Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: packing  (Read 9022 times)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
packing
« on: February 06, 2008, 06:26:59 PM »
Following on from other threads where baggage allowance has been discussed I''m looking for tips/advice on how to ensure I stay under the allowance. Been stung a couple of times for overweight bagage and do try so hard to be careful about what I take. I''ve read all the tips from the experts, looked at so called "capsule" wardrobes  ??? but still find myself struggling to stay under the limit. Even when only going out for a week I still manage to be only just at the limit. I don''t think I''m taking too much "stuff" we have a washing machine so no problems chucking stuff in while over there. I do take loads of books but tend to leave them behind. I don''t bring back Turkish delight (amazingly heavy :( ) but yet always find myself either just about ok or over the limit on the way back :(
What am I doing wrong ???
Now please don''t tell me to bring less pairs of shoes/sandals. Can''t be done!!!!!!!!!! ::)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1090.0

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: packing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
itstime, the old adage was "when you have packed for a holiday, take half of the clothes you intended, and twice the money...."    ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »
lol tried that and still doesn''t work. If I take twice the money I just buy more "wonderful bargains" to take home with me :-[

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »
Going back to ''capsule wardrobes''. Apparently what you are meant to do is transform whatever you have on in the day by adding a few glitzy accessories and a slick of lipstick!

Ridiculous!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »
I''m with you, Itstime....can''t imagine how anyone manages to be under the limit both ways. I see people at the airport with tiny cases and think that''s just about big enough for my supply of Avon Skin so Soft....where are your clothes??? :o I''ve been charged going out of Manchester tons of times...years ago no-one bothered what your case weighed, but now you can''t be a kilo over the limit without the dreaded excess baggage charge. As it''s impossible to wear anything resembling a heel in Kalkan (believe me I''ve tried everything permutation of heel) at least we can only pack flats...perhaps not in every colour or style, but they''re lighter than wedges  ;D
I rely on my better half to give me two thirds of our allowance, but would also be be grateful for any tips from the expert packers  :laugh:
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48:31 PM »
But seriously though.. ;)
Take ONE pair of comfy shoes (no, you don''t need the stilettos...)

No spare handbags

Minimum toiletries, they''re all available on sale here

Don''t take any toiletries home

Don''t take toilet rolls (believe it or not, people do!), teabags, or any foodstuffs, they''re all available in Turkey

Don''t pack any "just in case" stuff (you know the sort - "oh I need the ballgown, what if we''re invited to a Hunt Ball/ the tiara, what if we''re invited to dinner with passing royalty/ cricket bat & pads, what if we''re asked to play cricket etc etc"

Don''t take an iron, take clothes which don''t crush

Don''t take any items of clothing which don''t match each other, taking one odd-coloured skirt (or trousers) means you end up needing a blouse (or shirt to match it, a jersey to match that, etc,

Lay out your things to pack; count the items; then ask yourself "how many days am I staying?"
If you have more than 1 outfit for each three days, then be firm, and chuck out the extras.

Alternatively, if you''re a lady, let Mr. Itstime pack!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 06:50:39 PM »
Lol had the indignity a couple of times at not being able to check in suitcase at normal desk and being sent to "over sized" luggage point. Huh!! the fact that my suitcase looked like a coffin and would easily house an average sized person is neither here nor there. Having invested in new expandable luggage which is slightly smaller hasn''t helped.
And Jayne can''t agree more what on earth does a change of lipstick do to transform an outfit ???

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 06:51:19 PM »
Crikey!!! I couldn''t let Mr Kalkan4Eva pack for me.....I dread to think what might end up in the case :o :o

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
Kalkan4eva - well, they do say surprise keeps a relationship fresh.... ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
No spare handbags :o lol I don''t take them but just have to buy at least one new one when I''m there. They''re not heavy :)
Stilettos :o can''t even wear them at home as I look like Lilo Lil ( if anyone remembers her) if I try to walk in them. And as for Mr It''s time OMG wouldn''t dare do that, I''d end up with no clothes to wear and only dozens of books to cover my modesty ::)

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »
Not really sure itstime, think I might have mixed up that bit with a Jackie Collins novel :D

Offline Pebble

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 07:08:02 PM »
Vicksen.  1 outfit for each 3 days  :o I could''t possibly wear the same outfit more than once LOL  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 07:08:13 PM »
wear your trainers/shoes on the way out....pack a couple of pairs of flippen floppen !! day ones and dining ones!! as vicksen says we don''t take any toiletries we buy them in Kalkan.Cotton clothes are not only light but cooler. Our only need is P.G tips tea bags of which we have about 8 cups a day ..i need at least 2 cups before i can function in the morning .As for lipstick ..i look a mess when it smudges ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 07:17:49 PM »
Ah, ye ladies of little faith  ;D - come on gents, are you really as utterly incapable of packing as your ladies believe, or do you just prefer to let them think so to get you out of doing it??? >:D

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »
I''ve had a good idea. Why not wear all your clothes to the airport in layers, starting with your underwear, then swimsuits, moving on to t shirts, shorts, finishing with evening attire. That that way you can take as much as you like.

Might be a bit hot though   ;D

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »
Hmmm Jayne, the slinky black cocktail dress might end up slightly pulled out of shape once it''s been worn over the top of the t-shirts and shorts, the jogging trousers and jersey.... :(

Reminds me of that scene in then Marx Bros "A Night at the Opera" where Harpo is wearing all the different costumes, one atop the other...

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
For a fortnight I take:

4 pairs of knickers
2 bras (including the one I am wearing)
4 T shirts
2 very thin Indian/old hippy style cotton tops for the evening
I pair trousers (which I wear to fly in)
1fleece (fly in it also)
2 pairs of shorts
2 very lightweight pairs cotton trousers for evening
1 very thin & light cotton dress
2 bathing cossies
1 pair flip flops
1 pair smarter (but flat) sandals for evening#
1 pair trainers (which I fly in).
1 sarong/wrap

I decant all shampoo, conditioner & moisturiser into little bottles (available from Boots)
I don''''t wear make up - so that''''s easy
2 tubes sun cream as I need an anti allergen one (one goes in my hand luggage)
2/3 books (again one in hand luggage.)

Any medications is easily available in Kalkan (and cheap) so don''''t take a medicine chest :D

It''''s so easy to wash stuff out and it dries in a flash.

I''''m just so relaxed & "blissed-out" when in Kalkan that I don''''t give a **** what I look like as long as I''''m clean & presentable. It ain''''t exactly a fashion parade when there :D

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:19:28 PM by sally »

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »
Surely that''s what Kalkan is all about, being laid back about dress like the locals, not trying to impress with a different outfit every day. Who the hell cares anyway. Methinks you are maybe trying to take your western habits, East.

If you all have your own places in the village, why can''t you leave some stuff there? We do, T shirts, shorts, trousers and shoes. I put cedar wood balls in the wardrobe and drawyers and no problems with insects or damp to date after 7 years. (Touch wood).

Mind you, we do take all of our toiletries from here and other stuff like kitchen equipment and still manage to fill 1 suitcase between us. Mainly with presents for local friends though.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »
i am a man and am far better at packing than my missus....but this has it''s draw backs as half of her stuff ends up in what was a very light bag of mine!!! ::) i wear shirt and tie everyday for work so i just flop about as comfy as i want ;)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »
Sally, can I book you to do my holiday packing next time :) You''re my new hero and I''m going to play "copy cat"
Well I''ll try!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Packing for 10 days in a carryon bag

Started by tonik1945 on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 07:42:31 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal