Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Early and late Booking in Kalkan,  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Early and late Booking in Kalkan,
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
As you can tell I am a real Kalkanite and have made Kalkan my home, so I can’t pretend to be anything but biased but if you are a retired single person or couple I really believe as long as you can pick up cheap flights during the months of late April through to late October and you can come for 3 weeks plus, you will get warm dry weather for large parts of that period and will save a large part of the cost of the flight by just not having heating on in the house in the UK.
Please don’t sit in the wet and cold in England, I am not saying every day in Kalkan will be dry but many will and the effect of winter sunshine on the body and our mental wellbeing is very well documented.
There are literally hundreds of villas and apartments available for extended rental early and later in the year on the web site Owners Direct, it’s just a case of contacting owners and negotiating an extended rental, many will be pleased to just know that their properties are being looked after especially if you do not mind watering the garden or doing the laundry and cleaning, building a relationship with the owner over a few years can also bring dividends once you have shown you are a reliable renter .
Winter in Kalkan is both relaxing and can be fun if you are into walking groups go out 2 or 3 times a week and they are very keen for you to join them, other activities include pottery lessons, art lessons , Turkish language for all levels, a film night, keep fit sessions and even long distance sea swimming. And if you like to be just left alone that option is entirely you choice as well.
But please, please do not sit freezing, huddled around a fire in the UK.  The expats who live in kalkan during the winter are a real diverse lot with one thing in common they like me love Kalkan and are really keen to share their experiences with you and make you feel part of the winter and spring  community  of Kalkan. So Please start looking today and I Guarantee in a very short time you will be part of  the Kalkan community.
PS I do not rent any properties and my only interest is sharing my love of the winter in Kalkan.
Regards  Buster.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11332.0
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Early and late Booking in Kalkan,
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
Great post, Buster.
We find ourselves wishing our lives away till the day we retire - can't wait :) We have been fortunate to have worked all our lives and have again been in the lucky position of starting good pensions early so thankfully we are not reliant on the State Pension as lots of others are-sometimes through no fault of their own  :( We've done our calculations and we might be able to retire early, if we both stay in work of course, but we are no counting any chickens as things are very ropey with BH's company.
As the State Retirement age keeps rising, I think I might have to be 68 before I get that free bus pass and the winter fuel allowance but fingers crossed we can make that leap into retirement before then and join you and your fellow ex-pats as long stay visitors to Kalkan out of season.
You are so lucky to have that right now.....but I kinda think you know that ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:24:43 PM »
Yes, fab post Buster. We hope to join you all someday too, but for the present, we're looking forward to actually managing to visit kalkan out of school holiday time! We could have 4 villa holidays for the price we pay to visit twice a year during school holidays and its so hot in July/August! Never mind, our time will come!  :)

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:49:29 AM »
Hi this  post was primarily aimed at those of pensionable age but I actually retired 6 years early and personally have never regretted it. I will actually be 65 this September.
The Kalkan lifestyle has suited me, but by spending a few months sampling what I love you may find it’s not for you but likewise you may also find like me you love it.

I have walked parts of the lycian way and been lucky enough to have enjoyed the experience of sailing for three months from Holland to Kalkan with another expat, All things I can now look back on with great pleasure and would have missed if I had not retired early as I am currently in hospital in Antalya and have lost the use of my legs.

I don't write this looking for sympathy just as a timely reminder to others that this life is not a dress rehearsal  and to grab life with both hands. In my present circumstance I am so pleased I did.

This site is helping to keep me sane if some of my posts seem a little of beam and misspelled I will blame it on the A class drugs I'm taking ;D

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 08:27:30 AM »
As you say we only have one life and we can't keep delaying when we start it. I also retired about the same age as you and haven't for a minute regretted it. We love Kalkan in April. It's like watching a flower open up with a bit more coming to life every day and people are fresh after the winter and have time to chat.

So sorry to hear about your legs and hope they can get you sorted.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »
It sounds as though you have had an idyllic early retirement in Kalkan Buster, and good for you to have made the decision to retire there. As I have mentioned before, I would love to read your blog of the journey you made, I hope Jon still has it somewhere.
I sincerely hope that you are comfortable, pain free and that you will be back in Kalkan before you know it.
Please continue to write your lovely posts as its therapeutic for us too and a pleasure to read them.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
Sitting in work, having just returned from Kalkan, I read your wise words, food for thought.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Buster.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »
Thanks for your inspirational posts Buster - you do have to maximise every minute as you say. We attended a devastating, very sudden, unexpected funeral of a 40 year old friend yesterday, a stark reminder that there indeed there are no second chances at living life. We love Kalkan in the winter, just sitting in Fener in the warm December sun and even if it's raining, it's a delight. We also love Spring and Summer and definitely hope to be able to stay for more lengthy periods in the not too distant future. Thanks again and very best wishes for your hospital treatment.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
I agree with you all, you never know what's around the corner, maybe if we could we might make the most of every day and put all those silly little problems into perspective. Kalkan magic we've had a sad time too, a few weeks ago within a month we lost three great pals to cancer. Our oldest friend just in his late fifties, laid the law down  to us when he was near the end, that we would live for today, so no regrets and definitely go to Kalkan this year again, which we are, where we'll be raising a glass or three to him I'm sure. So pleased buster you bit the bullet and retired early and love it, my OH is middle fifties and would love to retire early but with the changes to his pension recently can't see that being possible. Never mind trying not to be greedy and just be gratefull to be able to holiday in Kalkan every year. Please keep posting buster, great to read and hope you have a speedy recovery, all the best Clara.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 04:42:01 PM »
Fabulous post, Buster. We have just made the decision to come and live in Kalkan and although we are not retired (far from it :( ) we finally moved here in April.

Reaction from our friends and family ranged from "aren't you lucky" to be "living the dream" to "you must be mad burning all your bridges and leaving the UK"....

All are wrong.

We are not living a dream... we are still working hard, but have just decided to give ourselves a better lifestyle than we had in the UK. Technology has made this possible, as i can still do my work remotely.

So now we have fresh food every day... tomatoes that taste like tomatoes (like we had as kids, funnily enough) rather than the over-produced pap we got from supermarkets in the uk. We have blue sky guaranteed almost everyday, at least for the summer months... no longer the desperate lottery of deciding to hold a barbie over the weekend, only to have all plans ruined by an English summer weekend shower.

Ok it's hot now and working is not all that comfortable... but we are acclimatising quickly and its a damn sight better than being cold... plus we are now really looking forward to the cooler months!

The bottom line is this: we have seen too many close friends promise themselves a better lifestyle 'one day' - and then not actually live long enough to realise their ambitions. We decided we were not going to take that chance.... "if it's worth doing, do it now" has to be the motto.

Luck doesn't come into it... we have worked hard for it and will have to continue to do so. Will  we actually retire here? Who knows?

Until we do, I can't think of a better place to wake up everyday.

So far, so good :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:44:14 PM by MartynE »

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
MartynE , you sum it up perfectly

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
Personally I think you've made the right choice,  you've spent time there and probably experienced the good and the bad there. You haven't gone into it lightly and on a wim and it you can continue to work from there well then you don't seem to have burnt your bridges. God frorbid it didn't work out as you wished, (but by the sound of it you're loving it) you would have given it a good go and you won't enter your dotage wondering what if? Good on you , have a blast, only wish we could lol!!

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »
Great post MartynE

Thank you, for putting it so eloquently, typing is not easy for me at the moments and you said exactly what I was trying to get across.

Regards   Buster 

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »
Glad things have worked out for you Martyn and Buster wishing you a speedy recovery.
We regret not buying in Kalkan when we first visited several years ago when we were in a position to do so......now we both worry for our jobs, we usually have alternate years! My turn at the moment.  :(
Stiil we will carry on having holidays while we are able as the youngsters say these days YOLO!  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Weather late Sept early Oct?

Started by LancashireLass on Weather

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 01:02:26 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Weather Late Sept/Early October

Started by MrsC1701 on Weather

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 10:18:27 AM
by MrsC1701
recycled
Holiday in late September/early October

Started by elise on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 11:04:36 AM
by Chris18648
xx
2 Bed Apartment with Shared pool wanted early hours on 19th June to late on 26th

Started by storm1959 on Accommodation and Hotels

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 12:27:38 PM
by joycie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

EK 70s Night

Views: 3688
By: Enjoy Kalkan
Villa Safran