Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fridge freezers  (Read 2022 times)

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Fridge freezers
« on: January 14, 2008, 09:38:24 AM »
Hello.

Do you leave your fridge freezers switched on while you''re not in Kalkan?  Or is this not possible because of power cuts/dips?

Thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1004.0
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
Re: Fridge freezers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:03:55 AM »
We switch ours off and give anything in it to friends or the people who do our end of stay big clean.

Ros

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
We tend to leave ours on (on lowest setting) coz there is usually somebody out there within a month or 2 and we let our turkish friends who look after it stay there from time to time too - nothing like personal security guards too.  I think, if I was not going to be there for 3,4 5 months at a time -I would definitely turn it off but a month or 2 with people going in and out - then not worth it...  Also - it seems that the more you turn things on and off the more likely they seem to pack up - whereas if you leave something on - invariably it just keeps on going and going and going.....
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Christine Kalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »
you are probably better switching it off and making sure that the door is wedged open. I certainly wouldn''t trust leaving frozen foods in a freezer for any length of time here as the electricity is very occasionally off for considerable periods of time or there is a low voltage problem which can mean that your fridge is not working properly. hence the reason why more and more people are having regulators installed.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:44:52 PM »
Hi Christine, welcome to the Forum. It is always good to have a Kalkan resident who can give us an insight to the Turkish way of life. I see you have already helped and given some good advice already. Keep up the good work.
Joan  :)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 07:07:39 AM »
Before we moved to Kalkan permanently, we would be there every month and so thought it would be okay to leave the fridge/freezer on.
Our house was looked after but power cuts were beyond anyone''s control.

On one occasion we returned to the most overwhelming, awful smell.  During a particularly regular period of long power cuts, a frozen chicken in the freezer had defrosted , started to go off and then been frozen again.  Despite using every known product to clean the freezer, the smell had permeated the plastic to such an extent that it could never be used again and had to be disposed of. It was a costly lesson.  Never leave a fridge freezer turned on if you are away, the risk of bacteria forming everywhere in the fridge, unseen and usually undetectable is far too high. On Monday, the electricity was on and off all day. Every time the power goes off for longer than an hour, the temperature in the fridge falls, bacteria forms even if you have no food in the fridge. When the fridge is then used again, the bacteria inside immediately contaminates any food which you put in it, hence why there are so many upset stomachs amongst new arrivals, it''s not unsafe drinking water but contaminated fridges.

To keep the fridge and freezer bacteria free, turn it off, leave all doors open and leave nothing in it, not even in sealed containers.

Lantana

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WANTED - FRIDGE

Started by Charlie on Classifieds - Wanted

0 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 10:07:21 PM
by Charlie
xx
Fridge & Freezer for sale

Started by kevincat99 on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 12:40:27 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Bosch Fridge/Freezer for sale

Started by amber on Classifieds - Available

2 Replies
Last post November 25, 2011, 05:55:15 AM
by amber
xx
Looking for washing machine,fridge,sofa and TV

Started by Harleysuzen on Classifieds - Wanted

0 Replies
Last post January 20, 2014, 10:52:24 AM
by Harleysuzen

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal