Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Posh people alert!  (Read 9942 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Posh people alert!
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »
Chrissy thanks for that. We just can't wait. Glad your having a great time.

Jayne

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »
Just 'ad me spray tan, 'cause I don't go in the sun like what those posh people does ;D ;D ;D    Got me 'air extensions in, as I might get wet at the fab foam party and I wanna look good when I dive into the fishbowl wiv the ovver ravers what is  what is 'ere ;D ;D ;D   'Ave left the ole man at 'ome wiv the 10 kids, will bring 'em back a stick of rock ;D ;D ;D  Ooh, get me on that plane to Spain. dat's where Kalkan is, innit ??? ??? ???   Please note, before I get any detrimental posts, this is tongue in cheek -  for goodness sake, a good mix of people makes for a fantastic holiday, you can choose whether you join in or not, that is part of the Kalkan magic.

Offline muckyones

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »
Currently sat in mojito bar - can confirm there is a fishbowl being consumed on the premises and they aren't young! Sad to say loving the music and the chilled atmosphere

Offline Timm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 09:44:10 PM »
Genuinely confused; this begins as a piss-take of so-called posh people, but is now a litany of snide remarks about those who eg have fake tans, hair extensions, micro minis & thongs.

Not sure who is looking down (or up) at whom. All in all not a pleasant thread.

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 06:48:59 AM »
Hmm, isn't it those 'posh people' who contribute to the general upmarketness of Kalkan that attracts so many people to come here in the first place?

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:16 AM »
Our evening in Agora restaurant, was recently spoiled by the relentless base music emanating from Mojito - drowning out all the other background music played respectfully by restaurants in the area - to say nothing about the awful searchlight!  Whether that makes me "posh" or not, I don't particularly care, it is not what we come to Kalkan for.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »
I agree with the last two postings, and as I also think the searchlight is annoying and pointless (as do all the people I have spoken to), and agree that having loud music bars drowning out restaurant's closeby is not a great idea.  I must also now be considered officially 'posh.' 
Isis

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 10:15:36 AM »
Another balmy evening - I sit here sipping a glass of chilled white, and look up at the cloudless midnight blue sky.  I smile, as a couple of young women walk erratically past in heels that are really a bit too long and skirts that are really a bit too short; they are talking loudly and deciding where to go for the next cocktail.

This darkness of the sky above me is pierced by beams of light from some bar nearby - it's not the one showing football or rugby (can't tell - the screen is at the wrong angle) but just may be the one farther down, where the out-of tune melodies of an indifferent karaoke singer compete with the bass beat of the the adjacent bars, desperate to lure more people in to give the impression of ' a cool place to be'.

In the opposite direction, I can see the staff of some of the restaurants standing outside exhorting the passing public to examine their menu and experience the truly wondrous food and service they will get if they enter their premises.  If pushed, they will offer some inducement in the way of free starters, just something you get at others without any sort of deal.  Most just politely walk past and go to where they were planning, or maybe have a prior reservation.  The pleading continues as they walk away, before their attention is distracted by another group walking past the restaurant.

A warm breeze suddenly springs up, and the aromas of food cooking, heavily laced with an obvious layer of the spices from the Indian sub-continent assaults my senses.  It is confusing, this mixture of smells, some of it seemingly out of place, like the smell of a chippy in a Michelin-starred restaurant.  The breeze subsides, the curry fumes subside and I can instead take another sip of white as I hear the sound of fireworks being set off, and see the light and smoke from somewhere behind me, obviously someone celebrating some major life event.

I return to my drink and the hustle around me and note the quiet groups of people enjoying their time and endeavouring to ignore the goings on that they choose not to appreciate, and concentrate on their food, drink, company and evening in the only place to be.

Such is a summer's night in beautiful downtown Milton Keynes.

Only 10 weeks until we can enjoy something different in Kalkan!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »
Genuinely confused; this begins as a piss-take of so-called posh people, but is now a litany of snide remarks about those who eg have fake tans, hair extensions, micro minis & thongs.

Not sure who is looking down (or up) at whom. All in all not a pleasant thread.

I agree and we are losing sight of another serious issue the number of Northerners starting to frequent Kalkan  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:01:36 PM by misty »

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »
I'm genuinely confused too. Everyone here (premumably) loves Kalkan.

Does membership of the Kalkan Lovers' Club now come with a compulsory sense of humour by-pass?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »
I love Kalkan, but I dont love you Misty!!!

By heck, I can't buy a genuine fake handbag from't shop or't market wiout ya whingin' and now, I carnt even oppen me gob while I'm in Kalkan, for fear of being oined wi posh southerners rolling th'eyes at us!!!  :P >:D >:D >:D

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
Sorry if I appear to have a "sense of humour bypass," but I just don't see what's funny. For me, one of the real joys of returning to Kalkan each year is in the evenings when leaving the villa and walking down town while taking in the view of the lights twinkling around the bay. Having that view spoiled is a big deal. So is the ambiance of a meal being changed by a background of thumping music. Over the years I've visited many Spanish resorts in the Costas, Balearics and Canaries but fell in love with Kalkan because of its laid back charm. I don't choose to spend evenings out surrounded by lasers or loud music when on home turf, so why should I want to when I'm away for a few days of each year? For me, I find it very sad that the one place I look forward to visiting for eleven and a half months of each year may be changing for the worse so I may well have to start looking elsewhere. And no, I'm not posh, just an ordinary Northerner whose daughter (in her twenties) happens to feel the same as I do. Any advice where a Kalkan lover can go in future? I believe Croatia is very nice.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
Sorry... by referring to a "sense of humour bypass" I wasn't belittling the views of anyone who wants to keep Kalkan the way it is (or was). Far from it - I actually agree, for the most part and certainly don't want to see Kalkan become like Marmaris or Benidorm.

But taking the mickey out of other people for their views, beliefs and customs is a uniquely British  form of humour and is to be cherished. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it, even (especially) when it's directed at me (a soft Southerner) and people who think like me.

A little light-hearted banter (both ways) can actually inform an argument., not inflame it.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »
I love Kalkan, but I dont love you Misty!!!

By heck, I can't buy a genuine fake handbag from't shop or't market wiout ya whingin' and now, I carnt even oppen me gob while I'm in Kalkan, for fear of being oined wi posh southerners rolling th'eyes at us!!!  :P >:D >:D >:D

I've seen you walking your Whippet into town asking if any of the bars are having a stick a ferret down your trouser competition.... ;) ;)

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
Oh dear, I think some people have had a sense of humour bypass >:D >:D >:D >:D
I would like to think that the majority of posts on this subject have been totally "tongue in cheek", after all we all could do with a laugh, makes the day go better ;D ;D ;D   
P.S. What abart Whippet racing up Cardiac Hill >:D >:D >:D

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
Oh dear, I think some people have had a sense of humour bypass >:D >:D >:D >:D
I would like to think that the majority of posts on this subject have been totally "tongue in cheek", after all we all could do with a laugh, makes the day go better ;D ;D ;D   
P.S. What abart Whippet racing up Cardiac Hill >:D >:D >:D

Surely downhill would be better - more in keeping with the sentiments being expressed... mwahahahaha :))

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
Our villa up in Kiziltas has no lighting on the steps leading up to  the villa , so if they could point the said laser at our Villa and light it up a bit that would be very useful indeed , we could then advertise as a very posh villa

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
Must admit I've never tried one of those, what sort of drink is it? Must have led more of a sheltered life than I thought, after all  :angel:

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »
Clara it's vile! It's a drink I used to have many, many moons ago and first tried in Ibiza. Jägermeister and red bull. Horrid! I was once in a bar in Blackpool (I come from Lytham and Blackpool was a destination for a hen do I attended) and came across a group of males signing said song whilst downing these drinks. I asked what they were singing and apparently that's the song you sing whilst drinking them!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 07:02:10 PM »
Hmm I must try a few of those agent ottoman and I'm practising the song as we speak!
Gotta go now as me whippet's attacking me ferret!!  ;D ;D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Newbie Alert

Started by mcrterry on Introduce Yourself

1 Replies
Last post March 09, 2014, 07:45:20 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Celebrity alert!

Started by Lizilu20 on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 01:42:51 PM
by Chris_S
xx
Troll alert

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 08:12:00 PM
by Haybo
xx
easyjet alert

Started by seasick on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 08:56:32 PM
by Cuddles

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal