Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: First timers trip report  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Belladonna

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
First timers trip report
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
We just returned from our first time to Kalkan (and Turkey) and I wanted to get this out while it was still fresh in my mind!

The transfer from Dalaman was swift, we had a private transfer with Exclusive Escapes as we were the only ones going to Kalkan from our flight from Bristol.  I enjoyed the journey and the unexpected, lovely view of Kalkan bay when we rounded the bend.

To our horror it begin to rain on the way and then again when we got to the hotel.  It was a shock as I had been reading the forecasts for weeks and it was wall to wall sunshine.  The next morning though normal service was resumed and it was gorgeous thereafter.

We booked a pool suite at the Regency as it was our silver wedding anniversary and I have to say it was absolutely amazing.  The room was huge, light and with a minimalistic design, with views to die for.  I could look out over the whole bay whilst having a shower!

We didn't do much during the days as we wanted to enjoy our suite, lying on the large terrace and dipping in and out of the pool when it got too hot.  We did walk into the harbour a few times and also did a trip on the Regency motor cruiser, round the coast and to Kekova, stopping for a lovely lunch on the way with plenty of Efes and Angora, hic...  We were also booked on the gulet cruise but decided that two full days at sea were too much in just seven days so we cancelled that.

Where we drank:

Mostly at the Moonlight and Utopia bars, great for people watching, and what a lot there were, a constant stream of them heading past.  What I liked was that everyone made an effort to look nice, it was a real fashion parade to behold!

Where we lunched:

Stayed close to the Regency:  Johnnys - Johnny the turkish pirate has a great little place, basically just a shack but with lovely views and good, reasonably priced food and drinks.  Also Bread and More, they do a very nice homemade quiche and the guys here are real characters and jokers!

Where we dined:

Night 1 - Moonlight terrace.  We didn't realise we had to have chosen from the a la carte earlier in the day so had to eat off the set menu.  The food was very good though (loved the stuffed peppers and vine leaves) and they gave us our first introduction to turkish coffee (I'm now addicted, lol)

Night 2 - Sade.  We had booked this in the morning, they only had one table left so we didn't have any view.  Got to say I was a little disappointed with it.  We had booked on the strength of the TA reviews and whilst the steak was nice, it was just steak, no chargrill or woodsmoke flavour to make it special. That is just my preference however.

Night 3 - Chillies.  The food wasn't bad, but the complimentary pide and puffy bread were delicious

Night 4 - Aubergine.  A very slick operation and nice food, however the harbour at night was not for us, too noisy and busy, we preferred the little street and restaurants above

Night 5 - Regency barbecue.  This was our actual anniversary and we were surprised and touched when the staff and chef brought us a little heart shaped cake decorated with sparklers and edible silver balls whilst announcing our names over the loudspeaker.  The food, music and dancing was fab

Night 6 - Ozalp.  Out early tonight and I was lured in by a particularly handsome waiter (sorry OH, but there was some real eye candy in Kalkan!) who gave us the best table at the front as it wasn't booked until 9pm.  The hot mezes here were lovely

Night 7 - Saffron rooftop.  This had the best view of our stay, we were high up and right at the front because we were the only ones in there!  It did fill up more over the course of our meal though.  I think this was my favourite meal, garlic mushrooms with cheese and giant barbecue prawns, yum..

So the burning question, will we return?  Possibly is what I will say.  Mainly because our hearts are already with Thailand (7 times in 8 years including 2012 and already booked for 2013) but never say never, I agree it really is a special place.

But I can say we had a perfect holiday in Kalkan and I am so happy we picked it for our special day, it will be remembered for a long time.

And lastly, thank you to all you forum regulars, I am so glad I found you - it has been part of my holiday experience reading all your posts and gaining knowledge, you're better than Trip Advisor in my opinion  :D

All the best
Heidi

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10168.0

Offline EK Moderator

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Re: First timers trip report
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post Heidi and for your compliment.
It is the regulars who are so generous with their help and advice to new visiters to Kalkan and the wonderful reports of Kalkan holidays that make this Forum so good.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
Yes, I felt a similar horror when a couple of days into my visit I heard a strange noise outside and went out to see rain plip-plopping into the pool!  ;D I felt it best not to mention it in dispatches to home as London was basking in a heatwave at the time and I didn't want to invite any 'ner-ner ner-ner-ner' nose thumbing. It didn't last long as you say, but it remained rather choppy at sea. Such days are rare in Kalkan even in September Belladonna so you were just unlucky.

Your report was lovely to read and reminded me of how I felt after my first trip to Kalkan. We stayed at the Regency that time too - such a lovely hotel. The staff were amazing from the waiters to the gardener - full of smiles - and the family take such obvious pride in the hotel it shows in everything they do for their guests. It's a shame you decided to forego the day out on the Regency gulet because it is a glorious vessel and it is a blissful, relaxing day. Next time you come to Kalkan (and I really hope that there will be a next time) try to get out on a gulet at least once as it is certainly more stately than a motor cruiser. I managed three full days out during my ten day trip but I'm a glutton for punishment!

How about slotting in two wonderful holidays a year - Thailand and Turkey? Go on, you know you want to!  >:D
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline Belladonna

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
I think we will return Firecat, having never been to Turkey before it was a revelation and a world apart from the "Brits abroad" image I had of the country before I discovered Kalkan.

Being a bit of a cynic I always wonder about the friendliness of the people who work in the tourist resorts, after all they are trying to make a living from you, however it really didn't feel like that in Kalkan.  Its what I love about Thailand too, I was on the beach there once looking for shells and a local lady came over to me and gave me a beautiful one after she saw me, no words just a smile!

Yes the owners and staff at the Regency were an absolute pleasure to have met.  What I liked was the no tipping rule to individuals, just a tip box at reception so everyone got a share, we made sure we gave a good one when we checked out

I was sorry to miss out on the gulet, wished we'd booked that first and cancelled the motor cruiser but having shelled out for the pool suite we couldn't bear to spend another full day away from it  ;D

Also forgot to mention that the Moonlight terrace restaurant was such a romantic setting with a fab view, much recommended
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:32:18 PM by Belladonna »

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
Good report Heidi, glad you enjoyed Kalkan. The Regency is a stunning hotel isn't it! We've just come back from a week in Calis beach near Fethiye and whilst we had a lovely relaxing week it wasn't Kalkan! Calis has now got 'very British' and i know it perhaps sounds daft but whilst we were eating out in the restaurants i kept saying ' the toilets aren't as good as the ones in Kalkan'!!!
Nicky

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
I am sure you will return to Kalkan, we did not return for 5 years but have been back every year since then. Every year we say the same, have a change but after looking at other places something tells me I would be disappointed.

Friends of ours went to Calis Beach for a change this year and wre very disappointed, they normally go to Icmeler, she thought a lot of the  area was dirty with rubbish lying aaround instead of in bins. She liked the rstaurants but said she would not return. On the other hand some people rave about the place. I was not impressed with Olu Deniz when we  went there yet others return year after year. I loved Icmeler for years but now no way would I go back.

Kalkan now is our place, we meet lots of friends each year, have a lovely friendly hotel and of course turkish hospitality...still love it even though I cannot manage the hills anymoreand have to rely on taxi's.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Live Trip Report.....

Started by antler on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 12:13:55 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Trip report 1-8 Sept

Started by LizS on Holiday Reports and Reviews

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 12:59:03 PM
by JACQUIVIVA
xx
kalkan trip report

Started by ladybird on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 05:43:59 PM
by lorilou
xx
Two Timers

Started by Sarah S on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post October 17, 2018, 07:35:42 PM
by Sarah S

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal