Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'  (Read 47146 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
K day minus 3 and counting!

Yippee!!!  It's that time again and the preparations are well and truly underway for this years 2nd leg of the 'Golden Birthday Tour'. The first being a wonderful tropical and romantic holiday for Automan and I sans kiddies. It was our very first holiday 'a deux' (I don't know why the 'O' level french is creeping into this blog as I'm ashamed to admit that I actually got a U in my exam - must be the romantic in me  ;D) apart from the odd weekend here and there, but even though we have such happy memories of Mauritius and Dubai - nothing, and I mean NOTHING can compare with the excitement of our family holiday in Kalkan. We even found ourselves comparing bits of tropical paradise with Kalkan and Kalkan usually came out tops.

The excitement of seeing our lovely friends, both Turkish and British and planning what we will do, where we will visit, where to eat etc has been building to a crescendo over these past few weeks. Especially with all the wonderful holiday reports keeping Kalkan alive  in our minds and hearts. 

I wasn't going to start this until a little bit closer to the time but thought I d share how the preparations were coming along.

As usual and to be expected, nothing runs completely smoothly in the Lizilu household. I'm usually very much at the last minute but I have tried to be a little more organised than usual. On Saturday I took our youngest to the uniform shop to get her kitted out for the new term as we only have a few days at the end of our holiday before the start of the new school year and joy of joys, her school has decided to completely overhaul the uniform from scratch. An expense we don't really need before Kalkan, but hey ho, has to be done and organised Mrs Lizilu20 was determined to be prepared. Yesterday, our youngest tried her new uniform on. The v neck of the iumper unravelled in her hands and the top button flew off her new shirt, if only I had known then that this was the shape of things to come.

Following the uniform session, I decided that it was time to separate the siver threads from the gold and touch my roots up. The start of the pre Kalkan essential grooming routine. I always leave the colour on a little longer than it says on the box as I find the grey around my temples notoriously difficult to colour. It recommended 10-20 mins on roots with 10 mins following on the length. I left it 30 mins on roots, 15 mins for the rest then jumped in the shower to wash it off. Id just soaped my bod and was about to shampoo my hair when the bloody shower died on me. No power cut, just a dead shower. I frantically shouted for someone to run me a bath (in a different room) so I could finish what I started. The bath took an age to fill and I was itching like a demented scabied person with all that soap forming a sticky layer all over me - worst of all, the hair dye ended up staying on for about an hour by the time I finally managed to rinse it.

No harm done though thank goodness (apart from having to aveeno my raging eczema today) and the blasted temple roots were still white so I resorted to plucking them out. I had to refrain from turning my hairline into one resembling my namesake of Queen Elizabeth the 1st though. My forehead is high enough thank you very much. My mum always told me it was a sign of brains, but I think she was just trying to make me feel better.

Back work again today and poor Automan had to go home with a dodgy tummy, and that's before we've even got to Kalkan!

So - I'm dusting off the epilady tonight and  taking co-codamol in anticipation of that delight. Ouch!! ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12964.0
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:13:50 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »
Well that brightened up a long working afternoon! Be brave about the epilator....you can do it!  ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
mmmm? If a high forehead is a sign of brains then Ant from Ant & Dec must be a genius....I wonder if it would hatch in the sun? ::)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:20:09 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
Lizilu20..I've given up with trying to cover the roots....I'm definitely 50 shades of grey and have been for quite a number of years. In two weeks time we will be out for dinner in Kalkan and getting ready for our first bottle of wine on the balcony of our villa overlooking the harbour. I really can't wait.

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »
Soooo looking forward to seeing you - and reading the blogs! (Why did predictive text turn soooo into lollipop????)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
Love it, even your prep is entertaining, can't wait for your posts from Kalkan.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
T-3 DAYS!!!
Wow...where has that time gone? Feels like only yesterday your wait was in the 100's now here we are almost at K Day.
Really looking forward to all your escapades with Jayne as I know you will have them...its a given!
Happy Golden Birthday Tour :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »
K - 1 and extremely excited!!!

Well, it's been an eventful couple of days and I'm way behind in my prep. 1 day to go and no sign of suitcase packing yet unfortunately but I'm hoping to get at least 2 packed tonight if the Gods smile down on me. So far they haven't  :(

Poor OH was very poorly on Monday, languishing in bed, too ill and feeble to switch the the channel over from back to back episodes Jeremy Kyle but when I got home from work I managed to rally him enough to fit the new shower that our friend, an electrican, had kindly brought home from work for us. By this time it was 9pm and only just eating dinner so very little was done regarding Kalkan preparations. I had intended to de fuzz but it got too late in the day and I chickened out. The thought of torture at 10pm was too much to bear.

Yesterday was supposed to go like this,
Home from work - washer on
Quick run to Asda for a few essentials (Bikinis for daughter who decided at this late stage that all 21 pairs that she already has just don't cut the mustard anymore for various reasons).
Call in to Mum's to say farewell and take her some homemade soup.
Back home to pack
Strip bed
Epilate the leg hair I've been cultivating for 6 weeks.

It went like this,
Home from work - no time to put washer on
Youngest daughter in a mad panic about her (beauitful to me, but abhorrent to her ) ginger roots suddenly appearing through her bleached blond tresses so emergency trip to hairdressers ( my neice who thankfully is a real one) required.
Got to Mum's to find long lost family from Dubai there so couldn't possibly leave soon
Frantic dash to Asda - no Bikinis, all packed away ready for sale on Thursday
On way to neices to collect newly coiffured kid, witness my sister reverse into red car!
Comfort traumatised sister and get Automan (OH) in action to help sort out crumpled car
Back home, get girls making dinner,
Get washer on
Forgot financial adviser was coming - dump him with OH and finally get the epilady out with a glass of wine for analgesia.
One and a half legs later and one vodka and coke later, just after the stroke of midnight, my trusty faithful epilady died on me. Just like the blasted shower! It Served me faithfully since 1986 and now has bit the dust leaving me not only bereft, but with a mohican running down my left thigh!!!  :o

I'm hoping today will be a better one  :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
Mohican legs..i can see it catching on!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
A pot of clotted cream and a cat will get rid of your unwanted hair...  :angel:

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 04:56:42 PM »
Oh lizilu! You'll laugh about all of this in a couple of days!
The rest of us are laughing now :laugh: :laugh:, apart for the bit about your sisters car!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
What can I say? I'm sure that I stated in a recent post "the best laid plans of mice and men". I'm sure that you'll get the mohican sorted within a day or two.......if not.....you'll be easy to spot!!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Oh Lizilu, what can I say! It's "D" *departure" day today, hurry up here and let the fun commence!  :D :D :D

xxx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 09:54:56 AM »
Oh goodness me...almost time for the French and Saunders of Kalkan to get underway  ;D ;D I cannot wait!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »
ITS K DAY!!!!

Yippee!!! Bags are packed, dog's dispatched to the kennels. 2kilo's overweight so what to get rid of?? Definitely not the sausages, so a variety of shoes and a hairdryer are now in our handbags - makes a change from lipstick and perfume'

So all that remains is to say adios amigos and see you in Kalkan.

Thanks for the replies too guys - made me giggle.  :-*

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 04:06:26 PM »
Have a safe flight all of you.

There will be a great time in he old town tonight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Barb

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
Let the fun......and the naughtiness.....commence!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »
Have a great time and who knows.........we may get to meet.

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »
Sorry, I'm a day behind. Hope you had a good trip?
Can't wait to hear all about your holiday. Happy days ahead…..enjoy  8) 8) 8) :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 09:12:39 AM »
Saturday 15th August

We are here and all the rubbish events leading up to this moment have all been worth it. Sorry I didn't report back yesterday but to be honest yesterday was a little blurry to say the least. A bit like my head this morning, but more on that later.  :)

We were delayed at Manchester by about an hour but after 3 prosseccos and a packet of monster munch, I didn't really care. The flight was good, nice plane, Airbus A321, nice and new with a good seat pitch for cattle class. There was entertainment on board but I couldn't concentrate on that, too excited to be on our way, plus our travel sick and extremely anxious about flying daughter had me in a half nelson, so tight was her grip on me, that the only movement I could make was to lift my hand to mouth to quaff my 2 for a tenner bottega gold.  :) 
OH always moans at having to sit on an aisle seat on the row next to us, says he hates sitting next to 'randomers' but every journey, he chats away with the people next to him and makes new best friends and our flight was no exception. They offered him their paper but he was too busy chatting with them so he asked if I could have a read, no problem so paper was passed to me and I put it in my bag for later as I only had one hand free and gave them a wave of thanks.
About an hour later OH asks me for the paper back, randomers had only lent it to me for a read and they'd watched me snaffle it away in my bag - oh the mortification and lack of communication. I thought they had given me the paper to keep forever, but they were only politely asking if I wanted a quick read. I bet they though I was a cheeky bitch and I had to retrieve the newspaper from my bag with them all looking at me and watching my every move. They then put it in their bag quickly to avert any other misunderstanding   ::)

We arrived at the apartment (no villa this year) at approx 4am so quick nightcap and straight to bed.

The apartment is lovely with beautiful sea views from both floors and a fantastic roof terrace. The apartment below is beautiful too and belongs to a lovely bloke and his bird called Shirl who drags a tartan shopping trolley around with her and fingers a red nipple!  :o
Yes we are definitely going to have some fun in the sun this holiday!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:20:52 AM by Lizilu20 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal