Author Topic: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!  (Read 72229 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 06:21:14 PM »
Keith your self catering sounds as if it's exactly the same as ours! Have a brilliant holiday, look forward to hearing more.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 08:18:04 AM »
Welcome to Paradise, keith.
Keith can...relax and enjoy! ;D 8)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 02:23:39 PM »
After a very relaxing day by the pool we got ourselves ready for our nightly excursion into Kalkan.. We are extremely fortunate that our villa is no more than 5 minutes from the taxi rank and all on the flat.  We decided to give Bezirgans a miss tonight and instead headed down to Moonlight to reaquaint ourselves with Martin and his team. This is another ideal spot to people watch and we enjoyed a refreshing Efes followed by G&T-shirt. It never ceases to amaze me that so many of the locals remember us.......this is our sixth visit but we always try to spread our custom.

The town seems fairly busy and everyone is their normal friendly selves. You cannot help but feel totally relaxed in such a friendly and welcoming place. After our refuelling pit stop we move on to Barahats for our evening meal. I have to say that the food didn't deliver against our expectations which is a pity as this is normally one of our favourite restaurants. Tracey and I are both feeling tired after our day of doing nothing and agree to head on home to enjoy a cold G&T on the roof terrace.

Keith can..........feel totally relaxed........in Kalkan

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
Thanks Keith, really enjoying your posts. Keep them coming.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Glad you and Tracey arrived safely and settled into your villa.

Shame about Baharat, we've never had a bad meal there but one year had to wait 2 hours for our mains.  :o Maybe it's a new chef?

Keith can...try somewhere different to eat tomorrow...in Kalkan.  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:41:19 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »
Hi Lizilu.....Dont get me wrong the food in Barahats was still very edible but just a tad bland. As you say:

Keith can......try somewhere different to eat tomorrow.....in Kalkan

I thought that was an excellent use of my blog title although you've now taken one of my lines lol

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »
Well how frustrating was that? I had almost completed writing my daily blog when the screen went blank and it disappeared. Oh well not to worry..... I'll just have to start again.

We awoke early yesterday morning as we don't want to waste a second of our time in Kalkan. Waking up to the incredible view really sets you up for the day. Sitting enjoying a coffee on the balcony overlooking the bay there is a lovely cooling breeze and we decide that we'll take a walk down to the harbour to see how the works to repair the fire damage are progressing.

This is the first time that we have visited in June and the slightly cooler temperatures really suit us. It must be an age thing? We amble down to the beach and are pleased to see that Kept and has reopened in his previous location. This was always one of our favourite restaurants although I think that he has changed the menu to a more Italian food style. We continue down to Kleos for my first Efes of the day (it is probably a bit early but he ho.....I'm on holiday). Tracey had a frozen lemon drink which was delicious and thirst quenching.

Drinks consumed we continued along the front past Seaport and the other well known eateries. Tracey has a Mediterranean appearance and a number of locals speak to us in Turkish.....they seem genuinely surprised when we say that we are from England and that our understanding of the Turkish language is minimal. Note to self......I really should make more of an effort to learn the language. We had towards Indigos as It's surprising how a little walk can build up a thirst. Another Efes consumed as we sit and watch people enjoy the beach club.

Heading off back up through town we comment on the fewer numbers of street dogs that appear to be around this year. I know that they have caused some serious debate on here but we haven't personally found them to be a problem. We enjoy a browse in some of the shops and reaquainting ourselves with old friends. As we get to Bezirgans we spy our favourite bartender and feel obliged to call in for a drink. For those of you in the know you would be forgiven for thinking that this particular bartender is the most miserable person in Kalkan but, as he says us his face breaks into the biggest smile, and we are welcomed like long lost family. I enjoy yet another Efes whilst playing with their new puppy. I'm not sure what breed he is but, he is black and white and extremely playful. Be warned he has razor sharp teeth.

Having enjoyed our reunion we head up the hill to pick up some basic provisions.......you know, wine, beer and crisps. We get as far as Bunkers and, having read some good reviews, make an on the spot decision to stop for lunch. It was very reasonable in both quality and cost. Across the road to pick up some fresh fruit from the greengrocers (how ridiculously cheap) and into Kipas for essential provisions.

One thing that I have observed during our first couple of days is that Tracey has been particularly fast at sinking her G&T's. I thought that this phenomenon was worth further exploration and, having quizzed Tracey, she informed that that she always drinks faster when using a straw. To put this theory to the test we sat on the roof terrace watching the world go by. We were enjoying G&T's without straws and, you've guessed it............Tracey still downed them faster than me.

Keith can.......be with friendly and welcoming people.......in Kalkan

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »
Sorry about some of the spellings in my last post.....predictive text is such a nuisance.....I'll have to see if I can switch it off.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
We'll forgive your spelling Keith! Though I'm not sure about the idea of you having lunch in a bunker.....seems such a shame, what with that lovely weather and views!  ;D ;D

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
Thanks Babs.......it was meant to say Hunkars!! I will definitely be trying to remove predictive spelling before tomorrow's blog!

Keith can......try to improve his spelling......in Kalkan

Offline Kevin Norwich

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 06:36:09 AM »
Thanks for your reports Keith,hope you get to sort out that predictive text problem.

Reading between the lines,and possibly being a tad presumptious,I am assuming that you are partial to the odd pint of Efes.

Could you let me know how much you are paying for a pint in the various bars and restaurants? I am assuming that the exchange rate is still around 4.50?

Looking forward to getting back to the Samira Exclusive next weekend.

Keith can.....provide sound financial advice.....in Kalkan

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Here's a suggestion for all those with predictive text issues (and that means all of us, to differing levels according to device):

Write up the Blog in the Notepad/Google Docs/whatever it is on an iPad.  It should not do predictive text then, but underline what it considers spelling errors.

When finished, copy all the text and paste it into the EK box.

Job Done!  (apart from the inevitable demise of Asian Gary errors).

(There's a reason I've come up with this - which will be revealed soon…)
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »
being the author of Asian Gary, I have a sense of parental responsibility for it ...... and I feel a perfectly presented blog from Joycie would feel like she had got a ghost writer in...you know like wot the celebs do!!!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »
Hi Kevin Norwich.....the current exchange rate is 4.35tl to the pound. As you have noticed I do enjoy a nice cold Efes and these are costing between 13tl & 15tl. We took a trip to Kas today and Efes was a very reasonable 10tl. Still relatively cheap!!

Keith can.....provide on the spot financial updates whilst......in Kalkan

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 02:55:04 PM »
In kalkan ...Jimmys by the harbour Efes is 10 TL......Foto pizza by taxi rank 9.50..Bread and more on Kalamar road 8.50...  ;) hic!
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
Thanks for the heads up BL. Cheaper still if you buy it in the supermarkets but I guess that you pay a premium for enjoying a drink at Bezirgans or Moonlights. These are our two favourite spots for sitting and watching the world go by.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 08:20:12 AM »
Well......where did the last two days go? Despite our best efforts to maximise our waking hours the days just seem to evaporate. We are up before sunrise and stay up far later than we would back at home but, there's nothing that we can do to slow down time.

On Thursday we enjoyed another chilled out day around the pool and I've even managed to get back into reading books. This is not something that I normally do as the stresses and strains of everyday life and work doesn't afford too many opportunities, or the time, to indulge in reading. It's another of Kalkans pleasures that you can completely switch off and not worry about the flow of emails and work priorities. I don't read newspapers or switch on the TV for two whole weeks and this adds to the relaxing ambience.

On Thursday evening we go off to Bezirgans for our obligatory pre dinner drinks and spend a bit of time playing with the black and white puppy who we now know is called Tukka (not sure about the spelling but can't blame predictive text on this occasion). Whilst enjoying our refreshing beverages we discuss where we will be dining this evening and decide that we will give Corianders a try. There is a nice family feel to this restaurant and as you would expect a very enjoyable meal. The overall cost was not dissimilar to what you would pay further on down in the town but, as always, we feel that is value for money. Meal consumed we head back to the villa for a couple of G&T's on the roof terrace.

Whilst enjoying the views across the bay we agree that we should try something completely different tomorrow.........shock, horror........we are going to visit Kas for the day. This will be the first time that we have ventured away from our haven.

We are up early on Friday and having enjoyed our coffees we await the arrival of our driver. He is very punctual and we set off along the scenic coast road. The journey just as people have described and we are captivated by the scenery.  We are dropped off at the harbour and our immediate thoughts are that is not as pretty as Kalkan. The harbour wall causes an obstruction that takes away any real view of the sea and the Kas peninsula. The town is bigger than Kalkan but, we both agree, lacks It's charm and character. Nonetheless  we have a good day and make the most of rare excursion.

