Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Holiday report - albeit 2 weeks late...  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Holiday report - albeit 2 weeks late...
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
Well, what can I say? We visited Kalkan for the first time in late July as a family of four with two older teenagers who are somewhat hard to please and had a fantastic time!  The older of our two (daughter aged 19) loved it, in particular the shopping and restaurants and the younger (son aged 17) tried to appear indifferent and disinterested but actually rather enjoyed himself.....

We researched a little before choosing Kalkan and used this forum which was very helpful.  To summarise we decided upon the Elvina Apartments which are just up from the top end of the Kalamar Road near to the Elixir Hotel, they were in short fantastic; yes, you had to negotiate the steep hill down and if feeling brave navigate it back up of an evening but with the very reasonable price and availability of taxis there really wasn't a need to have to do that too often!  Going back to the Elvina apartments, my Husband said not to boast too much about them but seeing we've now booked our repeat visit for next year and secured the apartment we wanted I will....  They were, yes, a little bit up the hill but as a 'youngish (ahem)' family it wasn't too much of a problem and boy the views from our apartment were worth it!  The apartments totalled 16 in all and were arranged across 4 townhouse style blocks each with 4 apartments - 3 duplex and one single storey, we had a 'penthouse' apartment which was absolutely lovely, immaculately clean, not over furnished and for some maybe, a little minimal but for us they were perfect; the services of the cleaners and site staff were great, there if you needed them but not in the way if you didn't.  We arrived very late and were greeted immediately and our cases taken from us and led to our apartment where we were given a whistle stop tour (again, judged just perfectly) and shown our welcome pack and water. 

The next morning we awoke and I dramatically threw back the curtains to take in the anticipated views only to be greeted by grey cloud...... Urgh, how did that happen? I actually laughed aloud which in turn woke my husband, who groaned and promptly went back to sleep thinking it was yet again another of my dodgy jokes.... eventually he did open one eye, blinked and grunted; however we eventually got on with our new lives in Kalkan and slowly but surely it brightened up and it was, to be fair the only grey day we encountered! 

We quickly found our feet that first morning and took a gentle 10 minute amble into the old town from the apartment and realised just what a gem we had chosen.  Our holiday essentially was centred around, relaxing (46m pool at the Elvina - yes thank you), Kalamar Beach Club - 9.5tl pp, including taxi pick ups and drop offs + sun beds, umbrellas and free pedalos and kayaks, eating (recommendations, totally unbiased to follow) and shopping, again recommendations to follow! Anyway, in terms of eating here goes:

BREAKFASTS:

Olive Tree Cafe (old town) - good, reasonably priced.
Aqua Cafe (near to a parts) - very good, personable service, very well priced.
Cafe Eve - a bit pricey, very quiet and breakfast order misunderstood but upon realising the lovely Swiss chef raced out and apologised profusely and we were then plied with a free fruit plate!
Omar's Cafe - busy, not our thing, service very poor - food ok.

LUNCH:

Due to over indulgence at breakfast on one too may occasions we only ate at the Kalamar Beach Club on the few times we visited, the food was of a good standard, reasonably priced given the location and the views were to die for!

RESTAURANTS FOR EVENING MEALS:

Baharat (Old Town) - Fabulous, couldn't fault the food, service good - price wise in terms of our spend highish but justified.

Chillies (Kalamar Rd) - Mixed reviews, I didn't enjoy it, neither did my daughter, however the 'boys' did. Food not the best but they tried hard.

Olive Garden (Roof top restaurant, it has an alternative name but not sure what it is!) - a big disappointment, pricey, service very slow and to boot a live bug ran out of my daughter's starter when she cut into it.... We wouldn't return sadly.

Mussaka (port) - very busy, service a little slow consequently but the food was lovely :)

Cafe Vita (Kalamar Rd - high end near to the Elixir) - we went for the £10ph BBQ night, it was a bit 'squashy' but the service was good given the very busy nature of the evening. The range of starters was excellent and the BBQ in my Son's opinion was the best meal he had there.

Cafe Aqua (Kalamar Rd - again high end near to the Elixir) - Lovely, excellent service, unpretentious, food good and most definitely home cooked, very reasonable in terms of price.

Fenners Cafe (port) - ok, very reasonable given the location.

Sofra (old town) - lovely, very good service, very good food at the pricier end of the range.

Sade (old town - fantastic, small (you'll need to book), excellent service, food lovely, great place to eat - pricier end of the range.

Fotos Pizza (top of old town) - cheap cheerful and it's Pizza albeit a bit tasteless but hey the view are nice!

SUPERMARKETS:

All within an easy walk downhill from the Elvina Apartments (and a Taxi ride back up!) - Migros, new but well stocked.  BIM (just up the hill from Migros) - excellent for basics and quite literally half the price for water etc, however doesn't sell alcohol!  Yali (big store near to Migros and BIM) - a bit 'higgledy piggledy" but the best place price wise to buy Wine!  Yali (small store upper end of Kalamar Rd near to the Elixir and Elvina), same prices as store in town, well stocked and convenient for fresh bread etc.  Beware of some of the small 'Supermarkets' just at the beginning of the walk down into the old town, they make up their prices!  There is a 'Tesco' - Kipa just before you enter the old town, this is good for certain items and fairly priced - particularly for Effes according to my Husband!

SHOPPING:

The Thursday Market is an experience and it is good fun to haggle, however we were in particular interested in the lovely leather on offer and my Husband bought a belt in the market (which was apparently a bargain, only to leave the lovely leather shop 'Misty Mae' with a long face a day later after my Son had bought a much nicer, better quality belt for the same price);  the motto here being, yes go to the market but ultimately the shops in town are invariably better in terms of quality and do offer very competitive prices.  If, as two of us were are looking for handbags, my daughter and I highly recommend Misty Mae, BSG and Indeed (I think), the quality and service were fantastic!  Misty Mae (for us) was a particular favourite :)

BOAT:

We went out for a day cruise and had set our hearts on Yildiz II which 'Antler' had recommended but we met up with friends who arranged a day cruise on the Neptune - 'she' was a well loved boat and the Captain and his lovely Canadian wife Tracey gave us the most fantastic day at sea with the most amazing food and hospitality and we were very grateful to Tracey who happily made some lovely restaurant recommendations to us - which were indeed fantastic (see above)...

TO SUMMARISE:

We loved Kalkan, we're going back next year and couldn't recommend it highly enough.  People have mentioned it's pricey, we absolutely didn't find this to be the case and in all aspects found it to be really really good value; we've travelled quite widely and in comparison found Kalkan to be high up in terms of value.  We booked the Elvina apartment this year with the Turquoise Collection and have again booked to stay there next year (in terms of value for money we couldn't fault the apartments - we paid less for two weeks in a lovely apartment than we had for one week in a Villa in Greece); we had a Penthouse apartment and the stairs were at times crucifying so we have consequently booked one of their infinity pool apartments for next year; the service was good and they were very helpful and informative. They offered flights and transfers from the Airport but we chose to arrange these ourselves as we are 'tight'!  We booked our airport transfers direct with ABI TOURS who have an office in Kalkan Old Town - we paid £130 for a return minibus and it was excellent in terms of punctuality and service. 

Anyway I've perhaps put enough information - I do like to talk(!) but as we found this forum very helpful we thought it good to share.....

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10041.0
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:37:01 PM by loumason »
Lou :)

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Holiday report - albeit 2 weeks late...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
What a fab holiday report, thankyou for sharing it with us.  So pleased you enjoyed your first family holiday in Kalkan and have already booked a return visit, hooked like the rest of us! :) Have often looked at the Elvina apartments as they do look great but the steep hill has put me off - might go up there on our next visit to Kalkan and have a nosey with regards to staying there in the future.

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:11:57 PM »
Do Alison!  We were initially put off by the hill but having come back without putting on any weight (a first!) it had it's good side..... Our friends stayed at the Elixir and came up a few times and were impressed by what they could have got for their money in comparison and having never considered an apartment are now having a rethink.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »
thanks for your report, loumason - so glad you enjoyed Kalkan.
We've also looked at Elvina a few times - not put off by the hill but it did seem its position might mean you lost the sun quite quickly late afternoon - is that the case?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »
If you stay around the main pool, no you don't loose the sun - you just need to play a bit of 'musical sun loungers'!  We stayed in one of the penthouse apartments and were very blessed with the sun all day. I do however know that the apartment we're staying in next year will loose the sun later in the day - that won't be a problem though as it will force us down to the main pool to be sociable!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
Musical sun loungers is good fun..it gives you a change of scenery and something else to look at..unless the ant you have been watching for 2 hours follows you ;D

People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
Good report Loumason, glad you enjoyed Kalkan!
Nicky

Offline amberpop

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
Thanks for that, really enjoyed reading your report especially as we are going in just over 2 weeks for the first time.

Anne

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »
Sounds like you had a fab time loumason. Thanks for taking the time to share your memories.  :)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
Great enjoyable report, thanks, made me even more excited [if possible]  about flying out on Monday again. Glad to hear you're going back again next year, just goes to show it must be good there if it even pleases the young uns and having brought up four teenagers that's no mean feat LOL! Clara.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Have a fab holiday Clara!! 2 weeks on Mon for us, Fethiye this time for a week.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
Have a great time, don't forget to post a holiday report when you get back, I'd be very interested what you thought of Fethiye. Always meant to go there for the day but I understand it can be busy in the centre and I think my OH's a bit loathe to drive in heavy traffic out there. Just been trying to decide what to pack, oh decisions, decisions  ???

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »
Thanks Clara! We love Fethiye, we stay in Calis beach which is on the outskirts of Fethiye, we get the water taxi into Fethiye. Calis and Kalkan are like chalk and cheese but we enjoy it for a last week away before winter.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 09:24:04 PM »
We loved Calis Beach until we discovered Kalkan, now we've deserted her for our new love. Calis was our first venture to Turkey, it was where we discovered how friendly the Turkish people are. Loved getting the water taxi over to Fethiye, so much easier than driving in. Some nice shops and the bazaar around the fish market is lovely.
We tried going further north to Akbuk by Bodrum but couldn't believe how different it was which is why we went back down south.
We called in to Calis Beach on our way back to the airport last time and it hadn't changed much. We intend making a day trip to Fethiye when we come back in October, someone has a birthday coming up and I feel another trawl around the jewellers coming on.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »
Hi Pompeyalbie, we haven't been to Calis for a couple of years so was wondering if it had changed at all. Like you Kalkan is now our new love and the two resorts are worlds apart aren't they but it's still a good base for a weeks holiday. We also love getting the water taxi into Fethiye in  fact i think we'll spend most evenings there. We came across a fabulous Turkish restaurant last time we went called Mozaic bache so i think we'll be eating there quite a bit!!
Good luck with the shopping, there are some lovely shops in the old town aren't there!! :) :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
holiday Report 2 weeks with 10 and 11 year old in Villa

Started by jstjdsunshine on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 09:43:00 PM
by Chucky
xx
It's sorted! Holiday extended to 3 weeks!

Started by Haybo on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post May 09, 2015, 06:59:30 AM
by Haybo
xx
May holiday report

Started by KalkanWilkie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 11:33:12 PM
by Skunk
xx
Holiday report

Started by cleworthallray on Holiday Reports and Reviews

11 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 10:01:12 AM
by cleworthallray

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal