Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 21 in 21  (Read 2272 times)

Offline davenottm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
21 in 21
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
We have just enjoyed our second visit to Kalkan and this time we set ourselves the challenge of eating (or getting food from) twenty one different places in twenty one nights. So here is our list with (very) brief comments about each. I should say from the outset that we did not have one "bad" meal all holiday and in addition to these twenty one evening dinners we also had lovely lunches at Ali Baba's (the one up the road from the taxi rank), Fener's and Omar's Kitchen.

In the order that we ate:
1. Samira Deluxe Hotel - near to our villa so great for arrival night dinner, and we had great fun there last year. Good food and great banter with the staff who remembered us from last year (especially our honorary son-in-law Yusuf!)
2. Nar - great food and a lovely terrace
3. Gourmet - great food and stunning presentation
4. Foto's Pizza - pizza delivery after a day on a boat trip
5. Belgin's Kitchen - you can either sit at tables on the terrace or on the floor in Ottoman tradition. Great traditional Turkish food, good atmosphere and reasonable prices
6. Ramis - food was very good but service was very slow, although we didn't get there until 9:30 so that may have contributed to the slow service
7. Gironda - excellent food and waiters good fun - a lot of banter. Nice to have cocktails downstairs before eating
8. Kosk - lovely food - definitely recommended
9. Baharat - excellent food and good prices
10. Chapter One - good food and friendly service but the menu was not as exciting as other restaurants. Probably our least favourite
11. Ozalp - excellent food again, very friendly and one of our favourites
12. Saffron - slow service but the stuffed sea bass was very good
13. The Old Trading House - last year this was one of our favourites, but this year the food was only average, not one of our favourites this year
14. Salt 'n' Pepper - Lovely food, meze starter was excellent
15. Kalamaki - excellent food and presentation, highly recommended. Steamed mussels, steak plank and cherry dipper all to die for!
16. Trio - very friendly staff, lovely atmosphere and and fantastic food. Lovely bar for cocktails afterwards
17. Doy Doy - great food and lovely views of the harbour
18. Korsan Meze - Got to be a favourite. Lovely atmosphere, great service and the food was outstanding. The meze starter and the paella were superb
19. Sade - excellent food and lovely atmosphere. Small terrace so it is best to book in advance even if there are only four of you.
20. The Olive Garden - excellent food and very reasonably priced. Very popular so always worth booking in advance.
21. Moussaka - great food, lovely setting and very friendly waiters.

Hope that helps any Kalkan newbies or anyone thinking about trying any of the above. We even thought about trying to pick an overall favourite, but the four of us chose four different favourites!

Happy eating!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10022.0

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
Re: 21 in 21
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »
Wow! That's dedication! Now all you need is a five month holiday and you'll get to eat at the rest ;D
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
Great. How much weight did you put on? It would have been great fr newcomers to have a price band for each.

We visit 3 times a year and try to eat at 3 new places each visit.

Offline davenottm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »
Great. How much weight did you put on? It would have been great fr newcomers to have a price band for each.

We visit 3 times a year and try to eat at 3 new places each visit.

Being a gentleman of generous proportions  ;D who has a very sedentary lifestyle and job, I actually lost four pounds in three weeks  ??? - we tended to have light lunches and drank little alcohol during the day. Also having two kids who loved racing me in the pool meant I probably more got more exercise in three weeks that I do in the rest of the year.

With regard to prices, we would sometimes have cocktails before or after, or not at all and the number of bottles of wine and desserts tended to vary (we are 50, 47, 20 and 17). All that makes it difficult to compare prices. However, our benchmark for four starters, four mains, a couple of desserts and a bottle of house wine was TL280 excluding tip, so anything below that we considered a reasonable cost. On the same basis, though, I don't think that we spent more than TL330 anywhere. Having said that, value for money is more important for us, so we would rather spend TL330 on a great meal than, say, TL250 on an average meal.

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »
Great CV !!!!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
I agree with you. It's value for money that's important and I'm glad the physical stuff helped you loose weight. The Turkish bread is my downfall as I love it and can't resist it when it is put on the table with the starters.

Friends (2 adults and an 8 year old, not massive/coctail drinkers) visited our apartment about 16 months ago and their comment was that there was a difference in price between the very cheapest places to eat and the most expensive (some of it being related to the price of wine and beer) but that the majority of the bills for their meals only had about a £7 difference, irrespective of their impression that it was a 'top price' restaurant or a 'medium price' place. That would agree with your experience of a 50 lira difference for 4 adults.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Antalya

Views: 3479
By: blondie
Rooftops