Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 8041 times)

Offline Vieux con

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Greetings
« on: February 18, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
Hallo everybody,
My name is Bob, I''ve been ''guesting'' my way around this forum for a few days now, and feel that the time has come to stick my head out from underneath the duvet. Mostly to say thanks to everyone for the wealth of information in here, also to say happy birthday to Jon - excellent site, well done that man.

I''ve never been to Turkey, let alone Kalkan, but that will change in August when we arrive en masse, ten of us, ranging in age from 17 to err, whatever.
We''re a truly multi-national bunch, comprised of four Belgians, two Belgo-Dutch, two Swiss, one Dutch, and the token Brit - me.

That''s enough to start, now watch for the dumb questions...

Cheers,
Bob

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1131.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »
hello Bob...
Boy are you in for a treat!! Never been to turkey let alone Kalkan? you will love Kalkan and it''s people !How come you are such a multi-national lot? Where did you all meet? never mind about dumb questions,we will try and answer all for you..someone on here will know!! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Vieux con

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
It''s a family thing... My wife is technically Dutch but never lived there, born & raised in Belgium. This is the second marriage for both of us - her girls (my stepdaughters) form the Belgo-Dutch wing, their boyfriends make up the Swiss contingent. The remaining Belgians are two nieces and their partners.

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »
Welcome Bob. Wow - August, that''ll be really hot. Lots of ice-cold Efes recommended!  ;)
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »
Welcome Bob and please feel free to ask away! As littlelin says it will be scorching in August.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:06:50 PM »
Hi Bob and welcome.  As the others say I''m sure you will love Kalkan.  There is something for all age groups.  You will also be pleased to know that your 17 year old stepdaughters will be very safe wandering around Kalkan on their own at night, gives you all a bit of time to yourselves!  There is a thread on here aimed at the younger visiter.  My 17 and 20 year old daughters just love it, I can''t get away without them!  Enjoy!

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:12:25 PM »
Hi bob - just to add my welcome too - and to echo the others comments - you will absolutely love Kalkan and may well find that the kalkan mozzie well and truly bites you and you just have to keep coming back...just like the rest of us...!!! ;D ;D

As others have said - fire any questions at us.....no worries if you think they are dumb or not...coz it is always useful info for those people''s first forays to turkey - never mind Kalkan!!

Cheers!  And get used to the word EFES...you will need that lots in August...the most refreshing of beers!! 
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Vieux con

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
Thanks to all for your welcoming words. I kind of figured it would be hot in August, no choice unfortunately, as we still have one at school. But we can do hot.

Charlie, appreciate your comment. One of the reasons that we chose Kalkan was so that the young''uns could do their own thing of an evening in safety and without the need of my services as taxi driver. I''ll get the girls to check out the thread you mention.

Have to admit that I''m not familiar with Efes (I''m a Leffe fan), but as luck would have it, there''s a local retail outfit offering 450+ different beers, so I guess I''ll be paying them a visit. This afternoon in fact. Will report back on progress.

Cheers!

ps Just run the spell-checker on this, it hilighted Efes & Leffe! Surely some mistake?

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »
Hi Bob,
just to add to Charlies comments, my Daughter is 20 and we have been going to Kalkan for the last 10 years. Last Year for the first time she went to Magaluf on a girlie holiday and hated it. "it''s just not the same as Kalkan, it was so tacky" she said. Now don''t get me wrong, my Daughter can party with the best of them but she actually got fed up with clubbing night after night, she also said she didn''t feel as safe as she did in Kalkan. Her and a friend are hoping to go to Kalkan (without boring old Mum!!!!) later this year.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
As a fellow Leffe Fan, I would suggest you bring a few with you. Efes is ok but not really in the same league and can get a bit monotonous on a two week visit.  

Better duck for cover now.

Regards

Alan

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 06:12:18 PM »
Oooheerrr Alan - you are treading on dangerous ground here..LOL!!  You might see the odd bottle flying through the air to hit you on the head..!! :o :o

Maybe we should start a new thread - about Efes and what people think of it.  ;)  Personally - I like it a lot and find it very refreshing in the heat of the summer - but as Im not a conoisseur....most lager type beers taste much of a muchness to me (which horrifies my other half...that I cant taste the difference!).  My son however (aged 14!!) prefers Efes Dark...sort of nearly a stout type of beer but not quite...!! 

Cheers or serefe!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »
on a boiling hot day ..Efes is fine and dandy!! so fine and dandy infact that my legs have gone wobbly :angel: :angel:

Offline Vieux con

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 11:34:05 AM »
Oops, wasn''t my intention to start ''Beer Wars''

So, a new thread on Efes? And a new forum for Leffe!

errr, I''ll get me coat...

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 12:35:33 PM »
I think each of them have their own unique taste but, when in Kalkan it has to be... Efes!
Lovely views, the heat of the sun and a very cold Efes in an iced glass...yuum!!  :D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
i wish more places did ice the glasses,it is getting hard to find these days!!cold beer shoved into a warm glass doesn''t stay cold beer long...mind you with my neck it doesn''t stay in a glass long anyway!! ::)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »
In my experience they always serve Efes in an iced glass in the Merkez. Mmmm got me thinking about their Turkish pan omlette now too!

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 01:37:14 PM »
Efes always served in ice glasses at the Meldi too..I must try that...but then I have a couple of beer coolies that I put round the bottles and drink out of the bottle - very uncouth I know..!!

Vieux con - don''t take it personally...LOL!!  Each to their own and that..and I thought beer (or lager) was just beer (or lager..!!) haha..but you''ll have to get used to the taste of EFES coz you won''t find that Leffe stuff anywhere in kalkan - I shouldn;t think...what is Leffe anyway..is it german...???

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
i thought a leffe was a posh person having fun!! ;D ;D

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
Leffe is a blond beer from Belgium...and it is rather tasty!  >:D
Its very light and refreshing and has a 6% ABV.
Definately worth a try if you like Efes.

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
Personally I find lagers very gassy and they tend to make me feel bloated. I did try Efes Light last year and also the Dark(OH prefers this as he''s a bitter drinker) but even I have to admit there''s nothing better than sitting admiring the Kalkan view with an ice cold Efes.

If only I was there now... Only 14 weeks to go........

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan

Views: 3491
By: shining-one
beatiful flowers