Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: UK Inheritance Tax  (Read 1988 times)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
UK Inheritance Tax
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:20:39 AM »
I was having a chat with a fellow owner the other day and was astonished to hear her say that she assumed her Turkish property was outside the net for inheritance Tax in the UK, just because she was now resident in Turkey.

Wrong!!! For a UK domicile, the tax is assessed on all worldwide assets regardless of where it is or where you live. Don't confuse residency with domicile, or you might be leaving a lot less to your kids (and a lot more to George Osbourne) than you realise!

Just saying...

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10978.0

Offline jezhuggins

• Sugarpuff
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: UK Inheritance Tax
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:33:10 AM »
Thank you for this,something that I did not know...

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:54:04 AM »
Well, forewarned is forearmed, as they say! It's known as the voluntary tax because it's easy for most people to avoid with a few simple measures - but if you don't know about it you can't do anything about it!  ;)

Offline Painter Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
Hi Martyn,

Yes, UK Inheritance Tax is based on world wide assets and is currently payable on the value of all assets above £325K unless left to a surviving spouse. The allowance if not used, can as I understand, it be transferred to the spouse and added to the spouses allowance on death of the spouse.
You say it is a voluntary tax and easily avoided but it is not quite as simple as you imply, yes there are trust structures that can be used but there are disadvantages to these, insurance policies can also be used but these are not cheap. The assets can all be given away and provided the donor lives seven years the gift will be exempt any tax due but this also has disadvantages. The major asset most people have is their home and if this is given away the donor can not live in it, there are suggestions that the donor can pay a market rent for living in the property but the Inland Revenue do not like this and there is no guarantee that this solution will be accepted.
If you can suggest some easy ways of avoiding the "Dreaded Tax" legally I would like to hear about them. I am aware of certain illegal options but these are dependent on the revenue not finding out.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »
Hi Painter Man

Ok, I agree it's not necessarily "easy" to avoid Inheritance Tax but there are certainly tried, tested and perfectly legal methods of mitigating it. Of course, there are costs involved in re-drafting wills, setting up trusts and planning a gifting strategy but once you know those costs it's a simple decision... am I prepared to pay some modest costs now, in order to save my estate (ie my children) thousands in tax when I die? That's what I mean by "voluntary tax" :)

To be fair, a lot of people take the view that their kids are going to be well off enough when they die anyway, so why pay hard earned money now just to get rid of a tax bill that, by definition, they will never see?  ;)

Offline Painter Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »
Hi Martin,

You are right, there are going to be a lot of children who are going to get a bit of a shock when they see how much tax is going be paid out of their parents estates, especially if the parents lived in the greater London area.
I wanted to send you a private e-mail but I do not seem able to find out how. Perhaps you, or some one else can as I have some questions you may be able to answer but it really is not something for general publication.
Thanks

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
My email address is martyn.ellis@sjpp.co.uk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal