Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Prickly heat  (Read 3712 times)

Offline muckyones

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Prickly heat
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
I suffer badly with this, a lumpy red rash all over my chest and arms that burns like fire in the sun. Does anybody know please if you can buy heavy duty antihistamines at the pharmacy in Kalkan or should I try my doctor here? Struggle to get help over here - stock answer from gp is that he needs to see the rash before prescribing - no chance of that with British summers!

My holiday arsenal is piz buin allergy sun cream, E45 as an after sun, daily antihistamines in the two weeks up to holiday and magicool prickly heat spray - my luggage allowance is halfway there without packing any clothes!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11125.0

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
Re: Prickly heat
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Hi Muckyones

I always find the pharmacies excellent in Kalkan. I came out in a rash all over my face last year (allergy to the suncream I think) and I was given tablets and cream that worked a treat. I usually go the pharmacy at the start of Kalamar rd.
Also start taking anti histamines now. I used to suffer with prickly heat but don't since taking them for hayfever.

Good luck  :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
Hi Muckyones,

Prickly heat is horrible isn't it! I used to get it too, but thankfully haven't had it for a while now. What happens is that the sweat glands get blocked either with sweat, suncream or a combination of both and then the rash and itching starts.

I find that keeping as cool as possible helps (difficult I know in the blistering heat), making use of the air con at all times and applying my sun cream on dry unsweaty skin at least 30mins before venturing outside and using the lightest suncreams I can find, either sprays or lotions rather than thick cream. Incidentally, cold yoghurt (plain!) straight from the fridge is really soothing as is calamine lotion. Try and stick to unperfumed products too.

Hope you don't suffer too badly this year!  :(

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »
I used to suffer really badly and as you say get no joy from GPs here but I found that pharmacies abroad could always supply magic cream immedialtely the rash appears to take away the itch and it worked instantly - i also agree with Mrs EK as on the odd occasion I have had to visit the chemist the one at beginning of kalamar Rd were marvellous (just along by what used to be Corner restaurant). I have also found that if I go on sunbeds beforehand (i know i know - not good for you) it certainly does the trick for me, my daughter tried the same and it works for her too.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
You might find you are better with P20 suncream. It lasts all day and doesn't need to be reapplied and it is not a cream. It's a liquid. My husband has had prickly heat in the past but hasn't since using it. You put it on and need to stay out of the sun for 15 mins until it is active, during which time don't put on any light clothing as it can stain.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:37:59 PM »
You might find you are better with P20 suncream. It lasts all day and doesn't need to be reapplied and it is not a cream. It's a liquid. My husband has had prickly heat in the past but hasn't since using it. You put it on and need to stay out of the sun for 15 mins until it is active, during which time don't put on any light clothing as it can stain.

Yes, and remember to wash it off completely before getting into bed otherwise it will stain the sheets - we have lost count of the number of sheets we have had to replace because of this stuff.

However, I really sympathise over the prickly heat - I suffered from it really badly for a few years but have no problems now... it's horrible... I think it can be helped by taking Vitamin E but I might have got that wrong.  I certainly haven't had any recurrence since taking multivitamins every day but that could just be a coincidence

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »
Off topic Martyn E, what nights in August do Midtown Band perform?  :D

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »
A report on BBC1's Watchdog programme last week (yes, I know: such sophisticated viewing habits I have!) appeared to allege (careful wording!) that some Piz Buin products had been associated by consumers with bad rashes and inflammation. Could this perhaps be a contributory factor?

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
Off topic Martyn E, what nights in August do Midtown Band perform?  :D

tsk tsk, the forum police will arrest you... but it's Tuesdays and Fridays (although there may be a short break towards the end of August due to an imminent trip back to UK).

NOW KEEP ON TOPIC!! ;)

Offline anne41

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
  • young at heart
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »
I also used to suffer badly from prickly heat but as another said changed to using P20 which only has to be applied in the morning and never had anymore problems and the new formula does not stain clothes or bedding yellow.

It also comes in factor 10, 15 and 50 now. Which apart from 10 you have to buy on line....at least I've not seen it in our shops

As a fair skinned Scottish person would not hesitate to recommend it....and I still get a wee tan minus the itch!

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
I have the same problem but just use the Calamine and Glycerin cream from Boots. It works really well.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »
Our best friend the pharmacist will help you.....we go to the one near Kaya above the deli that sells the hot chickens. He speaks perfect English and you can buy just about anything over the counter and its all relatively cheap. I have sun sensitivity which can develop into a rash which isn't unlike prickly heat but only appears on my shins and makes my legs swell.... :P He gave me some great cream that takes it away within a couple of days and also brought the swelling down so I'm pretty sure he will be able to assist you with prickly heat but unfortunately you will need to develop it first to have it treated :( We were very badly bitten this year and ran out of HC45 so bought something from him which was really good and about ten times the size for half the price you pay in UK.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline muckyones

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »
Pleased to report it's now day 11 and no prickly heat :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal