Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Water Shortage  (Read 3818 times)

Offline radders

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Water Shortage
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
Hi. I''m hoping someone can advise me on coping with the current water shortage in Kalkan. We own a villa in Kalamar Bay which has a substantial reserve water tank. However of recent there have been complaints from our guests that the water has run out after a day or so.
As the emergency water pump kicks in automatically the guests will not be aware of a mains water failure unless the water runs dry.

My question is. When the mains water stops is it common that the pool tops itself up from the reserve tank? Also does anyone know of some type of indication system that flags up when the water is off to prevent the maintenance man watering the garden etc? and warn people they should be a little more sparing with the water.

Does anyone know the reason for the water shortage and how long it will be a problem?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1709.0

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Re: Water Shortage
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:10:52 PM »
Hi radders, I notice that the all knowing Kalkanites have not reponded to your question in open forum and I am sure its not because no one knows. I have been assured that water shortage is becoming a major concern for many parts of Turkey. There is a lot in the Turkish press about it. The Konya plain for example may soon be displacing 100s of 1000s of people because of the lack of water there. Kalkan is not an area well endowed with water so there is a problem there also. Those without water storage will be able to confirm that the water is off 50% of the time, this year its nearly every day for at least some of the time, it comes enough to fill up water storage when it is off. The problems begin for you when water is for more than say 24 hours and this gets worse year by year. Ithink the answer might be something to do with halting global warming. With regard to your warning ideas, make enquries in England to see if such a system exists,
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:58:30 AM »
Water in Kalkan is 100 times better now than 5 years ago considering the increase in usage. Kalkan has no water of it''s own so it comes through a pumping station in Satlikent and along the nice new plastic pipes as oppose to a trough as before. The water is certainly not off 50% of the time or Every other day but i am sure there must be a general shortage in the whole of Turkey. The automatic top up on your pool will be some kind of float system so the pump responds only to the level of water in the pool system it may cut out if there is no water coming through for safety reasons. All in all we pay relatively little for our water here though the cost has gone up a fair bit  we have no hose pipe bans and you can drink it in the winter if you wish. We keep some pool water in plastic bottles for when it is off for the toilets and use drinking water for the rest. I don''t consider myself a "Kalkanite" but i do live here really live here like all year every year.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:08:50 AM »
Hi
Can only agree with Hoca on this as I also live here all year
The solution to a lot of these problems would be if it was a planning regulation that all new builds should have a sizeable water depot as part of the build. {the Belediye in Fethiye seem to be moving towards this according to an article in the Land of Lights]
But builders seem to want to use the space for more rooms & bathrooms etc rather than use the space for something useful. Also people from the UK buying here never seem to do any homework and seem blinded [literally] by the sun when buying without finding out about the practicalities of life here and then complain when the electric or the water goes off for a while.
But it always comes back on  -  Insallah  ;D

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
Hi Radders

Your problem could be that when the water pressure drops in the main water pipe, your pump starts to pump water back down into the main which empties the water storage tank.

Get your managing agent to have a plumber check your system as a non-return valve may need to be fitted to keep the water from being pumped backwards.

Regards: Buster.
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »
Hoca and Kevicat, do you have water storage at your homes?

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 02:06:01 PM »
We have water storage, but last week when the water went off our tank had a faulty valve, so we were without water for a few hours. Fixed now.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »
Hi  Hel66
Yes we have an underground concrete tank which I am told holds 10 tonnes of water - so to date we have never been without - unless the electric goes as well and it can''t be pumped out  :( but that never really happens much either  ;D

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »
No i don''t have a storage tank and the pool is off a separate communal supply but really the inconvenience is nothing just means no washing up

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »
I dont think Kalkan''s problem is so much a lack of the resource but it''s ability to conserve it when it''s available. I haven''t seen it myself but I understand there are occasionally huge rushes of water from the mountains - there''s actually a large natural culvert that runs under the Kas road, just after leaving Kalkan I think that drains that ''rush'' straight into the sea.  It''s collection the issue I think. somebody tell me I''m wrong... please!    Bill 

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »
I have to agree, water shortages aren''t really a problem, a lack of running water isn''t really a problem unless you like washing up, doing your washing, or showering whenever you fancy, some people are so fussy about these things. What I do when the water''s been off for a few days and the family''s beginning to smell a bit, I put them all in the car with some soap, a bottle of washing up liquid and some persil  and drive them over to Saklikent for a ''personal hygene day'',where we get everything cleaned up, the wife loves it,she says ''you can really get into all those awkward corners over ''ere'', sometimes we have a fish supper afterwards

Offline radders

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »
Judging by the response we will have to either turn our garage into a reserve water tank or make frequent trips to Saklikent. Hope the guests don''t mind the cold water.

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »
The gorge does run into the sea and yes it gushes but only for 2-3 days at a time and about 5-6 times a year, there are lots of springs in that area that is why the water is so cold

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WATER SHORTAGE

Started by cinbar on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post February 21, 2008, 12:45:31 PM
by cinbar
xx
Water Shortage in Kalkan July 08

Started by sandarra on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 06:19:32 AM
by Lantana
xx
Water Water every where but none to drink

Started by tiamaria on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 10:39:37 PM
by tiamaria
xx
Water,Water !!!!

Started by hobbsie65 on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 03:45:37 PM
by maryjane

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal