Author Topic: Our Adventures in Paradise  (Read 9993 times)

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Our Adventures in Paradise
« on: May 26, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »
So we a here and loving it, thought I would share a few days with you, will update when we get more wifi.

Thursday 23 May - Day 1
So...this morning we both woke up feeling a tad worse for wear after starting the holiday a little early by drinking too much cava!!
We got to Manchester airport in VERY good time and ended up in the Grain Loft, through customs, baggage drop etc within half an hour...good going. Sam ordered his full English but left most if it in his hungover state...takes more than that to beat me though! I gulped down my Prosecco and eggs benedict, which I have to say for airport food was delicious and would recommend it - Grain Loft in T1 at MAN.
Fight all ok and service on flight was wonderful, Sam got himself all cosied up next to the window and I sat next to a poor lady who hated flying and was high as a kite on diazepam...was an interesting flight for me!
Landed and collected bags and met our driver...now I'm pretty sure that Colin McRae is dead, however I think he picked us up!!! We held on to each other for dear life and somehow made it in one piece to the half way petrol station for the obligatory Efes.
We swung round the bend in the dark and the twinkling lights took my breath away, as ever. Can't wait to see Sam's face in the morning!!
Had a tasty meal at Cafe Vita - 1 cheeseburger, 1 tuna salad, 1 Lal and 1 Efes = 42.50 TL. Sam has already professed his love of Kalkan...I'm doing a dance of glee...wait until he wakes up!!

Friday 24th May - Day 2
We woke up to heavy cloud, however was very warm if a little muggy. We decided to take a walk down Kalamar Rd to Kalkan. We mooched around looking at menus in the quiet planning where we'd like to eat. We ended up being lured into Seaport on the harbour by a free apple tea and ended up having breakfast too. 2 x cheese omelettes = 22 TL. Was very nice to sit and watch the boats pull out of the harbour and see the world go by.
The afternoon saw the arrival of the sun and Sam's new hobby...flying around the apartment with an electric fly swatter!! We have both been bitten by the blighters so I think he's on a revenge mission. My little finger resembles a Turkish sausage!!
Later we got our glam rags on and headed back into town and stopped off to watch the sunset on Foto's terrace - 2 large Efes = 12 TL. Then headed to the fabled Small House (or the restaurant that should not be named). We had a beautiful meal of mixed mezze platter, prawn casserole (which I can say is one of the nicest things I've ever eaten - and I've eaten LOTS haha) Sam had the steak with sauce and said it was equally good, 2 white wines, 1 coke = 106 TL. Very worth it.

Saturday 25th May - Day 3
We woke up this morning to beautiful warm sunshine and the most beautiful view of old mousey and Mr Snake! I will never tire of that view.
This morning we basked in the sun, Sam now known as Fly Swat Ninja had a spat of flying around the apartment with the fly swat zapping away!!
For lunch we visited House Cafe which was very pleasant - 1 haloumi salad, 1 cheeseburger, 2 large Efes and 2 cappuccinos = 49 TL. Food again was lovely however I am reliably informed that Cafe Vita's burger is miles better! We then ambled up the road to CanCan supermarket for essentials (tonic & Efes...)! Mustapha at Cafe Vita invited us in for a drink and a chin wag, both him and I are keen armature photographers so he had a play with my new Nikon and promised to take us on the roof of the derelict hotel opposite Vita to get some shots...hoping this materialises!
We left Mustapha's and came home to bask in the sun (me) and zap (Sam)...should I be worried that my future husband had a slightly sadistic side enjoying electrocuting little creatures?! Hmmmmmmm!
This evening saw us pop back into Vita for yet more Efes x 2 12 TL, we then walked into town and shared a mixed pizza and fries, 1 large Efes and 1 white wine at fotos pizza - 49TL! A bargain as the view is spectacular as is the food!
Tonight bore the first BSG purchase...and it wasn't me!! Sam is now the proud owner of a swanky 'Louis Vuitton' wallet! Lovely leather too. I have found a 'Prada' bag that I like and have requested the black version be brought over from Belek...oh dear!! Ah well it's holiday time after all.
We had a mooch round the shops and I drooled my way round Just Silver and Sam proclaimed he could buy all sorts for me and had never seen a shop that was so 'me'....I take it back, Fly Swat Ninja all is forgiven!! Bodes well future hubs!!  ;)
The night was rounded off with 2 coconut cappuccinos at Cafe Del Mar - delicious = 16 TL. Fab place to people watch too.

Will write more... If its not too boring, please let me know!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11069.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Our Adventures in Paradise
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »
Boring, you must be joking ILOC, great report, i loved reading it, looking forward to reading more  8)

Are you staying in Kalamar Bay ?  I ask because that's where we are and hearing you like taking a few photos, I was wondering if you could give me half hour of your time to show me how to use my new camera that my kids brought me for Xmas   ;) 8) ;)

Keep your reports coming  ;) 8) ;)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Kalkan Sam

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • KALKAN = PERFECTION!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
Hi Peter,

It's Hannah, ipad just died at Vita!

Yes we are in Kalamar - in the beautiful Hanimeli apartment,  do you know it?

More than happy to help with your camera, though I'm no expert!

We are going to pop in to see you anyway, shall we arrange then?

Hannah :-)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
Hi Hannah,

Thanks for that.  We are in a villa opposite the road that takes you down to Kalamar beach club, just call in we are normally in.  It's called villa Sizma.

Look forward to seeing you.

Peter.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
Great report Hannah, keep them coming...just over a week and we will be joining you in Paradise so I need lots of reminders until then :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 07:36:44 PM »
Sounds like you are having a great time.....and taking on the research into prices of efes......excellent work,agent ottoman!

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
Thanks for the report.  We have only been home a week and are missing the place already.

Jo and Gary

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
Fab, fab, fab. Really enjoying your adventures "agent ottoman", (love it Babs!!!) and sidekick. Please keep them coming and I now need to invest in a new toy, really want an electric fly swatter!! I'll have such fun swatting OH when he gets gobby!  ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »
I had never thought of that use for an electric fly swatter Lizilu......but had lots of fun with one while staying with friends.....zapping the little b....rs before they zapped me!!

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
Haha Lizilu if he's anything like my OH he'll get carried away and swat himself when one lands on his leg...apple tea all over the floor (good job it's a tiled floor!) I haven't laughed so much in ages! Daft sod electrocuted himself when one landed on his leg...trigger happy!! Think I could have been mistake  for a local dog with all the howling I did!

Agent ottoman is well and truly on the case! It's my duty to report back ...  ;) That's what I'm telling myself anyway!

Peter - we are popping into TanZare tonight to book a table for Friday so will get some directions off you then, though I warn you I'm no expert. I just point and shoot and hope the camera does the rest!  ;D

Speak to you all soon xxx

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 05:04:08 AM »
Hi Hannah,

Sorry I missed you......down the hill past House Cafe, we are the first villa on the right at the bottom of the hill.

Speak soon Peter.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »
Just ordered my electric fly swatter - it's called "the executioner"!!! I can't wait to be let loose with this implement of torture!!  >:D >:D

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
Well we are back in sunny England, yes sunny, can you believe!? However we a very sad, suffering the holiday blues and missing Kalkan already.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin...

Sunday 26th May
This morning we woke up to beautiful warm sunshine, having decided that there are too many nice things in the shops here in Kalkan to leave here, so we are going to cook and eat in a few nights and lunches. We have been super super lucky as the owner of the apartment we are staying in has left us a pretty much fully stocked fridge.
We basked in the sunshine this morning and nipped down to Cafe Vita for lunch...well we are in holiday I'm not cooking ALL the time ;)
Sam has struck up quite a friendship with Mustapha so we spent most of the afternoon there just chatting and relaxing and enjoying the warm welcome that you're always given there! Cheeseburger for Sam and tuna salad for me with two large Efes - 42.50 TL. We were even given two complimentary gin & tonics to help us while the afternoon away! Such a lovely guy! We staggered back to the apartment and basked some more in the sun avec more gin & tonics (there really is a theme here). Later I stumbled into the kitchen and rustled up some pasta with chicken topped with toasted pine nuts followed by some chocolate pudding...quite nice for a rustle in the cupboards!
We then watched the sun go down from the patio and sunk some more Pimms and Gin, a quiet but romantic evening.

Monday 27th May
More beautiful sunshine and heat today! The weather is truly brilliant, as is the view. Sam can't quite get over the view, it really is just as breathtaking and unique as I remember.
We had a lovely relaxing day by the pool and as we were sunbathing the lovely owners of the top floor apartments in our block came back from their morning shopping with a bag of tomatoes, chillies and onions for us. We really have been very lucky with both our owners and neighbours! I do think this is part of the charm of Kalkan though. For lunch I made a lovely salad of tomatoes, red onion, turkish cheese, olives, pine nuts, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar...delicious even if I don't say so myself.
Lunch was accompanied with Efes which started an afternoon of gin & Pimms yet again...ah well it is holiday after all!
Later on we popped into Cafe Vita for our regular two large Efes and had a great natter with Mustpaha. We then walked into Kalkan and had dinner at Chillies, which was absolutely gorgeous and a total utter bargain! We shared a lamb pide and chicken skewers, I had a Lal rose and Sam had an Efes - 45.90 TL with complimentary turkish bread with garlic butter, olives and turkish cheese. Fabulous views, fabulous food and fabulous price! Really recommend this place.
We then walked around town and made a reservation for TanZore Indian Restaurant for Friday night.

Tuesday 28th May
Today was very similar to yesterday minus the afternoon's drinking...there were two very sore heads in Kalamar this morning! The plan was to go into Kalkan for dinner so we got ready and popped in for essential hydration at Vita on the way (its a tough walk in the heat...) Mustapaha produced his new camera, we helped him put it together and had a play around with it (another theme here too ;-)). We ended up staying for dinner and shared a gorgeous mixed mezze which blew the famous Small House out the water I'm afraid to say (sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons). We then shared a very tasty Mexican pizza and a large portion of 'grandmas chips'. This meal was yet again tasty, fabulous and served with warmth. The previous with 4 large Efes - 67 TL. Another bargain!! Can really recommend Vita too - perfect really!

Wednesday 29th May
We woke up this morning to quite violent winds (not us)!!  ;D >:D ;D everything has been flying around the pool and patio, one of the sunbed mattresses has flown over the wall before we could secure it, our umbrella blew completely over so we decided to tuck it next to the house. We have two umbrellas so we thought we would secure the other one by putting that one down too, only for it to be blown right across the patio flying into next doors furniture, knocking it all flying and ripped. Quite scary!
We decided that the best option was to stay indoors while it died down. Whilst watching films a helicopter in the bay caught my eye, then I noticed there were two. Dipping down into the water collecting huge buckets of water and flying into the little bay just passed Kalamar...there was no sign of smoke and we still don't know why this was happening?
Around 3pm we had a knock at the door, we were pleasantly surprised and shocked when we were given an orange box with 'this is for you from Annette' (the owner of the apartment). We opened it up to reveal a beautiful chocolate cake decorated wishing us a 'happy pre-wedding holiday'!! We were a bit overwelmed at the kindness and thoughtfulness of this gesture!
This evening we went to the BBQ night at Vita which is really really recommended! 30 TL each for mixed mezze starters that you can go back up for as many times as you like (if you can manage more than once)! Lovely barbecued meats - lamb, chicken, kofte all served with rice and barbecued chillies, onions and tomatoes. And fruit and cakes for afters. Another bargain for the quality and amount you get! We had a fantastic night chatting with fellow holiday makers, taking in the atmosphere, listening to the fab live entertainment - very talented gent and lady on violin, guitar and vocals. Just right. Our bill for this evening was 120 TL...I blame the gin(s) and Raki (why oh why I thought this was a wise idea I will never know)! Brilliant night! Be sure to book in advance if you fancy it.

Thursday 30th May
Today is market day in Kalkan, so we walked into town having a lovely cappuccino on the way at vita x 2 - 9 TL. Sam and Mustapha had a conversation about Islamlar and visiting a trout farm so arranged that we'd go later this afternoon.
The market was buzzing with a hive of activity and we enjoyed taking it all in, it was quite hot under the tarpaulins and can imagine its sweltering in the summer? Some purchases were made; a lovely necklace, turkish eyes in different varieties and styles, a few plates etc. We had a giggle at the market vendors tag lines 'buy one get me free' for example!
The afternoon saw us relax by the pool with a gin & tonic in hand before meeting Mustapha at 4pm and heading up into the mountains. The drive up and out of Kalkan is truly breathtaking as is taking in the village life on the way up. We finally arrived at Bodamya Tepe which is beautiful. We wound our way down the pathway lined with rose bushes and foliage. To our right was the stream itself along with hammocks hung from trees and eat areas suspended over the stream and pond.
We had some beautiful food - we shared a village salad, grilled goats cheese, stuffed vine leaves and home cooked chips followed by grilled trout for me, chicken shish for Sam and trout baked in butter for Mustapaha. The view is so spectacular up there, I'm also glad we went at 5pm as, as an amateur photographer, the evening haze hadn't descended so the photos are beautiful and clear! The food, service and most of all the views are just brilliant. The bill for three with three large Efes was 100 TL. Another hugely recommended experience!

Friday 31st May
We woke up to more beautiful weather and sat eating our beautiful chocolate cake and coffee for breakfast on the patio...a little sad that this morning is the last of the cake! So gorgeous...shame I'm not sure where it was from!
We decided to take ourselves off to Kaputas beach. On the walk up to the bus station we saw the mayor in a convoy of cars with a truck complete with drummers. There was much honking and hooting, we both remembered a post we read on here and wondered if it was a circumcision party?!
Anyway we got on the dolmus - 6TL return for 2 people to Kaputas! Bargain, again! The view on the way to the beach was truly stunning and like something off a film set rolling by! We spent a fabulous day at the beach, swimming, sunbathing and being a true camera geek! Got some fabulous shots of the beach and a fabulous gulet boat sitting on the sea!
Later on we got a taxi into town and enjoyed a Lal and Efes at the Merkez and watched the world go by, enjoyed people watching! 13 TL for the both. We then headed back down the hill to TanZore for dinner. I had a white wine, Sam had a Corona - which he was very impressed about! He then had a chicken shish (he's not keen on Indian) and I had a chicken Tikka Pathia. This was one of the best Pathia's I've ever eaten and our local Indian is pretty special (gets visited by Tom Cruise when the open golf is on)! So I was very impressed! We really enjoyed our meal here and Esra and Billy are fantastic, lovely welcoming hosts!! They made us feel really welcome. The bill came to 84 TL and for the quality of the food and service and the view it's a bargain! Would really recommend here!
An evening of shopping then ensued! We bought some lovely watches at Images, a lovely ring from Just Silver and the a fair few purchases at BSG! We then sat and had a lovely chat with Ertan and Maria over wine, cherries and strawberries. We had a really insightful chat with Ertan who is a really genuine guy. So Fly Swat Ninja all is forgiven after tonight's purchases!

Saturday & Sunday
Were both spent packing in as much time in the sun as possible! Drinking as much Efes as was physically possible and trying to put the imminent end of the holiday out of our mind!

In summary:
We had an amazing time, met some fantastic people! I can't quite get my head around the Small House hype as having eaten elsewhere we found it overpriced and not as tasty. Far better places in my opinion...sorry if I offend anyone here. We are missing Kalkan already! We are thinking of coming for New Year - any opinions/advice re where's open, where to go, weather etc would be greatly received.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »
Thanks for taking time and sharing that with us agent ottoman..i have enjoyed your posts ! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to read them Blue Lizard!  ;D

Not long for you now is it?!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »
Excellent post Ottaman!! When we stayed at the Lizo hotel we also used to enjoy our lunches at Café Vita.
Nicky

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »
Excellent posts agent Ottoman!!! Sounds like you've had a fantastic holiday and had some lovely food, both home cooked and out in the restaurants. Thanks for the price info, mission definitely sucessfully completed!  ;D 8) ;)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
Yes mission is well and truly complete agent Ottoman and assistant...... consider yourself debriefed.....you will be contacted shortly regarding your next secret mission!  :laugh:

Offline ak1945

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »
I so enjoyed reading your post, excellent work, I must remember to take the gaviscon haha fabulous, thank you  :) Are there sunshades and beds at Kapatus or is take your own sunshade?

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 07:45:14 AM »
Thank you everyone! We feel very sad this morning - reality kicking in, back to work in the morning. Don't want to be debriefed at all...ah well Babs I shall await the next mission with baited breath! AK1945 definitely take the gaviscon! I regretted not taking any, though a glass of sut (milk) does the trick  ;) When we went to Kaputas they were just setting up the little business but there were a few parasols and sunbeds available for hire. He said they were fully opening the weekend that's just gone so should be in full operation now. It was 20 TL for two beds and a parasol. Not sure about drinks etc as took a cool box stacked with goodies.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What is happening to paradise.....

Started by collsmac on General Discussion

33 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 03:53:27 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Our little piece of paradise

Started by nikki 13 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2012, 08:21:57 PM
by Helshe
xx
Antler's Monday - A little bit of paradise...

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 12:38:27 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Paradise apartments and tours

Started by wendyg on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 04:57:54 PM
by felicity

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal