Author Topic: where shall i go for my 1st night in kalkan?  (Read 7187 times)

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
can anyone tell me what i should do / go on my 1st night in Kalkan? Thought would be interesting to ask what to do on your 1st night there (when not been before)  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10761.0
Michelle x

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: where shall i go for my 1st night in kalkan?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »
What kind of activity are you into, age group etc?
Owner, holidaymaker and Kalkan lover

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »
hi we are a married couple (just the 2 of us) love food & relaxing drinking. we are 42/43 but would say young for our age, thanks . love anything traditional too
x

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
Hi Michelle,

On our first night,we go to a lovely little pizza place,called foto pizza.Run by a local family,the food is fantastic and reasonably priced,and lovely views from upstairs as well.Great as a first night meal.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »
1st night, I'd head to the harbour. A couple of drinks in Kleo then a meal at maybe Mousakka.

But there's loads of choices.... If you're staying at the top end of town and arriving late, Cafe Ev is great to relax & eat....

PW
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:43:19 AM by peterwilka »
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »
Hi Michelle

The thing I always advocate is that when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I'm sure everyone on this forum will agree when I say that Kalkan is a little bit of heaven and still retains much of its true Turkish charm. It hasn't yet been spoilt by the British although 99% tourists who go there are from here and it has no McDonalds, Pizza Huts, KFCs or BKs. If you love perusing the shops and dining, you will be spoilt for choice here. I would suggest walking up and down the many cobbled pedestrian lanes to get a feel for the place and then, as others have suggested, a lovely drink in one of the many bars on the harbour side. As for restaurants, again you'll be spoilt for choice and if you are into your food, although the harbour restaurants are all lovely, their prices are higher because of the premium view. Doy Doy is a favourite among many, myself included although I would suggest you look at Tripadvisor reviews and make up your own mind. Remember, you will be stopped (pleasantly) by every restaurant as you walk trying to get you in so do not succumb, merely say a polite thank you, we've eaten already and make your own choice. If you like really rustic Turkish cafe style food without any airs and graces, you might like to try either Ali Babas Lokanta or Hunkar Ocakbasi both at the top of the town (near the Samira Aapartments roundabout). The food is cheap, amazing but the surroundings are very basic Turkish. As for drink, if your partner likes beer, Efes is the drink to go of. It's lovely. if you like wine, a cold glass of rosé Lal is the local tipple.  Don't drink spirits although everything is available here. After your meal, try a relaxing seat and a coffee at Cafe Del Mar and, if you've room, some lovely home made cake. They also sell cheap shisha pipe which is amazing.

Many of us on this forum have been numerous times and I am so excited for you being your first. it is truly beautiful and still very much Turkish, nothing like rowdier resorts. may you both enjoy your first experience. Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask and either myself or another forum member will be delighted to assist. Enjoy!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
Definately a wander down through the old town to the harbour area, perhaps stopping for a drink on the way followed by dinner at one of the restaurants down by the harbour or on the level above it with lovely views then down to the harbour for a drink and to people watch.

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »
thanks everyone, iv noted all those as they all sound fab. the ali babas & hunkar ocakbasi sound exactly my type of thing too. We both love efes too & have it here when we go to the turkish restaurant in newcastle (we have a lovely turkish restaurant called red mezze in newcastle if anyone ever visits)  :)  i dont usually drink rose wine im more a white wine person, but if its not too sweet i might try it.
oooh cant wait now & i think im spoilt for choice on my 1st night. kalkan does sound a fab place. we were in icmeler last time we were in turkey so iv a feeling im going to like it a lot more than there from all these reviews.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »
I'm a white wine drinker too and usually go for Cankaya if it's around.  Quite dry - sort of Sauvignon going on  Chardonnay.  We always go to the Moonlight Bar near the post office our first night.  Great for people watching as everyone has to pass it to get to the main bit of town.  A bit lower down there are a couple of music bars if that's your thing.  Lots of good bars and restaurants along the harbour but for a first night it may be a bit of a waste if you are tired as prices are tops.  Maybe second night!!? A stroll around the town to get a feel for the shops, bars and atmosphere would be good though.  Whatever you do the Turkish people are so friendly and warm you are bound to have a great time.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
Have a walk around the old town and end up down in the harbour.
Take in the atmosphere and note the restaurants you pass for later.
A beer or 3 should be mandatory

;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
We too go for a wander, usually stop for a bite to eat and a cold Efes in Cafe Merkez where you literally eat on the pavement, good value tasty food. Then we wander back up the hill and pop in the Moonlight Bar sit on the slope and people watch. Always a great atmosphere there. As has been mentioned Cafe Ev is a good place for a relaxing evening and the owner and his staff are really friendly and you can guarantee leaving there with a great big smile on your face. Wherever you end up I'm sure you'll have a happy experience and a warm Turkish welcome .

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
Spent our first evening over 16 years ago at The Merkez and continue to round off every night with a nightcap and some people watching there :-)

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »
thanks everyone, iv noted all those as they all sound fab. the ali babas & hunkar ocakbasi sound exactly my type of thing too. We both love efes too & have it here when we go to the turkish restaurant in newcastle (we have a lovely turkish restaurant called red mezze in newcastle if anyone ever visits)  :)  i dont usually drink rose wine im more a white wine person, but if its not too sweet i might try it.
oooh cant wait now & i think im spoilt for choice on my 1st night. kalkan does sound a fab place. we were in icmeler last time we were in turkey so iv a feeling im going to like it a lot more than there from all these reviews.

We also sometimes go to Red Mezze in Newcastle and enjoy it very much. We are in Kalkan for the sixth time in May and can't imagine going anywhere else. The food in Hunkar is first class but also give Chillies a go for good Turkish food with a friendly atmosphere. Both are very reasonably priced.
Be warned though, once you've been to Kalkan you will be back again and again.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
Our first night ritual remains the same - Merkez for drinks and food. Went there on our first night years ago and have gone there ever since....its difficult to pass Moonlight as the lads can spot my BH from miles away and are already down at the front to welcome us "home" and usher us to our favourite people watching seats ;D
We will, of course, end up there later for a nightcap or two... ;)
Wherever you end up, I hope you have a wonderful first evening.. ..something tells me you will :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »
oooh you are all getting me very excited now   ;D   they all sound fab, it does really sound like a fab place. how do i find merkez as it sounds good too. im going to have to take a big note book with all these fab places to try ha ha. thanks again everyone, all info in appreciated. roll on the end of may x

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
If you just walk down from the start of the pedestrianised area at the top of the old town you will go past the Moonlight bar on your left, keep going straight ahead and you will come to Merkez Cafe on the left. It's at street level and you can't miss it.

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 10:30:25 PM »
If you check on my villa website see below and go to location you will find a virtual tour that contains 360 images from merkez and moonlight, top right corner of the screen click on map and you will get an interactive google map.. Both are great places, been people watching from merkez since 1992....

I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 05:33:59 AM »
Lots more Hunkar kebab type places opening in town this year! Everyone will be spoilt for choice.

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 06:42:56 AM »
Michelle, you can tell exactly when you get to Merkez. All the tablecloths are lilac and it is opposite BSG handbags.

Amber, where and when? I have heard rumours but nothing concrete. Would be very interested to know of new Hunkar-type restaurants. They'd have to be pretty damned good to compete!

Baz

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:14 AM »
how do i find merkez
Go to the KTLN Kalkan Business Map page (http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/kalkan-area-map).
Make sure you have created a free account and are logged in.
Open up the 'Food & Drink' category.
Click on Merkez Cafe - Simples!
B

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Barbeque night at The Regency Hotel or Turkish Night at the Likya hotel

Started by Slj60 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 10:52:27 AM
by tonik1945
xx
Last night in Kalkan

Started by onelove on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 05:18:00 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
recycled
First Night in Kalkan

Started by malc901 on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 05:53:35 PM
by MartynE
xx
Kalkan Beach Cafe - Fire and explosion last night!

Started by amber on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 07:44:43 AM
by DRBD

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Dalyan

Views: 3212
By: Ramtastic
In the Med