Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan - Suitable for a Honeymoon?  (Read 11649 times)

Offline mkdr29

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan - Suitable for a Honeymoon?
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »
Hi All

First time poster here, have only recently discovered this site and Kalkan as a destination. We're currently looking at booking our Honeymoon for next near, getting married in April, but planning on a week somewhere hot in June. We want stable temps and a relaxing time around the pool/beach/restaurant.

I've got a couple of questions if thats ok?

1) From other sites and discussions its obvious there is a large ex-pat community in the kalkan area, i know its a very subjective topic, but is it fair to say the brits in Kalkan not your typical brits abroad crowd? I'm aware kalkan isn't a party resort as such, but we're keen to go somewhere that isn't all english breakfasts and sky sports... For example, Antibes in France has a large British population but also has a very nice feel to it. I hope kalkan is the same.

2) If we decide on Kalkan, we will be booking a Villa. Looks like you can get some great properties for reasonable rates (£1k-2K p/week) in the Kisla area, and the views look stunning. Although I'm quite concerned about the various reports of break-ins in the area, the last thing I want on my honeymoon is to be worried about intruders! We take the normal precautions anywhere we go. Can anyone put my mind at ease?

3) We would probably eat out most evenings and self-cater for breakfast/lunch. Can members give opinions of how much spending money we would need for a 7 day stay? I know it can vary, though we have fairly simple tastes.

Thanks and looking forward to your replies.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11419.0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:34:59 AM by mkdr29 »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan - Suitable for a Honeymoon?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »
Kalkan is still a very nice place to be...it is fair to say although British people are the main tourists it is relatively unspoilt..you can find English breakfast but it isn't jumping out at you everywhere you look...June next year? Sky will be about quite simply because the  Football World cup starts on June 12th and turks are football mad and many tourists too (me included)...There are enough restaurants to avoid the football if you wish.. But the world cup will be on wherever in the world you go in june/july
Break ins happen everwhere and I regard Kalkan to be safer than where I live in the UK (although those that have suffered this type of intrusion will understandably not feel the same) you can only do so much to keep this rubbish out but keeping your guard up and locking stuff away is no different to home ...it seems quite a few arrests have been made and reports seem down this year...I certainly wouldn't let that deter my visiting
it is not really possible to give an amount to spend without knowing you...for instance do you like  full blow out meals..we don't it's too hot to  ..we tend to snack and graze..i'm assuming that you will want something romantic on a few occasions as it's honeymoon? roof  top restaurants and harbourside are in general more expensive  top end of the village is cheaper..also how much do you drink....I guzzle like a fish in the heat !! (and cold come to think of it!) wine is quite a high mark up in top end restaurants..but we self cater so supermarket it is for us....we have a couple of regular haunts we use that sell perfectly good wine reasonably alongside non pretentious good food...I am in the process of trying to book some accomodation for next year....I don't think of going anywhere else these days ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline mkdr29

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the reply! Lots of good info.

Good tip on the football. Were not fans, though I watch England, not sure the wife will be happy about me doing this in honeymoon! May look at dates 1st week in June. 

As for spending, we're not too lavish, we'll have a couple of bottles of fizz for the villa and a couple of big meals out but mostly we like tapas style, meats, salad, bread and oils etc... Its drink that usually blows the budget. I'm encouraged to see others saying its somewhere between 3-8 lira for a beer? So anywhere from £1-2.50? that sounds good to me.

Good to hear that you think breakins are down, we love the privacy that a villa affords but I just know anything like this would ruin our enjoyment of the holiday.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
 Ask away..i'm sure you will have more questions  someone on here will know.....you can also try looking on KTLN(Kalkan Turkish Local News)  it gives more in depth news items and reports about Kalkan you might find of interest ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
welcome to the forum mkdr29 and congratulations on your impending nuptials :)
BL has given you some very good advice there.
I will just add that Kisla is quite a way out from the village so you will need to budget taxis into your spends if you choose to stay there. You get fabulous views and are within walking distance (10-15 mins) to the centre if you stay in Komurluk - my favourite place in Kalkan - but that's just my opinion. There are no supermarkets in Kisla, which you will need if self-catering but there is a small store where you can buy bread, water etc (Bobs) There is a larger store just outside Patara Prince but its a decent uphill walk for you from Kisla.
Buy your fizz Duty Free. Turkish fizz isn't good - I've tried all sorts, and its not cheap :P Imported champagne is not readily available and judging by the cost of their local produce, I would imagine the cost to be prohibitive.
I hope you have a great honeymoon ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline mkdr29

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »
thanks kalkan3eva good tips there.

We're not too bothered about getting a taxi back at night as we'll probably only have a couple of evenings out. Will look into Komurluk.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
mkdr29,

we have a property in komurluk.It is known as the best place in Kalkan.The views are amazingly spectacular,you get by far the longest sunsets,and it is very walkable into the middle of kalkan.It is just far enough out of town to be lovely and quiet,but is definetly close enough to walk,so i agree with kalkan4eva....you could not choose a better area in kalkan

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »
Is Kalkan suitable for a honeymoon?

Neither my new wife Fiona, nor I, had ever been to Turkey when we came to Kalkan on honeymoon nine years ago. We have since been back here 25 times on holidays, have bought five apartments here and (since April) we now live here full time in one of the apartments.

We rarely eat a full English breakfast (although I like them occasionally) and although I like football, Fiona hates it.

Does that answer your question? ;)

Offline mkdr29

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:09:08 PM »
That'll do nicely thanks martyn!  ;D

Offline shee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
Hi Martyn

Do you have a website for your apartments I presume you do rent them out?..

Now addicted to Kalkan and want to come back with my hubby for a few days

Thanks Shee

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
Kalkan is the ideal place for a honeymoon, excellent restaurants, absolutely breathtaking views where you can sit on the balcony sipping a nice cold drink watching the sunset what could be more romantic, myself and my OH have been married for twenty four years and even we manage to still feel a bit of the old romance there and that's saying something lol. Mustn't forget the people Brits yes there are many there but we've always found everyone great and the Turkish people are the most welcoming, friendly people you could wish to meet and they never forget you. Only wish we'd had a chance to honeymoon somewhere like Kalkan, always fancied renewing our vows there, you never know yet. I'm sure you'll have good memories if you go there. Wishing you every happiness together.

Offline mkdr29

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
thanks very much for your kind words clara.

We're really close to booking now!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 09:21:40 PM »
There's a really short answer to your question mkdr29..........yes!
Personally I think it would make an excellent honeymoon spot......I agree with
Clara......even old dears feel quite romantic there.....something in the water?!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »
...think that something in the water might be your bikini bottoms, Babs :-*

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline mkdr29

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
Hi all

OP here again. Thanks so much for all your replies. We are very very close to booking now. We really wanted something that combined my condition of a non-long haul honeymoon, my OH's desire for Sun and Sand and our shared want of something that feels 'nice' ie not an established resort. 

I'm a little concerned reading recent threads that some people think Kalkan is staring to attract a more mainstream family holiday crowd. To anyone who has been there this summer, do you agree? One of our fav holiday spots is Antibes on the Cote D' Azur, which is a small town with a really nice feel, I really hope Kalkan comes close to this.

I think we're going to book with exclusive escapes, which I know isn't the cheapest, but we want that 'taken care of' feeling that we don't get having booked many DIY holidays in the past.

I also notice there hasn't been as many mentions of villa break ins this season, I hope this means this has been less of an issue? Its always a concern when staying in a private accommodation rather than a hotel.

We will be travelling in early June as to avoid the start of the World Cup. Is early June a good time to visit?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
We always go in June..we find the weather very hot but not unbearably so like in  July end/Aug....temps the last couple of years have been in high 70's /80's for June (generally go 2nd week)...I regard Kalkan to be a safer environment than the one I live in in the UK...but things happen everywhere it's the world we live in ...personally we prefer our own space and privacy so villas and apartments it is for us ,it gives freedom to eat in private if you wish and you can run around in your pants if it makes you happy...go on book it!! ;)

Offline Chrish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »
I have had a villa in Kalkan for 6 years & have several honeymoon couples stay & they loved both the villa & Kalkan. It is a very romantic place, with great restaurants & a lovely sunset.
I have also travelled to Kalkan with Exclusive Escapes & they were fantastic in every way.
Not looked in their brochure since I bought here, but Villa Gumbatami was amazing & would be amazing for you to stay on your honeymoon. Burglaries are a blight of most place unfortunately, but you will be safer here than back home.
Good luck & enjoy Kalkan.

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 04:03:26 PM »
Early June is a lovely time in Kalkan. The weather is guaranteed to be nice both during the day and at night.The restaurants and shops etc. are busy enough to give a good atmosphere without being so busy you get no attention. All the staff are still fresh and enthusiastic whereas by the end of the season they are understandably a bit weary!

Exclusive Escapes, as you say are not cheap but for a special occasion like a Honeymoon it is certainly worth pushing the boat out.They are an excellent company and should any problems arise they would attend to them immediately. We stayed at The Regency for many years in the past. It is a lovely family run hotel where you would immediately feel like part of the family. They have new rooms which although part of the hotel are very private allowing you your own space and privacy if you want it. Villa Mahal I would imagine would also be lovely for a Honeymoon but it is a bit further out of town and I personally have never stayed there.

We have been coming to Kalkan for the last 13 years at different times of the year. Yes it has changed and yes it has got bigger but we still love to come and don't think it has been spoiled at all.

Wishing you all the best for your wedding day and honeymoon.

Suziq

Offline mkdr29

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
thankyou all for your responses.

I think we're going to book tonight.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
UK TV is it suitable for kalkan/turkey

Started by theinspector on The Everything Else Area!

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 05:14:21 PM
by rat2
cheesy
Honeymoon in Kalkan!

Started by Amndwr on Holiday Reports and Reviews

16 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 04:17:51 PM
by bilton
xx
Kalkan on honeymoon? Advice/help needed.

Started by Agent Ottoman on Accommodation and Hotels

16 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 09:12:50 PM
by Charlie
xx
Is Kalkan suitable for wheelchair users or people with mobility problems?

Started by Christina on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post January 23, 2014, 02:01:58 PM
by Kalkan regular

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal