Author Topic: Recommended Restaurants  (Read 48387 times)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Recommended Restaurants
« on: June 08, 2007, 11:15:07 PM »
We have been coming to kalkan on holiday for about 5-6 years and bought a villa 3 years ago. To help with costs we try to let it out when we are not there and one of the questions we are often asked is what restaurants do we recommend. We did try saying most are pretty good just explore yourselves, but after being repeatedly pressed for advice now leave a short page in the information pack with our recommendations.

I would be interested in what others think about our choice, last updated in Aug 2006. Are the any gems we should add or have we just got it all wrong.

Regards

Alan

===============================================

Restaurants

There are 100+ restaurants in Kalkan we have probably tried less than a quarter of them but here are a few of our favourites.

Cheap and cheerful – around £5.00 per head

Ali Babas, Belgins Kitchen – on the main road into the town centre. Genuine and excellent Turkish food at low prices.

The Tile Restaurant – sorry I don’t know it’s name.  It’s located on the (hill) road next to the Servil supermarket on your left. 

Pushing the boat out - £15 per head

Kaya – 0242 844 37 18 – located near to the Kalamar Road roundabout.  In our opinion, of the restaurent we have tried the best in Kalkan.  The restaurant is owned by a magician, who will entertain children and adults at the end of your meal.

Doy Doy Restaurant – Yali Boyu Mah No 5 (Near the harbour steps) – 0242 844 24 41

Korsan Fish Terrace – 0242 844 30 76

Boat trips

For large parties hiring a boat for the day is great value. Just go down to the harbour and you will see a number of boats advertising daily rental. For a party of up to 9 you can hire a large boat with crew and a good lunch for £90, for a full day and including a really good lunch. 

======================================== 

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=164.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
Re: Recommended Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:37:32 PM »
Well the trouble is - is that these postings are VERY personal and what one person likes - another one doesn't....however - the favs that I put in my guest's details are:

IBO - and FABBO toilets
Kosk - great ambience
Olive Garden
Meldi Hotel - fantastic steaks
All the above 4 - I would put in your middling bracket of expense
Aubergine - expensive though

New ones to try (from this forum and the TA forum) = Trio - Ilyada - Turguaz - Marsala Zone (Indian)

I'm sure there are more - but those are the ones that spring to mind..!!!

Tile restaurant - not sure about that one - is that one still around..?? ???

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Debbie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:50:36 AM »
hi Alan,
we have an apartment in Kalkan as well and are always being asked about restaurants - I suppose the problem with a recommended restaurant list is that at the start of every season there is always a lot of change - new restaurants opening and others closing. I was in Kalkan in May and was really impressed with Trio - a new restaurant near Yacht Point. Price wise similar to Doy Doy and Korsan. There is a bar there as well so nice just for sundowners. Hope this helps. Also if your guests are craving great home made cakes  tell them to check out Tomato near the post office. Cheers Debbie :)

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »
Totally agree with the above post! We've just come back from a lovely sunny week in kalkan and also had a meal at the new restaurant 'Trio' on the harbour. Very nice atmosphere, friendly yet professional service and a very delicious meal. We didn't find it expensive compared with some of the other restaurants on the front. The staff can't do enough for you, take the time to chat and make a lovely fuss of the children (ask for a carnation or rose if they're not busy!) and other people from our villa booked to eat there and had lovely evenings too. The bar is also a nice place for a pre- or post-dinner drink. Highly recommended for adults-only meals too! We also love eating on the rooftops (although sitting on top of 'Coast' was a bit chilly last week still!) and Gironda and DoyDoy are also personal favourites. Can't beat the trout farms or meals out at lunchtime in Saklikent for genuine Turkish food. And we liked stepping off Kaputas beach onto the terrace at Adam's for a lovely lunchtime treat too. Happy days! Isn't it great to be home?! :(

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:08:15 PM »
Oh i am missing being there!  We go out on Friday and plan to try lots of new restaurants as well as our 'regulars'.  This will be our 12th year and though we have seen many changes, I can honestly say that we still enjoy all that Kalkan has to offer.  We have seen restaurants come and go, owners change hands, waiters that swing with the wind!  .....yet, we have found that there is no anamosity amongst the owners when you stop by...tell them you are trying something new...and move on.  I have yet to have a restaurant be negative about it's neighbour or competitor.  It is a rare thing.  So....I am plotting our route....I plan to have at least 3 romantic dinners on our roof terace.  I have the table cloths, napkins, candles, recipes, music and the required magic view.  I am watching the rain spill down out of our window tonight.....and can only dream of the cold iced coffee at the Kalamar beach club, after a cool swim and a frantic paddle in the canoes.......that is Kalkan.......

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Just so envy you being at Kalamar Beach Club  - one of my favourite places.  Have to wait until September - but the sea will be gorgeous - I LOVE  :-* swimming in warm, deep water!

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »
I think the 'Tile' restaurant you mention is the Oz Adana, the pide restaurant. This changed hands the week we arrived and although the food is the same(hubby reckons it's even better) the staff understand very little english. So be prepared.
Next door to this is a new fish restaurant, Extinct. If you like fish, well worthwhile a visit. A lovely plate of Mezes for 2, a bargain at 4YTL and that included home made fish cakes. Sea bass was only 10.5YTL almost half the price of the restaurants by the harbour. The fish is lovely and fresh and kept on ice in a glass cabinet so you can see what you'd be getting.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 09:22:03 PM »
Thanks for the information, we will be giving the Seabass a try as soon as we arrive (next Saturday). 

Regards

Alan   

Offline chris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 09:48:12 AM »
HI ALL
Just back from kalkan . wanted to let you know place  i always have fantastic food is
Zekis  just be the mosque it is beautifull location right by the mosque is fantastic
also captains table overlooking the sea is great to also fab location
chris

Offline ReturnTrip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 09:48:26 AM »
My favs are:

Ibo's Terrace - mid price range, but fab food
Masala Zone - Indian, new and again, food was fantastic. Its bring your own wine, so you can get it very cheap in the supermarket which makes the meal work out very cheap.
Ibo's Yacht Club for lunch
The local soup kitchen along by the post office is great for really cheap, good food.
Merkez Cafe - great for snacks/light meals
Utopia make the best iced coffee's - always stop there for one early evenings
A trip to any of the Fish Farms is a must

So many to choose from.......

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 08:12:28 PM »
Ooooohhhh...so many new places to choose from this year!!
Our favourite for lunch has to be Kalamar beach club, specially as you only have to drag yourself up a flight of steps after swimming and sunning yourself!
Their fresh orange and fresh lemonade drinks are to die for!!

We tried the Lykian Terrace and had a fantastic meal there...all very lovely meals and attentive staff.
We also went to Istanbul on the road up from Moonlight bar...very good food, all freshly prepared so be prepared to wait, but its definately worth it!
We went to Coast and Olive Garden again, both as excellent as years gone by.
On the very hot evenings (we were there between 18th June and 2nd July when temps reached up to 45degrees with an african wind!) we sheltered indoors with the aircon on for a romantic evening of fresh bread, cheese, salad and a bag of Ruffles...boy do we like to spoil ourselves!!

Offline dionisimo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 08:46:44 AM »
Would just like to add my bit about restaurants.

Coast  aways as fantastic food, a lovely atmosphere and is run by a great bunch of guys, all friendly, entertaining but never pushy!

Ibo's is as good as ever and their calamari is still the best anywhere in Kalkan

Captains (above the beach) is a must lovely setting and great food - you have to run the gauntlet of Sunset and Korsan kebabs over zealous waiters to get there but its well worth it.

And last but not least, do any of you remember Tailor Restaurant which used to e situated in the little street where Coast is now but closed down 3 tears ago, well great news folks it has opened up again with a roof terrace just opposite coast and is now called MAYA. Although the setting is posher than the old Tailor restaurant the food is the same superb home cooking, The menu is small but changes everyday.
Definitely well worth a visit.
 So happy eating to you all.......

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Re: Recommended Restaurants (Extınct)
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 12:17:36 PM »
We trıed Extınct on Lıttlelın's recommendatıon last nıght. All of us thought the food was wonderful (soup. fısh cakes. sea bass. fısh casserole. salads and meze). Defınıtely the best fısh meal we have ever had ın Kalkan and great value at around half the prıce of the town centre restaurants.

The best bıt ıs we found ıt on the fırst day of our holıday.

Offline jen

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
Could you add some directions on how to find the fish restaurant, Extinct please.  I'd love to try it out, but am not sure where it is from Littleins directions. ???

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 02:04:01 PM »
It is just up the street at the side of the Sevil supermarket, second restaurant up. The first one offers good value too.

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 05:26:15 PM »
For a different experience with a local family try Paparazzi - Feliz, Zeki and their father will ensure you are treated like royalty.  They are located just off the last street leading down to the harbour and look out for Feliz, one of the few women who work front-of-house.  And don't forget to ask father to dance when he's finished cooking!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 08:21:27 PM »
Did they use to have a restaurant down the same street but on the other side?

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 09:28:08 PM »
joanH - I'm sorry I don't know if they used to be somewhere else but they're in the same place as last year. 

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 03:45:47 PM »
Jon,
here comes another!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 04:18:53 PM »
Ill leave that there for now as it not the only post.... my eyes have spotted though  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal