Author Topic: Views From Over the Bay  (Read 22092 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Views From Over the Bay
« on: May 09, 2015, 03:23:12 PM »
So our new adventure of staying across the bay at Kisla begins. A pretty straight forward flight from Gatwick which took off late but managed to arrive early thanks to some winds. Coming in to land you could see snow on top of some of the mountains first time I'd noticed that. We tried a different car hire firm, Dalaman Car Rentals who were there waiting with good service and a Citreon for £112 for the week. A work of advice for anyone driving the road is up from the boundary of Dalaman to the Gocek Tunnel, 1 lane of rutted off road surfaces & lots of dodgy overtaking.
We got to Kisla at 4 as I'd predicted but never having been here before I couldn't remember the name of the road I'd plotted on Google Earth from the directions we'd been given. After driving up nearly every road we eventually found it down an unmade road which had several building works going on in it. The apartment is really nice with a fantastic view across the bay. Spoke to our "new neighbour" Phil who lives our here who gave us the low down. I was tempted to have a dip in the pool which felt quite warm considering the time of year but we were getting hungry having not eaten since 6 in the morning. There does seem to be a lot of building work still going on considering it usual stops before the season starts but Phil did say that they'd had a hard winter & it the building time had been extended a bit.
Showered and freshened up we set off to town hoping that I could find my way back. Parked up by the school by the roundabout with all those white & blue kerb stones which looks quite pretty and made our way in. The was the relocated Seaport & Moussaka with customers already, our first stop was to see Ozay at Missilver to drop off his duty frees & have a chat while Janet looks at his latest designs & my wallet hides deeper in my pocket. We'd already decided that our first meal was going to be at the place we'd had our very first meal on our very first visit, Sade. Once again it was like beIng welcomed by old friends, how do the do that having seen so many people over the year? I had my traditional first night starter of calamari followed by Chicken Hermes washed down with a nice vintage Efes, Janet opted for Seabass stuffed with Prawns and a Marguerita as opposed to her usual G&T. We had a table on the balcony so could watch the world go by & it seems there are a few around as well. To finish we had our favourite dessert in Kalkan, deep fried ice cream, a ball of ice cream coated inline  batter & fried covered in a caramel syrup it is fabulous I can recommend it . Our bill, with a tip came to 178TL about £43 pounds so still cheaper that eating the equivalent at home.
Managed to find our way back in the dark and had a quick sit on the roof terrace looking at the stars & using an app spotted Mars, Venus, Jupiter & Mercury all shining brightly in the clear night.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12731.0

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: Views From Over the Bay
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 05:11:20 PM »
Hurrah!  Another blog to read - thanks so much for posting.  Such a treat to read to help me get ready for our visit - two weeks today we'll be on our way. 

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »
Thank You, Pompey!  I am enjoying your holiday.  Keep going  - please!

And enjoy every minute,

Antler

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »
Lovely......I do love a holiday blog!  :laugh: keep it up please! Less than to weeks for us then I promise to take up the challenge!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
HWoke up after a good nights slept to lovely blue skies and just a light wind. We had our first visitor, a ginger cat would seemed to like Dreamies & a saucer of milk but wasn't brave enough to come close for a stroke. After breakfast we made our way into town to see what changes had been made,both forced & unforced. The area by Fener was having a membrane put down so not sure what that was for but it's sad to see. A number of new names down there or just renames, Gusto? We went in search for Fez as I heard good reports so thought that would be a new try out for us. There's a new place opened opposite Escudo next to Kalamaki as well. Janet just happened to notice a new jewellers called Melissa's on the street to her favourite dress shop & Agora has been renamed too. Stopped off at Merkez for a Jedi Juice & free wifi then made our way back to the car via Yildiz boat to book up for Wednesday. Missilver down at the harbour has moved across to a new shop under the hotel so stopped for an apple tea & a chat with Tumay.
Off we went in search of adventure up into the mountains, I was determined to have a trout lunch at Islamlar. They are filling in a lot of the pot holes with tar, or should I say putting tar in the holes, a case of dump it off the truck, rake it over & on to the next one. Problem is with the traffic it just gets spread everywhere. We found Bodamya Tepe but there was nowhere to park so moved on to the Village Cafe Restaurant and eat there. What a nice meal and stunning view to eat it from, we both had trout and a side order of Village Salad & a plate of chips washed down with a juice & an Efes, there was a free bread, rocket & olives plus a cup of Turkish coffee all for 50TL, amazing value we'll go again & try to get into Bodamya Tepe next time. Making our way back we called in to see Adam & make a reservation for Sunday night, his family are all growing up so quickly.
Spent the afternoon by the pool & I had my first dip which was quite warm, when the sun moved round so did we to a spot on the roof terrace watching the little ferries going backwards & forwards. I had a date with the barber tonight for a haircut & a shave plus all the added extras. Poor Janet sat outside waiting for me, I was in there over an hour, the young lad in there did a thorough job with the scissors, it certainly needed cutting, the shaggy dog look has gone for a sleek suave look. Felt embarrassed that it only came to 30TL so added a sizeable tip for a good job.
Dinner, eventually, was at Fez, sat up on the roof terrace with a nice view over the harbour with its twinkling lights. We weren't overly hungry  after the trout lunch so just had a main & sweet, I went for Drunken fish, which was seabass with red & green peppers, onions & cooked in foil in aniseed, not Raki as it is too much so the chef told me, it was quite nice very tasty followed by home made Turkish delight cheesecake. Janet opted for Chicken with Apricots followed by creme brûlée. We both agreed it was nice but not in the great standards of some of the others we've eaten at. On the way back we bumped into the man who worked at Fener for a couple of years and has now moved to manage Lipsos he seems happy there. Ilyada seems to have been replaced or renamed Rosemary's.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 08:34:47 AM »
Great report, thanks pompeyalbie.  I'm keen to get up into the mountains this year too. 
Keep the reports coming.....82 days to go.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
Just looked at KTLN and they are putting up the canopies at Aubergine...it must be warming up!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »
It certainly is, looking at the forecasts! Pompeyalbie, are there any signs of the beach coming to life.....sun beds, shades etc. And are the beach clubs open yet, contacted Palm beach to ask when but no reply! Hope you have another lovely day  :laugh:

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
Yali Beach club is open.  Spent a few days there last week and it was fab.  Great food, comfy beds and very welcoming staff.  Hakan, who has managed Doy Doy for the past few years is running it this year. And a great job he's doing!  They are also offering an evening menu this year.  Wonderful setting, right at the water's edge. I wish them a very successful season.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
Fab reports Pompeyalbie, please keep them coming.  Glad you managed to go up to Islamlar, fab isn't it up there?  :D

J

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:27:42 AM »
Not a good start to the day, Janet not feeling very well, another stealth garlic attack from her meal last night,she did say the coating on the chips tasted like it may have had the dreaded substance so left them.
The sun is out so I sat alone on the balcony reading, a visitation from a local cat for breakfast my only companion, still won't come close despite being fed & milked. We had a power cut this morning, whether enforced or caused by workmen on the building sites behind I don't know. I see Health & Safety rules on the sites, no hard hats or anything.
It was pretty obvious we weren't going to get to Adams for dinner so once Janet had got up I nipped over to see him and cancel tonight and rearrange for Monday. Typical that he his he picked me some fresh mint & a couple of lemons with instructions to crush the mint in boiling water and add the lemon juice for her. It was Mothers Day so he picked a nice red rose from his garden for her as well. The clouds were starting to form up on the mountains and we had a few rumbles of thunder but the rain kept away and the sun stayed out. Spend the afternoon lazing by the pool and getting a start on my tan. I had a nice swim as the water was a decent temperature.
Adams remedy must have worked as we decided to go into town for a light dinner, I was starving having only had 2 sandwiches we brought at Gatwick all day, and was a bit stir crazy so needed to get out. Not up for a full meal we went to Fener where we knew they did snacks, it was deserted and didn't look right without its umbrellas etc, anyway I had the Beef Casserole while Janet played safe with a cheese omelette, mine was really tasty so a cheap date tonight. We were home again by just after 9 local time so like boring old people we sat and watched the BAFTAs on my iPad.
The sun is out this morning and I fancy a trip over to Tlos, not been there since our very first trip to Calis Beach and went on an excursion to Tlos & Sakklikent .

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »
Poor Janet, falling foul to the evil garlic.......you need to sniff all her meals before she eats them!  :angel: Glad Adem's remedy did the trick.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
Hope Janet is a lot better and you managed your trip to Tlos, I bet it is a lot different today than it was at Easter, we went up there and it was deserted, but still beatiful though.

J

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 06:11:12 PM »
Loving the reports, Pompeyalbie. In 4 short weeks we'll be there for real but for now there's your blog to keep me going.
Hope Janet feels better soon - you should have nipped out to Bob's for some provisions to keep you going.
Hope you enjoy Adam's tonight :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 04:27:40 AM »

Heading west along the D400 you could see the clouds over the mountains and then it started, quite heavy but it didn't take long to drive through it. We went the direct route along the D400 to the lights then turned right and eventually right again. When we got there it looked deserted, Janet did her usual,found a place to sit while I went off on an Indiana Jones explore clambering up rocky paths, ducking through holes. It looks like they've excavated at bit more since our last visit, lots of information boards. We paid a visit to a couple of the roadside stalls and bought a couple of crocheted table things for the grand price of 20TL, there was a nice small mat I was tempted with for the same price but we couldn't think where we'd put it so temptation was avoided. After a free orange juice it was lunchtime so as we we were in the area thought we may as well carry on up to Yakapark for a spot of trout. It was nice but not as good as Islamlar, just as we were leaving there were rumbles of thunder and down it came again. We came back the scenic route via Saklikant with the river running quite swiftly as a few hardy souls on their donuts were enjoying. Driving through the villages was quite nice I kept looking for an old lady in the cafe sat there making her pancakes but they must've been inside out of the rain.
When we got back Kisla looked dry so must have missed any rain, had my afternoon dip and off to Adam's for dinner. I won't bore you with what I had to eat, just go back through previous blogs and it was my usual. We sat and had a long chat with him, his eldest daughter has got engaged to a local man, she is at university up by Ismir studying languages & is looking at working in the travel industry, his middle daughter is at college in Fethiye so that just leaves the youngest at home. We hardly saw his wife as she's not been very well with Angina.
Just before we left an electrical storm started out at sea, just lightening and carried on for hours but we did get a few claps of thunder in the early hours, quite spectacular sat on the balcony watching the flashes light up the dark skies, no ambient light like at home.
 Tuesday just means one thing Fethiye market and I suppose I'll be looking in some jewellers windows as it's our 10th anniversary this year, now where can I hide my credit cards??

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
Love your reports. Time to spoil Janet I think. Thank you for the reports. It's so lovely to enjoy everyone's holiday. Can't wait for ours in July.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »
oh come on Pompeyalbie...what else is your credit card for?
Go Janet....make us proud :angel:

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 08:39:48 PM »
Have loved reading your holiday reports so thank you Pompeyalbie.
 I hope Janet has fully recovered, but to be on the safe side I would definitely recommend buying a tasteful bit of bling!. That will guarantee a speedy recovery and put a smile on her face, even if it does leave a large dent in your wallet!   
Enjoy  :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »
Tradition has it we go to Fethiye market on a Tuesday, weather was fine when we set off, usual scenario of park at Calis & get the water taxi over. The market seemed quite busy as usual, I had orders for 3 bags of Saffron & some curry powder so worked our way through to the wonderful fruit & veg section to buy a few bags. I love the smell & colours absolutely wonderful. Just as we were making our way back to look for some shoes for Janet the heavens opened up and the thunderstorm started. Awnings were filling up with water and overflowing or being tipped to remove the water, stock & customers were being soaked, if only I had a box of brollies & plastic poncho's I'd have made a fortune. I eventually found a nice dry pair of leather shoes to wear to Royal Ascot in April more like pimp shoes that Shaft would've wore in the 80s but I'll be unique. It finally stopped so we escaped back to the harbour for a toasted cheese sandwich at one of the places on the quay. Janet decided she didn't fancy any more shopping as it was still grey overhead (result!!) so we got the boat back, half way across it started again flash,bang, splash. Driving home was weird, we'd drive through pockets of rain then the roads were dry, then it would start again. By the time we got to Patara it was thundering in the mountains and raining so hard you'd couldn't hear the music in the car. We got back to Kalkan & it was rushing down the hill passed Yali towards the roundabout, by the time we got to the 2nd roundabout you'd have thought there had been no rain it was bone dry. Got back to the apartment & luckily the pool man had the forethought to bring in the cushions & towels I left out to dry.
We decided to go to Gourmet tonight, a very nice meal, well presented, resisted a starter, complimentary starter of sushi which was quite unusual but very nice, I needed the Efes to counteract the wasabi paste. For mains I went for Persian Chicken in a walnut & Pomegranate sauce which was really very tasty with those different flavours, Janet went oriental on me & had Chicken in honey & ginger in a bowl of noodles. For dessert I went for a banana split in a pancake will Janet had A Very Berry Mess which as you can guess is based on an Eton Mess. She is fine now after her garlic attack, mind you she suffered another attack tonight caused by Rose Wine & an Elderflower Martini. We stopped off a Melissa Diamonds on the way back to check out a bracelet she liked but baulked at the 4 figure price so went next door to the Pandora shop and treated her to 2 genuine charms, result!!
Wednesday if the weather holds up we are booked on the Yildiz boat.

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »
Thanks for the daily updates, really getting me in the mood for my holiday.  Counting down the hours now, 51½ to go to push back.
Cheers
Jo

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Bay

Views: 4374
By: alisonh
kalkan beach