Author Topic: The perfect start  (Read 5897 times)

Offline tuppy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The perfect start
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
The Monarch flight from Manchester was eventful. Five minutes in and some very thoughtful passengers sat next to us decided to pull out some rather tasty looking but extremely wiffy Asdas "chosen by you" kofta kebabs. The smell was rancid...to die for, literally. Later on the wife goes for her pre landing tinkle only to walk in on a rather tipsy lady who'd forgotten to lock the door...mid wipe!

We walked out of Dalaman aitport to what looked like a million transfer cards waving in the air, never seen it so busy! finally found ours and was well impressed with the executive style car from Club Lycia. No stop at the usual petrol station with a swimming pool but that suited us. Quick stop at the supermarket for some essentials (not needed in the end) and by midnight we were spinning round our villa amazed that it was even more wonderful than we remembered.

We opened the fridge to find a hamper full of food and drink left for us. Bread, wine!, milk, sour cherry, cereal, eggs, butter, tea, coffee! The whole shebang! Upstairs into the master bedroom to find our bed covered with rose petals and fancy towels made into love hearts. Could not have been more impressed. The perfect start.

Woke up to grey skies and cloud in every direction. Still didn't spoil the amazing view out over Kalamar bay, we were officially home!

Took the opportunity while it was cool (ish) to take a stroll into town. Noticed a few changes with restaurants and shops but all pretty much still the same old Kalkan magic. Had a nice lunch at Aubergine and booked our table for the evening at Trio.

Trio continue to serve amazing quality food with perfect service. Jumbo Prawns and Fillet Steak cooked in a garlic and herb butter. Simply gorgeous. Star of the show for me though is still the mince meat borek parcel to start. Try it. You won't regret it.

We booked our table at Gourmet for Tuesday night (we worked out last year that Tuesdays and Fridays you can have the best of both worlds at Gourmet, music filtering in from Gironda but still the amazing, in our opinion better grub from Gourmet).

Balcony table already pre booked (dont hate us) for Small House on Wednesday so that just leaves tonight to decide and favourite so far is Escudo after some fab reviews on here and trip advisor.

Sat writing this at Kalamar Beach Club with the Sun feeling like heaven on my back. The sea is a little choppy and a little cold but you wouldn't want it warm in this heat would you! 31 degrees and rising!

Will try to update in a few days, must dash though because the iced pint glass brought with my Effes is starting melt  ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11109.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: The perfect start
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
Sounds great tuppy....enjoy!

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
Fab report and good to see someone else does the Gourmet (fabulous) food and Gironda music thing!!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:33:42 PM »
all except for the first bit!!!koftas and the bog lady!! :-\ tinkling on a plane can be full of dangers :o :o

People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
Total heaven Tuppy .... If you see Musti at kalamar beach club,say hi from Neil .... and tell him to stop Partying !
Have a great time .....    ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
Fantastic report same thing has happened to me on a plane (not me being the one on the toilet) why do people not lock the door?? We too do the same as you and Rachey with regards the music and Gourmet best of both worlds, it has worked our great for us this year as we arrive late Monday so our 1st night will be Tuesday night - Gourmet what joy for your first night out. Nice to hear the boys at escudo are still doing well they are lovely. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
Thanks tuppy, just love reading holiday reports.
Glad you recovered from the rancid kofte but I can imagine the image of the phantom lav wiper will remain etched in your wife's memory for some time unfortunately!!
At least you are in beautiful Kalkan now and can relax and have a fab time. Enjoy every minute.  8) 8) :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:44:34 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 08:50:18 AM »
What a fabulous report so far! I hope your wife recovers from the toilet encounter! How embarrassing for both parties! Is your apartment in Club Lycia? Look forward to hearing the rest of your adventures, enjoy and have a fantastic time.  ;D

Offline tuppy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
After a relaxing day down at Kalamar Beach Club we headed back to the villa (we are staying at Villa Iona Agent Ottoman, looked after by Club Lycia but owned privately...not by us unfortunately!!). Chilled out with a few more effes, played some cards and listened to some perfect holiday music - Buena Vista Social Club, have a listen its great! The days seem to pass so quickly and it's not long before Bohrun is beeping his horn ready to take us into town.

Escudo is our chosen restaurant tonight and what a fantastic decision that was. To be honest we'd never even seen it before tonight as its just around the corner from the main street and although a young lad was waiting outside to show us the menu there wasn't any of the usual "my balcony is the most beautiful, my bread is fresher than a sea breeze etc etc!!". Just how we like it, attentive but not in your face. I chose the Persian Lamb and the wife went for the Sea Bass and spinach. Both very good and a nice bottle of white to accompany. We finished with some chocolate cheesecake which was goegeous , probably the best we've tried in Kalkan. Ismail, the owner, came over for a chat and seemed a really genuine, nice guy. The whole service was just perfect and we will definitely be back for more.

The nights are feeling hotter than the days once in bed and our top floor master bedroom with floor-ceiling glass doors is quite beautiful, but maybe not quite so practical. Two choices here, sleep with the aircon on and wake up with a sore chest and sandpaper coated tongue, or open the doors/windows and put up with the "my bark is louder than yours" competition that the dogs seem to have most nights between 12-4am. In the end we let the dogs whine us to sleep. At 8am we wake up with the sun slowly creeping in through the blinds, we open them up, lay back down and look out to that amazing view over Kalamar Bay. The yapping dogs are long forgotten.

Lazy day by the pool on Tuesday. Gypsy Kings on the iPod speakers. We ordered take away lunch from Cafe Vita which Adam had round in no time. Homemade chips and fresh bread, on par with a fillet steak in our opinion!

Top floor balcony table at Gourmet was booked for 8.30 and just like last year the food was excellent. The main dishes especially we think are on par with the best in Kalkan. The Kurdish Botan Kebab is out of this world and if you like strong/bold flavours then the Balsamic Steak with chilli & honey is a real treat. Looking down on the musicians in Gironda (which was full to the rafters) and then out into the beautiful nightlife twinkle of Kalkan town. Pure heaven.

Today we took a taxi out to Kaputas Beach. Still as breathtaking as ever. No major change with facilities. Still some rickety old beds and parasols. Pancake lady in the corner. The wind was quite boisterous and the sea is still on the cold side. A few locals have told us not to worry, summer is just around the corner but to be honest I wouldn't want it any other way. The wind is a welcome relief once you've been sat out for ten minutes. As is a dip in some ice cold sea water. We are hoping the wind dies down a little though so we can think about booking a boat trip. Really torn between the new Zeus and Yildiz 2. Decisions decisions!

Small house tonight and intrigued what we'll make of it. After some mega hype I have started to see some more negative views on the place. We will give it a try though and share our thoughts.

Tanzore tomorrow for my spice fix. Madras me! :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
Another excellent report Tuppy! We also love Escudo and am pleased to see it's still doing well for Ismail. Will google Buena vista social club!!
Nicky

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:13:11 PM »
Fab report Tuppy. Have just listened to Buena Vista social club and Gypsy Kings on iTunes and I'm there with you!

You mentioned you got a taxi to Kaputas beach. Can I ask how much that was and did you have to pre arrange a pick up time or just ring when you were ready to leave?
 Have decided that I need a pen and paper when reading all these reports so I can jot down all the tips I'm picking up. It will be our first visit in August and am getting so excited reading the holiday reports so please keep them coming!

Suzyq1

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »
Fab tuppy, sounds idyllic!! Looking forward to your views on small house.  :)

Offline tuppy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:18:24 AM »
Hi Suzyq,

A taxi to Kaputas from Kalamar bay was 60tl return (so roughly a tenner each way). I imagine it would be less from Kalkan Centre, maybe 40/50tl return. We had ours booked with our regular taxi guy but you can call a taxi anytime and one will be with you within a few minutes.

We ate at small house last night Lizilu but decided not to write a full review as it just wasn't our kind of food.

Tanzore tonight though and from popping our heads in to book a table last night it looks very promising!  ;D

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »
Hi tuppy,

Hope you enjoy tanZore tonight, please let us all know what you think, good, bad or indifferent ?
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Tuppy.

Hope to read more of your reports soon. Enjoy!
Suzyq1

Offline tuppy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
Thursday was the first night we decided to walk into town instead of the usual taxi. Quick stop at the Elixer Hotel for a couple of effes and a few frames of pool. Ali from behind the bar came over for a game, turns out he's got more jam then Harley's!

Arrived at Tanzore for 9pm and have to say the food was fantastic. Gorgeous Apricot chutney with the poppadoms to start and some really nice sizzling chicken. I ordered a tikka madras (hot) and the missus went for a tikka balti (medium). Both very good although the balti was hotter than the madras which meant I got plenty of seconds! We ordered far too much as usual and including a few effes and soft drinks the total bill was a very reasonable 130tl. A few small hitches with the service but nothing that wasn't sorted. Really hope they make a success of this place because its a welcome change especially for spice lovers like us!!

Friday daytime we went to look at a large villa for a family holiday we are planning later in the year. Could be 12+ of us coming so wanted to check out some places to stay while we are here. The one we saw wasn't suitable so the search is still on so if anyone can recommend anywhere 6 bedroom plus or two villas together that would be great.

We really fancied a good old fashioned steak and chips for our evening meal so after some careful research we made out way down to Mussakas on the harbour. Very busy but still managed to find us a table. Both steaks were excellent, cooked to perfection and the home made chips are the best yet...better than cafe vitas dare we say!!! Service was a little slow but we didn't mind that and not surprising considering how busy they were. Will definitely return if we have a night free before we leave.

Planned on going to Patara today but the sea in Kalamar looks a lot more lively than usual so imagine Patara would be even more so. Decided to give it a miss in the end but do hope to get there one afternoon next week and stay for the sunset. Can anyone recommend where we get the dolmbus to Patara from in the Kalamar area? 100tl return in a taxi seems a bit steep!

Had a walk down to the harbour and spoke to the Yildiz team. Osman was fully booked until next Friday but we managed to get in on the Yildiz 3 which looks just as nice. Really looking forward to that!

Tuppy :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:19:04 PM by tuppy »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
Hi tuppy, sounds like you're having a great time. Hope you make it to patara soon.  8)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »
Hi Tuppy, No doubt someone in the know will give you a precise answer, but just had a quick look on the search facility for you and it sounds that you can get a dolmus to Patara from the stand opposite the taxi rank or the bus station. Not sure if this is any good to you being in the Kalamar area? Anyway I hope you make it and have a good day. We hope to go in August so will be interested to hear all about it.

I have also booked to go on Yildiz 3 for a day trip and Yildiz 2 for the evening bbq. If the reviews are anything to go by you will have an amazing time!
Suzyq1

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 06:09:43 AM »
Re Patara - Stand near the taxi rank not there any more, so go to the bus station for the Patara dolmus.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 09:59:10 AM »
Hi Tuppy,

If you go back into the Elixir can you tell Ali that his friends from the Meldi will up to see him in 2 weeks.

Enjoying your reports.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Oh what a perfect day!

Started by Wally on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 10:15:26 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
season start

Started by pattaya on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 02:00:35 PM
by pattaya
xx
Sad start to the Season

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 07:45:56 PM
by MouMou
xx
bargain for start of the season!

Started by seasick on Flights and Travel

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 06:36:52 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal