Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Take Out  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Take Out
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Each year for the past twelve, we take something out with us that we think we need and maybe can't get in and around Kalkan or, it may just be a lot cheaper in UK. This year it will be a fabric wardrobe, to ease the pressure on the wooden one we had built and, a set of digital scales to replace the analogue ones we took out years ago.

What are others filling their bag(s) with? No prizes I'm afraid but, would be interesting to know the heaviest and/or  weirdest thing you can't spend your summer hols without.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10665.0
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Take Out
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »
A lump of Cheddar Cheese :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »
2 x bottles of Pimms and Bombay Saphirre - not all for us of course!  Followed by ground v strong, Italian coffee - usually consumed in that order :)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
"Dreamie" treats for the local cats who simply adore them :)

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »
Scales??  To weigh you, food or your suitcases?

I always take some cheese and a few packets of ham for lunches for our holiday but we've taken loads of stuff over for the apartment.

When we were over at new year, we used up a whole suitcase taking out a laptop safe - apparently they are quite expensive in Kalkan and when we saw one here for £35 we just had to take one over!

We got married in Kalkan a few years ago and I wanted to make my own cupcakes so we took an electric whisk, muffin tins and cake boxes over, not to mention sugar paste and little sugar flowers that I had already made at home - it took some explaining in Manchester because we had them in our hand luggage!

Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
Scales??  To weigh you, food or your suitcases?

I always take some cheese and a few packets of ham for lunches for our holiday but we've taken loads of stuff over for the apartment.

Kitchen scales this time, took baggage scales last year but usually travel lighter coming home. Scared to take bathroom scales in case we give ourselves a heart attack.

We too take cheddar cheese and stuff for lunches. Difficult to find anything to go with the beautiful salad stuff off the market, other than tuna.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:42:45 PM »
Bacon and sausages...oh and limes, although you can buy them now in the greengrocers I still take them just in case
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:47:19 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:20:18 AM »
The little M&S stores at Gatwick are just great for picking up fresh supplies and cramming them into your hand luggage. Just remember not to buy anything with liquid in it.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »
A couple of years ago, we took 2 x large packs of Westaway Sausages (frozen) with a slab of cheese in the same bag.  When we arrived in Kalkan at 3am in the morning, the sausages were still frozen, so we put them straight in the freezer!

Will take note of the M&S at Gatwick, perfect! Thanks will be great for the journey rather than the food they serve on the flight!
Love M&S sandwiches!  ::)

Jayne
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:09:02 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
Two travel cots.... and I was travelling alone as a single male !
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:06:25 PM »
Two travel cots.... and I was travelling alone as a single male !

Love it!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
I discovered this discussion thread late in the day, but find it useful and entertaining as I have recently begun to equip a place for the first time.  At first, like anyone else, I started off with the basics, and I can imagine how, as time goes on and you've managed to get a few nice little 'hauls' transported over - the 'determined' and diehards get more adventurous. I like the stories of wardrobes, safes and cots. I know someone who successfully packed a flat screen TV in their suitcase.

Friends in KK are always telling me about the great shopping opportunities in Antalya etc. but when you are on your own with limited access to transport, I find it easy to get what I want in the UK at a good price - then just book extra luggage allowance - thus allowing more time for lazing around the pool or drinking beer (or both!).

My latest consignment included a wind up camping lantern (bought in the sale at B&Q), solar fairy lights for the garden, an impressive home made first aid kit, CD player/radio, iPod dock, 50 good DVDs (joblot off eBay), electric blanket, fleecy onesie and Heinz Salad Cream.  All within normal Easyjet hold/baggage allowance.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
A slab of Cathedral City, large bar of fruit and nut, salad cream, mustard and HP decanted into small plastic containers. One year my hubby packed a screwdriver with a selection of attachments for removing the canvas roof of the jeep. Unfortunately on the way home after going through the scanner with the suitcase he was pulled over and asked what the object was and of course we didn't know the Turkish for screwdriver so procceeded to mime screwing actions think the other travellers thought we'd lost the plot or indeed we had a screw loose, no pun intended. Nevertheless we were instructed to empty the case dirty undertrollies in full view of everyone. We eventually found it with huge relief even the customs officer seemed to see the funny side of it   ;D needless to say haven't packed one since.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
Last October we took a selection of vegetable seeds which we gave to Adem for hisl vegetable plot, we will be going over to his place to see if they've taken to Turkish soil. Will be making another visit to B&Q to see what I can find that isn't normally available to grow over there. Runner beans??

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
Great idea Pompeyalbie, hope he had a good crop. Runner beans, yes, my fave especially with plenty of pepper and strong grated cheese melted under the grill with a doorstep of crusty bread, drooling as I type  :P

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal