Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Here we are again!  (Read 13073 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Here we are again!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
Hi All, thanks again for your lovely comments.  :-* hope your foot heals soon Babs. K4E, you're right, moonlight bar was open at Easter last year. Skunk, a few boats are in the water but not many. Clara, your story was really touching!! I can see how your husband got attached to his doggy friends, some are so loveable and others, an absolute pain in the neck!!
Animals seem to be attracted to our youngest. She's the most wary but for some reason, they always make a beeline for her.
She is actually really witty, usually, it's OH that's accident prone but so far apart from one trip, slip and tumble, he's done really well. When we were in Sade the other night, she found a "penny" on the stairs. She was made up, "find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck", so far she is the only one who has had disfiguring bites (mozzie??) all over her face and neck and is constantly stalked by the cat that sleeps outside her bedroom window. She wishes she had "never picked that bloomin' penny up Mum"!!

So yesterday, we had a great trawl through the market, sniffed the yummy smell of gozleme cooking and cheap sh*te perfumes and spices wafting through the air. It's about a 3rd of the size of the summer market but has all the essentials. We bumped into Mr and Mrs Hobbo again who were perusing the stalls as were we.
We lazed around the pool after our cooked breakfast lovingly prepared by muggins here and OH went for a shave and hair cut with the girls in tow, leaving me to have a quiet afternoon in the company of Sue Townsend and "the woman who went to bed for a year" . After finishing this book, I think I may just try this. How decadent to stay in bed and be waited on hand and foot!! Think I could do without the anxiety, weird kids and cheating husband though!!! Really enjoyed this book, laugh out loud in parts - I got some strange looks from passing locals!! I'm now on 'Eloise' by Judy Finnegan, which is the name of our elder daughter and so far so good.
OH returned looking like a silver fox and smelled so good. He had a fantastic scissor hair cut and ear hair burned, nose hair trimmed and shampoo and set!! And a relaxing massage, he kept tensing up on purpose so Sevil Barber would massage a bit more. All this for 20 TL, cheap as chips.
While this was occurring, me stalker cat, and death wish dog were horizontal by the pool, listening to the strains of cock a doodle arrrgggg from demented rooster.

Dinner was at Hunkar and it was really really good. Very highly recommended for quality, traditional food and at a very reasonable price. (82.50TL, with the usual drinks and complimentary meze).

Today has been a gloriously sunny day, just perfect for Patara beach, so that's where we headed. It's our last full day, oh woe is me!!! I can't believe how quickly this week has flown by!!!

Offline Trena59

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
We are on our penultimate evening of a 10 night break in Kalkan and it has all been glorious!
Having bought our apartment in December, this is our second visit this year. We have been awestruck by the wonderful changes in the seasons and the range of weathers we have experienced. We have visited some of the ancient sites we have been to before but were able to enjoy them much more in the spring climate. We have spent almost every afternoon on our roof terrace observing the town and the sea and getting a tan. It has all been fantastic and we cannot wait for our next visit in 6 weeks time. roll on half term!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »
Hi Trena59. Congratulations on buying your apartment and I hope you have many more years of happiness in Kalkan.
I've just re read my latest post - the weird kids and cheating husband were characters in the book, I hasten to add, not my lot!!!!  ;D

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »
Just sitting with my two Golden Retrievers enjoying all your reports - Lizilu - so glad you are having a fantastic time.  We were there last week and also had a beautiful four legged friend who accompanied us to the bank, the market, Yali supermarket, .....  think if we lived there we would have to adopt at least one!  :)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »
Hi Lizilu20. Just wanted to say I have really enjoyed your holiday reports. Sounds like you have had a great time. Have just joined the forum but have been reading all the posts for several months now. Will be going to Kalkan for the first time this summer and reading your reports have got me all excited again!
Had you been there longer I could have sent you on a mission to see how far you can now walk from the harbour towards Komurluk, which is where we will be staying.  Enjoy your last day!
Suzyq1

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »
Good morning and thanks again for all your kind comments. Welcome to the forum Suziq and had we been here longer, we would have completed your mission!!  :) Hey Irene, nice to hear from you, hope it's not too long before you are back here  :)

Well, what a fantastic holiday we've had in Bob and Jayne's apartment. It's in a perfect position with a fantastic sea view from the balcony, of which I'm staring at wistfully, while writing this.  We really don't want to go home   :'(
We're not being picked up until 6 pm, so still a few hours in paradise left!!

Yesterday was a beautiful, hot and sunny day, so we decided to head off to patara after breakfasting by the harbour at fener cafe. My turkish breakfast was delicious and we all enjoyed our food choices. The bill came to 52tl, for four meals and 2 coffee's and 2 soft drinks, excellent value for money. I think we will eat there in the evening too in summertime as its so reasonable with a lovely view. We are taking Shaun's daughter with us too so we will have to budget a little better than we usually do.
We had a little chat with George at the Marina, and a lovely couple dining there, and made our way to the car, ready for our jaunt down the D400.
After no time at all we arrived at patara. This is the best time of year, in my opinion, to visit the ruins as you can saunter round without feeling too sticky and really appreciate the history of the place. It was so pleasant walking down the wooden boards to the beach and then to be greeted by the magnificent view as we neared the hut at the brow of the slight hill. It never fails to impress me.
There was only a handful of people on the vast beach and a few sunbeds out near the beach bar, but we chose to walk and find our own little spot to lay our towels out. True to form, we picked the wrong spot!! On that fairly isolated beach, which stretches for miles, we picked the same spot as the wasp family!! If you were there yesterday, we were the mad family who looked like we were breakdancing trying to avoid the little blighters. Well, all except for OH who got his newly coiffured head down and tried to pretend he wasn't with us!! The sea was bracing so we just paddled in the shallows, I'm always mindful and respectful of the current there anyway, and spent the most wonderful afternoon there, chilling, paddling, walking and wasp dodging.
We headed back to Kalkan, taking in the breathtaking view of the town and harbour as we turned the bend and felt so sad that it will be August before we see that view again.

We ate at Kalkan kebab last night, formerly corner, formerly breezes ( if I remember correctly) and it was really good. Similar to HUnkar and very traditional. We finished off with kunefe and sutluc and the whole meal for 4 cost 118tl. Again, very good value for money and such friendly people and good service.

So today I am packing!!!  :'( and then we will probably go out for our final lunch and say our goodbyes! Thankfully, we are back in August for 17 days with all our girls, which will be brilliant, so goodbye for now and thank you for letting me share our holiday with you. In the next few months, I will be avidly reading and devouring everyone else's holiday reports, so please make sure you all contribute too as I need a vicarious fix before we return. Love to you all and happy holidays   :-*  :)  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »
Morning Lizzie

Just reading your latest brilliant report, thank you for sharing your holiday with us too, what a joy to read.  So glad that you have had a fantastic time. Looking forward to meeting up in August, and hey we will could maybe write a joint report!!! ha ha wouldn't that be funny!

Enjoy your last few hours in the sunshine, don't spend too much time packing, get out on those sunbeds!!!

Jayne 

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
Hi Lizilu
sounds like you had a fantastic day - apart from the wasps - and great holiday. A week is just too short though isn't it?  Hope you have a safe journey home and thank you for lightening up the dark old days in Blighty for a week.  Can't wait to meet you in August - 120 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds until we leave for the airport! Not that I'm counting or anything.  We will be sitting at the moonlight or parc with that nice bottle of wine and laughing our socks off!!
Love xxx

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »
Safe journey home Lizilu and thanks for taking the time to share it with us.  I always intend to do a few reports whilst in Kalkan but never seem to get around to it ::) so I really appreciate those that take the time to do so.  Glad you've had some lovely sunshine and a fabulous holiday :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
Fab reports Lizilu!! :) :) Was lovely to read about Kalkan again, i miss the reports in the winter months. We are just doing a week in Kalkan this year (how will we cram all those restaurants in?!!), as we are doing two weeks in Ibiza in July. Safe journey home.
Nicky

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »
fabulous reports, as usual Lizilu....August will be here before you know it 8)
In the meantime, safe journey home and look forward to many more reports later on in the summer :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
Thanks from me too lazilu . Let us know u got home safe x
Michelle x

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »
Thanks so much everyone. Just to let you know that we arrived home safe and sound in the wee small hours of this morning. After 5 mins of waking in, I started sneezing and have not stopped yet!! Doesn't feel like a cold, more like rhinitis, so it's official - I'm allergic to my own house and need to get back to Kalkan ASAP!!!

Hope you all have wonderful holidays too!!!  8)

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »
Glad you're home safely, but sorry you're sneezy! xx

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
Glad you got home safely, but wish you were still out in Kalkan so we could here what was going on there. 

I know what you mean about been allergic to your own home and needed to be back in Kalkan.  We don't get the sneezing so much but we do feel unwell when we get home.  Post holiday blues I suppose.

Anyway only 19 sleeps and we will be on our way.  Will send some reports but my posts are never quite as interesting as Lizzies.  Never is when there are just two of you.

Jo
x

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »
Are you sure you haven't got a wasp up your hooter??? ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 02:51:35 PM »
Sorry to hear your sneezing Lizzie, what you need is to have a nice post holiday glass of Vino!!!!! X

Jayne

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
Oh, it's going from bad to worse, I'm still sneezing like a good 'un, my left ear feels all slushy inside (think BL!s right, the wasp family have hitched a ride in my nasal passages, and have entered Britain illegally) and just jumped in the car to get provisions in when we heard an almighty grating noise coming from the front wheel. The Coil spring was sitting pretty on our drive and we ain't going nowhere soon!! Ah well cornflakes it is for Sunday dinner and I'll worry about work later. Talk about post holiday blues!!! :'(

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 07:14:01 AM »
9 am local time. I am in my apartment in the Old Town. The sea just turned black, a heavy curtain of grey cloud just dropped from the sky, torrential rain began, and a spectacular twister just danced across Kalkan Bay behind Mouse and Snake islands. Must have looked amazing from the villas higher up. Does anyone have photos? Crikey, another one is coming...

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
Hi Lizilu, just stumbled across this post. What fantastic reports! What a hoot! Been giggling away to myself! Death Wish Dog, I love it! Oh and the chicken! Hilarious! Hope you're feeling better now and the car is fixed too.

Out of interest did you take your Bombay with you and buy at the airport? If so how much can you take? Is it 1ltr per person or 2lts per person?

Xx

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal