Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Seeing is Believing  (Read 5670 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Seeing is Believing
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
No, kalkan4eva, don’t change jobs just yet.

Thank you, ALL, for your words…..much appreciated.

Even though officially we will be the hottest in the country today, here in the NE, I am still looking forward to 7 weeks today, when Mrs A will have checked us in on line. 7 Antlers Jet2-ing off to Dalaman.

I still can’t quite believe it is going to happen, with the elderly family having strokes and mini strokes, trips and falls, fractures and tests – it just feels like something might go “bang”.  And Mrs A being sick with worry at her forthcoming key hole surgery for a frozen shoulder, in Harrogate, on Monday. But we keep going, with everything crossed.

So, with my God willing, I am really looking forward to a few things; no, I’m looking forward to loads of things. And most of them won’t be sucked through a straw, licked off a plate or indeed, cost me very much at all. I hope  - and expect -  the things that I will value most from my Seeing is Believing 2013 trip to Kalkan, will be whatever is delivered with that Turkish smile. Isn’t it, after all, the marketing slogan of Turkish Airlines?

And I don’t care if it is a Sales Pitch from the locals (and I honestly don’t think that it is), I prefer to believe that those smiles are genuine, and generously offered in such a way, it is hard not to respond in exactly the same manner.  Boy, the world is so much a better place when we smile. And it’s free.

I’m looking forward to going in land again, to the Monday Market at Gombe and, hopefully, watch 5 or 6 kids excitedly try to sell me a pair of shoes at twice the price of TK Maxx. And I will probably buy them, not because I want them, but because I can; and it will feel good. I hope we can stop at the water trough and see the goats as they come down from the mountain, clambering over each other for a drink; maybe that lovely old guy will be there with his stick, thinking about his kids dotted around Turkey, sat under the shade of an olive tree in his traditional costume, wanting for nothing other than just more of the same.

Maybe Adem will stop and let me buy peaches from the tree, smelling them as I put them into a bag and I will be torn between accepting the change from one TL for a kilo, or saying “no, that’s OK, you are welcome!”.  With a smile.

And after a late lunch, I will sit on the edge of the terrace at Adam’s Place and look out towards Meis and watch the fish fly out of the water across the bay. Down below will be a small patch of ground, roughly dug over, growing a few peppers – organically, of course. And I will well up – again – beneath my shades.

Back at Villa Kismet - in my tight-fitting shorts - up on the roof terrace, I will have my Sundowner  - and probably by now, be playing my air saxophone to my 2013 Holiday Tune. You’ll have to guess the tune, but the words go something like “I can’t sing, I can’t dance, I walk like a rabbit”. I may be wrong.

And for daughter Jo & Rick, it will be their first time to Turkey. Curry lovers in Turkey. Let’s not think about that one!

And as we look out towards those Islands and watch the boast come back in, Mrs A and I will be content to know that we are here and the family are with us, too. And if they are happy, then so are we.

We will just look at each other and smile as we Enjoy Kalkan and the priceless things it has to offer that are, of course, completely free.

Happy Holidays, Happy Hot Friday!

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11310.0

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Seeing is Believing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
Great having you back Steve.  8)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »
You've just made my day!!! So glad you are back too and on form. What a beautiful post.  8) :)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
Hi Steve,

Glad to hear from you again.Fantastic post setting the scene perfectly for what sounds like an idyllic holiday in the making.Very sorry to hear of the health problems in your family.Have a fantastic holiday.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:52 AM »
*and breathe*

And you're back with a corker of a post...brought tears to my eyes :)
Best wishes to Mrs A for Monday and don't forget to post a picture of you on the roof terrace in those "tight - fitting shorts" :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
Dear Antler, wishing you and your family the very best in your difficult times, we are all thinking of you, but WELCOME BACK :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
Yay!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:30:26 AM »
Hey Steve! glad you decided to come back..such a nice change to read a proper post rather than the rubbish that's been posted by dweebs of late! don't worry kalkan is just as you left it ,the exception being that the flag is missing(or was) off the top of the mountain and Kenan the nut man seems to have hung his nut basket up  ( although he did try to run me over on his old Russian motorbike waving madly before giving a thumbs up and shooting off up the hill like a japanese kamikaze pilot!... I think I must have been to the wrong place i didn't see a goldfish bowl otherwise I might have had one!the people are as warm and generous as ever and it was more like it's old self if that makes sense?
anyways good to have you back (you may find some larger budgie smugglers on the market rather than big shoes) ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:48:28 AM »
Great to have you back Antler and I'm so looking forward to your daily blog when you are back in Kalkan.  Hope all goes well with Mrs A's op and that she recovers well in time for your hols.  Having all the family together in Kalkan sounds just perfect :)

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
Welcome back Antler - so pleased you have returned to let us share in your wonderful observations of Kalkan that we all love so much!  We wish your family well and a trip to Kalkan will be more than what the doctor ordered for a speedy recovery.  We have just returned after spending two weeks with our son, his partner and children - it was their first visit and they loved it and are already planning their next visit.  Kalkan has cast it's magical spell once again - and your eloquent writings let us share that, even if we can't be there all year. Welcome Home! :D

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 12:54:08 PM »
Good to see you back  ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
All's well with the world.....Antler's back and the sun is shining.....well almost in not so sunny Kent! But hey....it's going to be a lovely weekend!  :angel:

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
Tekrar hos geldiniz Antler,  so eloquent, had me welling up again. Sounds as if you've had a stressful winter too, we lost  three good pals to cancer within a month which was heartbreaking, but like you I expect like you it made us more determined to get to Kalkan and live each day there to the full. Pass our good wishes to Mrs Antler for her forthcoming op, I'm sure it'll go well and she'll have a wonderful holiday to look forward too  8)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »
I'm currently seeing and believing and.it's just wonderful. Sittng at the pool after enjoying an amazing bbq. Kalkan is still here, still special and simply still delightful. Only 4 days left of our holiday but determined not to think about that yet.
Highlight so far........so many as usual but will be difficult to top swimming at Kekova with many huge Carretta. Being privileged to share the cool clear sea with them is somethingI will treasure forever.
No negatives, nothing but the constant joy of visiting this beautiful little corner of the world. Oh and I get to do it all over again in September :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
Going to show my ignorance here......what are huge Caretta? We are planning to do the Kekova trip when we return in October so need to know what to look out for  ???
Currently hoping and praying we can make it in October.....our much loved little dog has lost the use of his back legs.....we don't know why but he is currently crated in the hopes whatever is causing it will ease......very tiring and time consuming but fingers crossed it will do the trick.....trouble is no one else would be able to look after him for us to go away. Sorry a little off topic there but every time a read a lovely post on here I think please let us be able to go as planned. :'(

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »
Wow!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 05:33:45 PM »
Yeah thats them. Sea turtles and a beautiful but endangered species. So lucky to have seen them up close and within touching distance.
Oh Babs your poor dog! Everything crossed for a full and speedy recovery.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »
Thanks Itstime.....not sure it will be speedy.....we've been going for 10 days already!  :(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's Seeing & Believing - 2013

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 07:14:20 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Seeing is Believing - the preparation starts.

9 Replies
Last post August 03, 2013, 12:54:09 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Seeing & Believing 2013 Holiday - Day 1, Sept 1st

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 03:51:07 PM
by Skunk
xx
Antler's Seeing is Believing 2013 Holiday in Kalkan - a trial video?

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 11:35:04 AM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Seaport fresh fish

Views: 3080
By: leesyloo
028.JPG