Author Topic: Total letdown  (Read 12367 times)

Offline steveb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Total letdown
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
Hello everyone,

I found this forum while searching material and information on Kalkan. After many recommendations from my relatives, I decided to plan this summer holiday in Kalkan, Turkey. July came rather fast and the 3 of us (myself, my brother and sister) are now still in Kalkan.

After only 5 days, this is our story:

We were pleasantly surprised with the location, the villa we rented and the city itself. The weather is just perfect, the food is more than delicious but our contact with the locals leave a bitter taste already.

On our second day we had to stock on some supplies and our choice for the "store" was rather poor. We went to a grocery shop nearby and bought only some basic stuff which totaled a whooping 340 TL. At first, it was not surprising as we had no idea about the market in the area. It also didn't help that all products did not show any prices. What made it worse is that the next day we chose to go to another store in town where we bought the same stuff for only 75 TL. We cannot help but feel that we were shamelessly ripped off by the owner.

On the same day we went to a cafe in town and wanted to have a sandwich. When we asked about the price we were told it costs 3 euros even though the big poster inside stated 2 euros. That was no biggie though, stuff like this can happen but the next day when we took a boat trip on the sea we were surprised that we were paying 8 TL for a beer while locals where paying 6.

The biggest letdown has yet to arrive until the 5th day when we had an accident on the main road from Kisla to the city of Kalkan. A Turkish fellow was going backwards at full speed when we were entering the road and he hit us rather hard with no fault of ours whatsoever. The guy admitted his fault and we tried to contact the police since his english was almost non-existing and we speak no turkish whatsoever. At the end of the line someone said: No english and they just hung up the phone. We tried again but the answer was the same.

We then had to stay hours in the sun, in the middle of the road while dozen of turks stopped and had a chit chat with the guilty party. We then tried to contact our car rental company which amazingly had not one person that spoke english even though they provide bookings in english. After some hours we went into kalkan, at the advise of the emergency services, and filled some forms for the situation and were assured by the rental company which by now asked for some english speaking person to talk to us, that we are going to receive another car within the day.

There was no charge involved since we were not at fault and we were even promised to have the car filled with the gas we already paid ourselves in the first one. That was not the case though when the contact person arrived at our villa with the new car. The turkish guy would not speak english but he was insisting that we have to pay 300euros for being guilty for the accident. We could not solve it with him so we had to contact again the company and try to get someone on the line that spoke english and explain the situation. The contract stated both in english and turkish that we would have to pay 300euros if we were guilty but the company felt entitled to ask the money from us even though the guilty person has admitted his faul in the written form they were having.

What we found very disturbing was the attitude of the person that came with the car as he was laughing at us and making fun on us even though he could read in his own language that we have to pay only if we were the guilty party but he refused to leave our property after we said we won't be paying since we were not at fault.
What followed was a nightmare... we had to call again the police which amazingly, did not answer. We were being harassed by someone in our own villa and the police would just hang up the phone. We called the emergency services and even the embassy which advised us to go to a police station. Kalkan doesn't have one so we went to a jandarmerie one instead.

Once there we were lucky to find a kind person that spoke english. He talked to the car rental representative, read the contract and both declarations and said that clearly we should not be asked to pay anything since we were not guilty. After another 3 hours, lots of phone calls to the company and arguments from the military person and the car rental guy reading every line in the contract (in order to find a backdoor) we could come to an agreement. We weren't going to pay the 300euros but the gas we paid ourselves would be lost to the car rental company. Go figure now, we were at least happy that justice has been served and we were not ripped off once again, well except for the gas we paid.

We still have a few more days to stay here but our mood drastically went down. We feel disappointed, cheated and ripped off on so many counts that we will never comeback again here, even though the place is like a paradise on Earth.

Please excuse my English as am not a native speaker but I just felt like sharing this with other people which maybe, can learn something from our experiences.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11309.0

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Total letdown
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:48:04 PM »
Sorry to sound harsh .. But with all the trolls
On this site at the moment .
I can't say I believe this story . In all my
Years visiting Kalkan nothing has ever been
Quoted to me in Euros ! And when ever I have
Seen accidents the police have dealt very swiftly.
The people of Kalkan have never been anything
But welcoming to me & many others.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »
Steve, if this is genuine, I feel dreadfully sorry for you. You've had some bad luck and I hope you manage to enjoy what's left of your holiday.
It does seem strange though that this is your first post. If all this had happened to me, I'm sure that reporting this ad my first post on EK would be the last thing in my mind.
Like pattaya says, with all the trolls we've had on here at the moment, it's difficult to believe what's genuine or not!!!

Offline steveb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:41:32 AM »
Hello again, I am not a troll and every little detail i put down in words is true, unfortunately.

Of course we will try to enjoy the remaining of our days here... It was my first post here because i felt like sharing what happened to us.

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »
If you have to pay, do so by credit card and keep all paperwork. On your return dispute the transaction under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The credit card company is liable to you for any breach of contract using its card for transactions over £100.
Pitkin

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »
I dont buy this story for one second.All local car hire companies in Kalkan have good English speakers.I have never been quoted in Euro's,so why were you steve,eh??? Me thinks a little lack of local knowledge!!......It sounds like you have never been to kalkan......If you had,you would not be calling Kalkan a city !!! It may have grown from the small fishing village it once was into a small town,but city ?

Where ever you are,dont bother coming to Kalkan.

Offline steveb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
If you have to pay, do so by credit card and keep all paperwork. On your return dispute the transaction under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The credit card company is liable to you for any breach of contract using its card for transactions over £100.

Thank you for your kind suggestion but we are from the Netherlands. As far as I know, there is no section 75 for us.

Anyway, we're putting these events behind us and will try to make the most of our holiday. What we do know is that we must be very careful. We learned that much.

@Mayday1 You may of course not "buy" it but what would I gain from making such a story? Yes this is our first visit in Kalkan and I expected to be treated fairly despite being here for the first time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:23:56 AM by steveb »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »
So why all these different user names, and quoting yourself is just ridiculous.
You may just as well log back in as Bazza1970 or create another user, maybe Eric Pickles or something?  :P

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 08:42:20 AM »
The best way to deal with you is to ignore you and your silly story.The genuine Kalkan lovers know exactly the type of place it is and how nice the people are and that is what counts

Offline steveb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:55:48 AM »
Ignorance is bliss, they say... Alright, am sorry for coming here to share our experiences. I will take my leave now since the majority expects only the good stories.

Thank you for reading and wish you a pleasant stay in Kalkan.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »
Gosh, I read this with my mouth hanging open in shock ??? ???      I am sorry, I do not believe a word of it, in all my years of coming to Kalkan, I have yet to find any local person/business that has been nothing but helpful - and even down to the Turkish family and children I have got to know,  all lovely people.  My Turkish is basic, to say the least, but somehow we all seem to communicate, without me being overbearing and rude.   That is why I return year after year.  Apart from Meis, I have never used/or been quoted in Euros, more warning bells on this poster.  As also mentioned "the city of Kalkan" - boy, I know it has grown, but not that much :o :o :o  Oh well, I suppose I am being dim, and risen to the bait, which was probably the whole idea of this poster >:D >:D >:D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
Fantastic consumer advice Mrgrimsdale. You could give Kevin Cotton from Bella magazine a run for his money!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
Fantastic consumer advice Mrgrimsdale. You could give Kevin Cotton from Bella magazine a run for his money!
That's funny. Isn't Mrgrimsdale called Kev?
What a coincidence!  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
What I'd like to suggest is that you come out into the open, admit that you've had your bit of fun and games on the forum, create a real user and contribute as a Kalkan lover and property owner.
I'm sure you have lots of useful contributions to make to this forum, which would benefit many old and new visitors to Kalkan.  :)

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »
I am really very sorry but although I suspect what you ard inferring, I have to tell you that you are completely mistaken. I can assure you that we are both very genuine people and you are grossly mistaken. It is far too hot today to play games, especially as this is our last day!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »
Why do these trolls (or rather this troll) think they can pull the wool over our eyes?

By definition, Kalkan lovers are intelligent, discerning people.

Hello!?!?  We can see through these fake stories! Whoever you are, please just go back to writing your poorly written, badly punctuated, grammatically incorrect dumb-ass magazine articles, for people who are stupid enough to buy them.

Leave us alone. You've had your infantile fun.

In short... DO ONE.

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »
I would not deem to offer such a post a response. Extremely inappropriate, incorrect and off message for the thread subject which was a fellow member's difficulties following an RTA.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
I shall leave it to my many friends on this forum to decide whether it is inappropriate, incorrect or off-message.

You are busted.

Now leave.

Please..

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »

Lizilu this made me laugh out loud....I had to add to your thank you account. Bella magazine readers are missing you, Bazza can you jog on back there please....if they'll have you :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »
Thanks K4E, I'm just wondering who's adding to mrgrimsdales thank you count!! Maybe Bazza, Steveb and Abraham????  ??? ??? >:D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Total 0% Greek Yogurt

Started by turkeyfan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 12:17:16 PM
by turkeyfan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Adam and daugter

Views: 3871
By: elcee
Harbour Jan 08