Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Head Scarves  (Read 6091 times)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Head Scarves
« on: February 09, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »
Turkey''s parliament has approved two constitutional amendments easing the ban on women wearing Islamic headscarves in universities. This has proved to be quite divisive and there are planned rally''s in Ankara aginst this decision. I just wondered if any other members, particularly those living in Turkey had any views on this.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1101.0

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Head Scarves
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »
Yes, Loretta, I''ve got a pretty strong opinion on this but (and I''m not at all wanting to put you down or anything) I do feel that it''s not my country and I don''t know enough about the subject so I''m not prepared to start an argument about  it.

I think that many of us probably feel the same way & that''s why you haven''t had any replies.

Now if we got on to Rowan Williams................................... :D

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 09:44:58 AM »
Now Sally don''t get me started on Rowan! I understand your reservations about commenting on this subject and that is one of the reasons I asked if any other members, particularly those living in Turkey had any views on this matter. Like you I do not feel it is my place to air my views when I am not a Turkish Citizen. However I did want to find out what Turkish people feel about this issue.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:52:30 AM »
Oooh er..Rowan - yes - that could be a contentious thread...LOL -not sure how he fits in with this forum - but we have a politics thread don''t we....!!  I too don''t know enough about the headscarf issue and as it is something that doesn''t really affect us - not sure we should really comment on it..BUT something that does affect us is the forthcoming smoking ban - so that would be a more relevant subject for discussion, in my opinion..!!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 09:53:22 AM »
Oh sorry - just realised it WAS posted in the politics and debate thread... :laugh: 

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »
todays fethiye times -  www.fethiyetimes.org.uk carries a link to an excellent article recently published in the financial times.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »
The FT video report is indeed an excellent brief summary of the headscarf issue.  Recommend it to all.

To those of us non-Turkish and / or non-Moslem it might seem obvious that a woman should be able to wear what she wants in public places, within reason.  Certainly I would prefer to see a headscarf in centertown Kalkan than an uncovered bikini which, imho, has no place in a town center, beach town or not. It is distasteful and discourteous to local moral standards. 

The headscarf issue is peculiar to Turkey and to those western countries like France where it has become a political symbol.  I lived in another Moslem country where woman are free to choose headscarves of any variety or to remain uncovered with no problem and no protest.   But here in Turkey as in some European countries, it is seen as a political statement rather than a commitment of faith and fidelity to the tenets of that faith.

The issue is not really the headscarf.  It is what the headscarf -- and especially specific types of headscarves -- symbolize to the staunch defenders of Ataturk, the Kemalists who see it as the beginning of the end of secularism. A backsliding and breach of separation of religion and state. 

I don''t share that view, and I think it is a shame that Turkish women are prevented from attending a public university or holding office because of their religious observance.

Admittedly, this is a SIZZLING issue so do be careful when you express your views.  Tread lightly!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:00:43 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:28:21 PM »
I think Cosetta was able to give a clear answer to the topic - Thankyou.

I have taken the decision to lock this topic to ensure it does not offend our Turkish friends, which it could do with just one misjudged comment.

As Cosetta mentioned, please do look at the FT report.

Jon

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

angry
Music that does your head in

Started by Chucky on The Everything Else Area!

63 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 06:00:27 PM
by yelkenite

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal