Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Early thoughts  (Read 2128 times)

Offline GK1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Early thoughts
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »
Just starting day 5 of a fortnights family holiday staying at the Samira Deluxe and these are our thoughts so far.

Weather

I've lost count of the number of people who warned me about Turkey being too hot in August. Ok it is hot, but its certainly not a spoiler, we just use high factor sunscreen, keep in the shade during the worst of the midday heat and keep cool in the pool. Last year we spent 2 weeks wet and cold in France, guess which we prefer ;D

Samira Deluxe

Just before we came out there was a horrendous review on this hotel, didn't panic though, after all this is just one persons view and was contrary to most of what I've already read on here and Trip adviser. We've experienced no problems with noise keeping us awake, though we're rarely in bed before midnight and our apartment is not overlooking the pool bar. I've seen them play bingo once, I chose not to join in and it was over and done with in no time, certainly in my view not a problem if we'd stayed later in the town we would have missed this completely. The bar staff are lively but it's a long way from 18-30's tack.

Overall it's great value, the location is a little inconvenient as its a steep climb back up from the town, but then again taxis are reasonable so overall it's still cheaper than staying in the town, cooler too as there's a nice breeze blowing further up the hill. The pool area is good, plenty of comfy sunbeds & umbrellas, we've never had a problem getting them even when we've risen quite late. Also love the shaded platform at the end of the pool, great for chilling out on the cushions and reading a book during the midday heat.

The bar food is good and for a pool bar is very reasonably priced. I tend to put all the food and drinks on the room bill, I keep a detailed log of what we have had due to previous warnings about vague bills and concerns of things being added. I aim to clear this every 3 to 4 days and the first bill certainly seemed about right to me.

Overall if you want a good family holiday you'll struggle to find something else this reasonable, if you're expectations are right you won't be disappointed, the majority of the reviews paint a good picture of the pro's and con's. 

Restaurants

Tried 3 so far, all excellent food and good value, order of preference so far 1. Agora, 2. Atlantis (great cakes, patisserie underneath), 3. Doy Doy

Supermarkets

Yali Supermarket, good range, reasonable prices.

Lucky Supermarket, bought diving masks for the girls, these were useless, as soon as they get wet the straps slip out of the housing. Took them back with the receipt, as new and boxed in their original undamaged packaging but the shop assistant and owner refused point blank to give a refund. At first they only offered an exchange but when I explained that the design was flawed he told me it was my own problem for buying a cheap mask. Eventually he agreed to me exchanging for other items but he wouldn't relent on a refund. Buyer beware!!!

Turkish baths, went for the £35(GB) foam massage deal, excellent, very relaxing

Shopping

We love walking round the shops through the cobbled streets of old Kalkan after our evening meal, lovely atmosphere, very picturesque. With clothing, handbags, jewellery and trinket shops the girls are in their element. Much of the 'genuine fake' (as one sign advertised, LOL!) gear looks good quality and reasonably priced. Anyone worried about the stray dogs, in our view you don't need to be, they are harmless and most just seem to want some quiet corner to lay down in.

That's about it so far, booked for the Yildiz2 evening boat trip next week, looking forward to that and aiming to try one of the beach clubs, probably the Kalamar...

That's about it so far, so good, having a great time :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10038.0

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Early thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
Hi GK1, thanks for posting such a good account of your hols so far - sounds like you're having a great time there. Re the Samira, it wasn't the hotel that you're staying in that had the rowdy reviews, it was the Samira in town. (there are actually 3 Samiras altogether) It sounds like you were staying in the Samira de Luxe which is the one up the hill, a taxi ride away in Kiziltas. Glad that one is proving a good choice for you.
Thanks again and look forward to your next report!!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Early thoughts
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »
Good report Gk1, keep them coming!!
Nicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Last minute thoughts

Started by stigred on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 01:04:19 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Thoughts on Images Watches???

Started by Bexscho on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

11 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 03:07:52 PM
by sturdysteve
xx
Abroad Thoughts from Home (sorry Mr Bryson)

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

14 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 09:24:55 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
any thoughts on holidaylettings new booking manager system

Started by hobbo on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 10:49:14 AM
by MartynE

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal