Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Review  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Gaia79

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Another Review
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
I and my husband spent 7 weeks in Kalkan at our house by now(One week in April, 3 weeks in July and 3 weeks in August.). Our house is  close to Islamlar village. This year was excellent as always.

Beaches: We like to go to Kaputas, Kalamar, Patara, Kulube beach, Oludeniz and Kekova. The stairs are the disadvantage of Kaputas but it always worth to go. We also like 'Gozleme' made by the Gozleme woman -we gave her this nickname- on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays at Kaputas. The same woman goes to Kalkan bazaar on Thursdays. Kalamar is always very comfortable. If there is a wind at Patara or at Kaputas, Kalamar is always a good choice because the waves are never too big. We also like the restaurant at Kalamar beach. Their food is not complicated but it is tasty. Kulube beach is a free public beach next to Kalamar. The entrance is through Kulube hotel. If there is no space to sit at Kalamar we go to Kulube beach. We like to go to Patara beach a lot, because we can rent an umbrella and go faraway from other people and feel like we are the only one in this nice beach :). Every year we go 2-3 times to Oludeniz and Kekova. Oludeniz is an hour and half from Kalkan (in Fethiye). Kekova is an hour from Kalkan (After Kas). To take a boat trip from Kas and to go to Kekova is always fun. Sometimes we take a boat from Oludeniz and go to Butterfly valley beach too. It looks like to Kaputas and it is very nice. 

Restaurants: For pizza we go to Photo's,  for Doner we go to the new place just cross the street of Ucarlar grocery, for the breakfast we go to Ada Patisserie, also their deserts are very good, for fish & steak we go to Doy Doy, for traditional Turkish food we go to Zula. If we are tired of hot we go to Huseyin's place at Islamlar village. Their fish is very good and we feel like we are at our home when we are at Huseyin. Huseyin's place is a family business and they are very nice people. At Patara we like to go to Bolulu, their traditional Turkish food is very good, and we also like to go to Jimmy's when we are at Patara. We don't leave Patara without drinking a wine or a beer at Medusa. Their owner are also very nice people, Turkish & French couple.

Supermarkets: Absolutely Yali. We tried Migros several times. Migros sometimes has everything and sometimes nothing. It is just opened and they couldn't learn how to manage it yet and made us crazy. Yali is much better than Migros. For grocery we go to Ucarlar.

As I mentioned before our house is next to Islamlar. There is a big heat difference between Kalkan and our house. Islamlar is much cooler than Kalkan. We used only 5-6 times air condition this year (only in July). We don't feel hot at our house. It takes 15 minutes to go to Kalkan but we sleep in peace without sweating.

We will go back to our house in October for 10 more days and planing to spent Christmas in Kalkan too. We are glad that we bought a house in Kalkan. There is always a problem, but good things are always more...

I am sorry for my English (Grammar mistakes and typos). English is my 3rd language. We are a Turkish couple...

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10108.0

Offline Korderekid

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Another Review
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »
Thank you for all these very helpful recommendations. Even though we live here there are still many suggestions which are new to us and we shall look forward to trying out some of these places.

Do you ever go to the Hidden Garden the way to Islamlar.? It is a few hundred metres past the Akbel/Islamlar junction, on the left hand  side of the road if you are going to Islamlar.

Very beautiful, secluded gardens, a large swimming pool with sun loungers and hammocks and delicious Turkish food at very reasonable prices. We often go late morning, swim and relax, have lunch, stay on for tea in the afternoon and with all our food and drinks pay no more than 25 lira a person.

We also like Huseyin's restaurant and often go there. He does. Agree pick up service from Kalkan for those who don't have a car.

So enjoyable to have a Turkish perspective on this forum. Do keep the comments coming please.

Korderekid.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
Thanks Gaia, so nice to hear from a Turk. Your English is exemplary. We are learning Turkish and it is nowhere near as good as your vocabulary and grammar. Well done for such a good account of your experience of Islamlar. Thanks.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »
I saw a beautiful house in Islamlar on the internet Gaia! I wish I had the money to buy it as I am strongly attracted to the idea of the cooler temperatures up in the mountains with all that Kalkan has to offer only 15 mins away. In fact I am thinking of renting in Islamlar next year just to see what it's like being there. Is it easy to get a taxi down to Kalkan from Islamlar? And is there much in the village itself by way of shops and restaurants? Oh, and your English is excellent :)
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
Thank you both for your great reviews, I really enjoyed reading them and hearing things from other peoples perspectives.  :)

Offline Gaia79

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Dear Korderekid,

Thank you so much for your advice!! We always drive through Hidden Garden but never stopped. We were curious about it but didn't try. We'll absolutely stop during our next visit.

We always come to Kalkan with our car or rent a car from Dalaman airport, so I am not sure how easy to get a taxi to/from Islamlar. According to me to have a car  is a requirement for Kalkan considering that there is almost no public transportation.

As far as the restaurants and the shops in Islamlar area: There is enough restaurants. I realized that I forgot to write in my first comment, we also go to the 'Chops' restaurant in Islamlar. Chop's roasted lamb is very good and their 'Hosmerim' desert with ice cream is the best that I ever had in my life. There is only very little markets that you can buy some bread, some vegetable and some drink in the area, but you won't starv to death :). We sometimes use Huseyin's place as a market and buy some water, beer and bread from him :).

About the real estate in the area, I think that the houses are overpriced. We bought our house 3 years ago for a reasonable price and than we decided to buy another house for our parents. While we were driving we saw a farmer house to sale which was needed lots of renovation. We called the number and the owner gave very big number to us. This was 2,5 years ago and the owner is still trying to sell that house. I believe there is a big difference between the real prices of the houses and the price that the owners want. My advice is to wait for the house that you would like to buy and when somebody really needs money and asking for the real price you should be there :). This was our strategy when we bought our house. We went to Kalkan in April and found the owner that needed money in that second...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Review

Started by sidari on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post May 27, 2018, 05:03:16 PM
by sidari
xx
Fidanka review

Started by claire on Accommodation and Hotels

11 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 09:58:31 PM
by claire
xx
Hotel review

Started by Jaymet on Accommodation and Hotels

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 12:19:44 AM
by alantj
xx
Adda transfers review

Started by popps on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 09:52:08 AM
by popps

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Views of Kalkan

Views: 3364
By: tramline
harbour