Keith can.......feel at home........in Kalkan

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »
We like Kas walking uphill to a beach club is a novelty sitting by the harbour with a foaming Efes and walking up through the town to the beach clubs. We always go by bus that fantastic coast road always reminds me of the packed dolmas which used to operate when we first came to Kalkan. A lovely but quite pungent elderly Turkish gentleman fell asleep on Brian's shoulder and we hardly dared to wake him when we got to Kalkan.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »
Keith thank you for your posts, what a great holiday you are having! Totally agree about Kas, not as pretty as Kalkan but there is something about it that we love and always go there for a visit.  There is a lovely beach acrosss the harbour from Kas, Limingazi I think it is called, now that isn't predictive but I have a funny feeling it isn't spelt that way! but if you go back again, well worth getting the little ferry boat across, it is beautiful, although the last time we went it was really choppy on the return journey!

Coriander sounds like it is very nice, we have only ever been there once for lunch, so may well try it again this year, and Asian Gary Haybo and Joycie, we can't wait, that is on our list at the very start of our holiday, can't wait to go and see what their new premises are like, and sample the chicken shashlik!

Anyway enjoy whatever you do today Keith and look forward to reading your next adventure!  :D :D

J&B
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:29:27 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »
As we awake from our slumber we can sense that it is going to be a lot hotter today. As the early morning sun rises above the hilltop the first rays hit the back of my neck. As anticipated it already feels warmer than the previous days and we quickly come to the conclusion that we should shelve our plans to walk into town. The cooling breeze has gone and the sky's are devoid of clouds. My legs and, particularly my shins have come out in red blotches and I'm trying to determine whether it is a heat rash or an allergic reaction to the sun. I had a similar flair up on my last visit and, after a visit to the local pharmacy, was given some cream to administer. Thankfully Tracey remembered to pack it along with all the other pills and potions and some I'm hopeful that early treatment will prevent this rash from impacting on our holiday.

We spend a leisurely day around the pool and I keep out of direct sunlight. The villa has plenty of shady areas and I continue to reaquaint myself with reading. Once again the day passes in a blink of an eye and we are soon showering and preparing for an evening in Kalkan. It's as I'm getting myself ready that I realise that I didn't pack a two pin plug adaptor to enable me to charge my electric razor. Do I take a risk and hope that there is enough juice to complete a shave or.........go without and look like someone akin to Wurzel Gummidge? I decided to take a chance and thankfully managed to shave my whole face.

We had already decided that we would eat at Akdeniz tonight and, after our refuelling stop at Moonlights, headed down the steps towards the Mosque. This is a lovely corner to spend the evening and gives a completely different perspective of the town. Before venturing into the restaurant we check the menu to ensure that it has the meat samosas and calamari starters that we both enjoyed on our last visit. The restaurant looks the same but it appears to be under new ownership? We are ushered to a table and we both look at each other in a knowing way. Have we made the right choice, should we make our excuses and leave or should we sit tight and hope for the best? We have never experienced a bad meal in Kalkan and decide that we would stay. If nothing else we would be doing our bit to support this restaurant.

As we sit perusing the menu we notice that one of the young lads was given instructions and he disappeared up the hill. About 5 minutes later he returned with a bag full of bread and another full of tomatoes. They were obviously waiting to ensure that they had customers before buying these basic provisions. Our starters arrived and, we needn't have worried, they were delicious. The service was not as attentive as we have experienced at other restaurants but, in some ways, this added to our enjoyment as we were able to pour the wine ourselves and replenish our glasses at a pace that suited us. The main courses duly arrived and were very pleasing on the palette. All in all another very enjoyable culinary experience.

Meal consumed we meander up through the town stopping off to browse in a number of shops. Tracey had spotted a lovely bag in Kas and we were on the lookout for something similar in Kalkan. As always it is a real pleasure to have the opportunity to meet with some of the new shop assistants. We weren't able to find what Tracey is looking for and so I can sense a visit to Simply Chic to see if she has the illusive bag. We also stumble upon Melissa's which seems to stock some very good quality trousers and shirts and I promise that I will return to purchase some items later in our holiday.

We are starting to fill hot and so head on back to the villa to enjoy one or two cooling G&T's on the roof terrace. We are very fortunate to spot 3 shooting stars this evening despite the best efforts of the lazer lights that sweep across the night sky. As we sit reminiscing on our holiday so far we are suddenly aware of a flashing orange light and a rumbling noise that sounded like a tank heading down from the Recency hotel direction. As it got closer the noise reverberated around the streets and we wondered what on earth it could be. As it passed in front of the villa, at a snail's pace, Tracey spotted the tell tale mist and we agreed that it must be the mozzi buster.

Keith can........forget about the pressures of life........in Kalkan

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
Not going to Kalkan

Started by The Engineer on Other Resorts

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 03:00:13 PM
by The Engineer
xx
May Day in Kalkan

Started by Sandancer on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 07:19:57 PM
by itstime

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal