious bread is about 20-30 krush depending on the size that you buy...that is by far the cheapest bread - the packeted sliced stuff is more expensive and not very nice - so as you can see - the bread - which is the staple diet of the turkish people is incredibly cheap..!!  I find that the prices are generally cheaper than in the UK - especially for the turkish grown commodities - bread, fruit and veg and their beyaz peynir - a bit like Feta - especially if you buy it off the block.  I find that meat is probably a bit more expensive than the UK (but far tenderer and nicer) and wine is definitely more expensive - especially considering the rather mediocre quality - red Angora is about 9ytl...Efes beer is good value though!!  

As Blue Lizard says - get all your fruit and veg and cheese (as he says - the cheddar is VERY plasticky and expensive as is all the imported cheeses) at the Thursday market - otherwise fruit and veg can be purchased at the daily market down some steps opposite the Deniz bank!

Enjoy kalkan - you will love it!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline hils

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 09:32:08 PM »
thank you all so much for your replies - we just can''t wait to go.  We''re all counting down the days!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
living costs?

Started by albinoni on Living In Kalkan

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 07:55:27 PM
by onelove
xx
Living in Kalkan

Started by pnut on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:57:29 AM
by felicity
xx
Eye Tests for someone living in Kalkan

Started by maddie.ann on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 02:24:46 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Living la dolce vita

Started by bizzylizzy on Holiday Reports and Reviews

28 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 12:39:45 PM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Floods

Views: 4509
By: winlaton mag
Meis