Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Cooking Facilities  (Read 9135 times)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Cooking Facilities
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »
I''m afraid - I am greedy and like both.... >:D >:D  I have a dishwasher at home and the thought of being on holiday and having to wash up the merest mug or plate fills me with utter dread :o :o  Even if you always eat out - I would have thought that most people will breakfast at home and therefore a dishwasher is pretty high up on my priorities..LOL...I know Im VERY LAZY - but it is a holiday after all..!!   ;) ;)

Oh and by the way - our oven doesn''t get a huge amount of use - but I find it useful for keeping warm that bbq food - because my bbq-ing skills are never that good when it comes to timing how long things will take to cook on the bbq...and also for doing those all important roasted veg to accompany the bbq - the turkish vegetables are sooo lovely and tasty and fresh - I just chuck the whole lot in a roasting tin with garlic and olive oil and hey presto - deliciouse roated meditteranean vegetables....always a hit when we bbq!!  Mmmm!!!  ;D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
Felicity, I think we''ll all be coming round to yours for dinner then! :laugh:
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 06:17:19 PM »
ooo err.....when you are doing a BBQ..always have a back up plan!!make sure you have got plenty of salad /fruit and some pizzas you can put in the oven if things go horribly wrong!!...ply your guests with copious amounts of vino collapso and hopefully all will be forgot....  ::) ^-^
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »
When deciding on our rental property in terms of facilities, my top priority is a washing machine, so nice to be able to quickly freshen up favourite items, wash those awful beach towels and saves on luggage space - well, a little!! We are not too bothered about a full oven but it is nice to have. We too generally eat out most nights but there are times when you just don''t feel like going out, so the option to BBQ or cook is always welcome.

For us also, distance from town has now become more of a priority, given taxi costs.....so this year we have booked a townhouse in the old town, a couple of mins, literally, from restaurants and bars.

Roll on June.........as always, can''t wait.

Jo

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 09:57:46 AM »
I have to say that although we have a full oven it doesn''t get used much either by us or people who rent from us. I also have a slow cooker which is good in the colder months for doing lamb casserole etc.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
Now that''s a good idea Loretta - a slow cooker...did you buy that in turkey (do they have such things?) or did you bring from the UK....I must think about purchasing one of those....

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »
Hi Felicity,
I did have a look for one locally and in kas but couldn''t find one so I am afraid I took one out with me. Knowing what I know now thanks to the information supplied by other members on the forum, I should have declared it at customs and taken it home, but I really wasn''t aware of that at the time. It was a few years back so you might be able to get one locally now.
If you get a good cut of lamb and add some stock and lots of veggies, maybe a glug of wine and some garlic it makes for a lovely casserole and all you have to do is bung it all in the one pot. The other good thing is that slow cookers are very energy efficient too.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »
Mmmm - I feel another recipe thread and beer thread coming on  ;D ;D...that lamb casserole sounds scrummy..!!

Cheers"

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
Lorretta, you can rest easy with a clear conscience - you don''t have to declare a slow cooker; it''s electric not electronic; it''s only electronic items (such as dvd players, computers, televisions, amplifiers) which should be declared.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
Thanks Vicksen, I think I was being a bit paranoid! I have re-read your advice on electronic items and it all makes perfect sense.

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »
Though I would hope anyone trying to declare such items has more luck than I did last year when I brought back a new phone. I was told I couldn''t ''register'' it with customs as customs had gone home!!

Offline Clive

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 10:43:25 PM »
Bosch and  Siemens just like the company which has what you describe as ''''the rude sounding name'''' which is pronounced archalik have their own manufacturing plants  in Turkey. Bosch is manufactured here, as is arcelik so can''''t imagine why anyone would turn up their nose at a Turkish manufacturer with a worldwide reputation but would buy a product also made here just because it has a foreign name. Why on earth would they want to come to Turkey if they cannot bring themselves to cook on a Turkish cooker?

Since actual imported goods carry a very high import tax, local manufacture is always a better bet and arcelik offer a 5 year guarantee on all appliances.
 please don''''t tell people not to buy local manufacturers products just because you had dealings with an incredibly stupid and bigoted potential customer.
 Lantana

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
I think Felicity is right - we rent and do look for a "home away from home". It''s about options and we want to have the choice of using a hob/full oven/microwave if we feel like staying in for a night. We probably do that once or twice over a fortnight, and whilst we''re not about to cook a four course Michelin starred menu, it''s great to be able to use the lovely fresh produce in Kalkan and create a really nice meal. I see cooking as a pleasure rather than a chore, so we would only chose to rent somewhere that had decent kitchen facilities.
Like most posters, a washing machine is a must! I have a dishwasher at home, but make a point of not using one on holiday, particularly if we know there are energy shortages, as I''d rather use the electricity keeping cool. It''s only a small contribution, but one we can make without too much hardship. So I don''t neccessarily look for dishwasher as part of the set-up.
I always like to know if there''s an iron, hairdryer etc...the kind of things that weigh the case down... :) I do like a nice view, so those of you with apartments and villas overlooking the bay probably have no trouble renting....you are sooohhh lucky  8)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »
It''s amazing how many people want an Iron! I never had one in the apartment as I don''t mind looking a bit crumpled! but after feedback from guests we now have an iron and as space is limited a "mini" ironing board from Ikea.

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »
Must admit to not using an iron myself, but the apartment we stay in has got one just in case.
Hairdryer is very useful, c.d player and radio is nice, alarm clock for those daytrip early mornings!!  ;)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 09:54:06 AM »
We have a C.D player. We also supply alarm clocks which I thought may go "walkabout" so far so good. Can''t keep track of the number of plug adaptors that have gone missing though!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:54 AM »
oooh yes, talking of adaptors, those plug-in mosquito repellent thing are really handy. We bring some from home, but then find the bottles you buy in the supermarkets don''t fit them (valuable diamante flip flop space wasted!!!!  :laugh:) It would be handy to know if the accomodation had them in advance.
I find most of my things don''t need ironing after I''ve hung them up, but if I wash a few bits and pieces whilst I''m there they will generally have to be ironed (more''s the pity)  :( So an iron is a must for us, as I can''t do crumpled...I''ve tried...just can''t. :)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »
Home from home - it has to be for me and therefore all of the above which are standard for me at home - I have to have in my villa - the iron is also used by our cleaning lady to iron the sheets for our guests (and I NEVER iron sheets at home - so that is a lovely treat)....I would have thought that all the items in the previous posting that have been mentioned are what holidaymakers to Kalkan would expect...wouldn''t they...??? ??? ???

And yes - the odd adapter has gone missing - but we ensure plenty to cope with all the UK plugs around and plug in mossie repellents in each room - they don''t go walkabout - no need for them in the UK...lol!!  : ;)

Cheers!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cooking in or Eating Out?

Started by Bob & Jayne on Cooking

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 10:24:04 PM
by onelove
xx
Turkish Cooking Lesson

Started by kalkan4eva on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 09:12:37 PM
by Brooksie
xx
Turkish cooking lessons

Started by onelove on Cooking

0 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 08:25:04 AM
by onelove
xx
Printing Facilities

Started by kizzy on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2016, 12:37:05 PM
by DRBD

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal