Author Topic: Has it lost, or is it losing its charm?  (Read 19442 times)

Offline apj0524

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Has it lost, or is it losing its charm?
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »

I'll state at the start of this that I am not a year on year Kalkan visitor, however I this is the 3rd time in in 5 years we have visited the resort and, whilst there maybe some familiarity creeping into my view point, I think the changes we have seen in resort are dramatic enough to warrant asking the question.  Equally we are travelled enough, and wise enough to know that nothing stays the same and change should be accepted as inevitable

As we stroll through the town in the evening it all the restaurants seem to be offering a similar menu to each other, catering for the masses, and I swear where we eat last night the Borek we had to start our meal were bought in, rather than the freshly made we used to enjoy from same restaurant a couple of years ago.  It is also noticeable that the number of bars playing load inane Euro pop/dance music seems to have increased, don't get me wrong I love a good night out, but its not what I came to Kalkan for.  However its good to see at the moment the people are voting with their feet for this type of evening entertainment, as the seem to be mostly empty!

Even during the day day from our villa we can hear the humming of music from one Beach Club or another.

Whilst this loverly resort is no where near as bad as some of the more travelled resorts in Europe, I feel it is sad to see, in my view, the slow decline of this beautiful place to satisfy the demand for more and more tourist income.

I'll close by saying that it I am sure we will return to Kalkan in the future, but what we experience when we return will be a worry

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12811.0

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Has it lost, or is it losing its charm?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:50:46 AM »
I agree with all your comments, that is why we rarely go to restaurants in town.  Staying on the hillside is cooler and quieter.  The town restaurants and bars seem to think that loud music will attract customers, whereas it is just the opposite.  They have yet to learn that.  And yes, the menus are nearly interchangeable for their sameness.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:07:07 PM »
You make some interesting observations apj. We have been visiting Kalkan for the last 15 years and have had a property for the last 10, situated on the other side of the bay. We have seen changes and as you say, are well travelled enough to understand that change happens. It saddens me to see these ghastly bars pumping out loud music, chinese and Indian restaurants and English breakfasts. As you say it is nowhere as bad as some resorts and thankfully because of its position it is unlikely to attract the sort of people that want this.. We like to go to foreign countries and enjoy the culture, the food and the way of life, not have a mini England on our doorstep.
We chose wisely when buying and am very glad we are based where we are. As for restaurants you have to choose carefully, one or two that we used quite a lot a few years ago have slipped down the favourites list for the reasons you mention. This year will not be Kalkan's finest due to events over the winter but I think the heart of Kalkan is its people, and as long as they don't radically change I hope That the ambience which portrays Kalkan will remain the same.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:36:52 PM »
A thought provoking first post, apj0524.
Personally, I think you can still find the traditional Turkish experience staying in Kalkan but you have to look for it. The bars and restaurants will always cater for the masses - there are so many of them and compettion is fierce. The fact that there are so-called English breakfasts and other cuisines available is because of demand. Pure and simple. There are lots of resorts along the Turkish coast that remain unspoilt and more Turkish, if Kalkan has lost its charm there are other places to go.
The reason we keep coming back, irrespective of the changes that happen year on year, is the warm friendly welcome, the Turkish friends we have made over the years and the absolute familiarity of the place. In our experience it does not breed contempt.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »
I must add that when we ate in the one Indian/Chinese restaurant in Kalkan early season, all but one other couple eating were Turkish. They too should be entitled to a change of cuisine. The bottom line in Kalkan is that if the restaurant doesn't offer their customers good food or good value or what they want they won't be in business. There are so many places to eat that they just won't get return guests. It's not a place I'd want to be a restaurateur!

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »
KR  : re " There are so many places to eat that they just won't get return guests. It's not a place I'd want to be a restaurateur!"
Agree  , I was hoping to open up a fish & chip shop this year and have spam,  pie& mushy peas, Yorkshire pudding  and black pudding  on the menu as well  . The reason I had second thoughts was because  I did not want to put the likes of Aubergine and trio out of business,  so they can rest easy now   

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
Unfortunately I have dealt a severe blow to Kalkan's economy tonight, by shaving myself. I hope it recovers quickly and Ali & Muharem can feed their families tonight.......

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 05:12:05 PM »
Ha ha Brian. I think someone posted earlier this year that one of the restaurants in Kalkan offered battered fish & chips on its menu & it was delicious....just can't remember which restaurant it was.

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
Surely the fact that the noisy places aren't attracting clientele means a limited lifespan for them? I hope so, anyway. It seems odd to me that people try this line of business, particularly when you look at he demographic of visitors that are revealed by the KTLN survey. These places are never well received by Kalkan visitors if the opinions given on various forums are anything to go by. I just don't get it. Having said that, when I visited at the end of May I wasn't particularly aware of loud thumping music in any of the bars. Perhaps I will notice a difference when I return in July.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »
Back when we first came to Kalkan, Tapestry advertised Kalkan as having 'rooftop restaurants with smooth jazz in the background"!.

I wish...  ;D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
The only places playing really loud music used to be Moonlight, Mosquito and Chocolate. Back in May, I didn't really notice anywhere playing excessively loud music.

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »
I have been visiting Kalkan every year since 2005 with the exception of 2014.  We are coming back in July and it will be interesting to see the changes.  I too would have thought that the demograph wouldn't encourage bars with loud thumping music - but someone posted the other day that these places were frequented by the teenage children of villa owners! 
when we first came to Kalkan we had fantastic meals with jazz playing in the background at the Old Trading Post? it was so lovely that and Daphne's restaurant had us hooked from the start.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »
Musical taste is the most subjective thing. Loud music is generally only an issue if it isn't to your liking.
I'm a punk/indie kinda guy t heart and fully accept that there is no place for this in Kalkan other than on my iPod. Jazz and opera to me are just noise and I would prefer it if this was kept on people's MP3 players.
Controversially, I don't mind a bit of D&B and think young people should have places to go for this type of entertainment. I wouldn't go myself. The searchlights don't bother me either......but they aren't shining in my bedroom window!!

pw

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
Well said pw. I don't mean to offend, but some people I talk to seem to think that Kalkan should be for over 50's only. Live & let live I say  O0

D&B ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 05:18:42 PM »
Drum and Bass...you old fart :-* :-*
Please also remember a lot of the people frequenting these bars are Turkish.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 06:35:24 PM »
;-))))

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 07:32:04 PM »
I certainly don't think Kalkan should be geared to the over 50's but What I fail to understand is the curfew of 12.00 for live music but bar noise goes on until 4.00am! I must admit last year seemed a lot better it certainly wasn't every night, but the year before Chocolate Bar was thumping until at least 4.00am every single night. Yes there are young people and I know the young turkish waiters go out once they have finished working but I think there should be an earlier curfew, most people even on holiday want some peace at night.

I can't imagine what it was like for people staying at The Pirat, it is right next door to Chocolate. The searchlight, whilst I think it unnecessary doesn't bother me.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
I hate the searchlight. Sorry, it's just not Kalkan in my view. Still, it's hardly Marmaris.

Also don't understand the rules re time 'live' music must be turned off in restaurants as oppose to 'not live' music in bars/nightclubs, if that is what they are, been allowed to stay on much longer, maybe, it's just that I'm over 50 so don't understand these things anymore   ??? ::) ???

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »
Let's just say any music is fine, not everybody likes everybody else's taste, and it should be at volumes that don't intrude or make life difficult.

Hence volume shouldn't be so loud as to preclude conversation, nor should it be wound up to overcome next door's offerings!

As for style, this is, and always will be subjective - Whatever the style, there's always areas of it that are somewhat challenging both for the afficionado and the disinterested.

Personally, I just hate live music when I'm eating (or drinking)! (Though background of almost any description is fine as long as I can hear my companion(s) without lip reading.)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 04:14:27 PM »
This thread just goes to show..you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Being a musician who has played in some of the bars in Kalkan, it has always been a source of immense annoyance that live music has to stop at midnight, but recorded music can go on as late as anyone wants it (and is normally MUCH louder). 

Kas has a much more pragmatic view, and live music goes on there until the early hours...and no-one complains. Maybe that's because the majority of the audience are Turks, not Europeans!

That's the point...the bars and music are there just as much for the young locals as the tourists. If you don't like listening to  music, live or recorded, find a place that doesn't have any young local people.... if you can ...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
Kalkan has a charm all of its own

Started by Pam on Introduce Yourself

7 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 09:28:38 PM
by Pam
xx
Lost cat

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 12:56:27 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
LOST !

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 09:53:05 AM
by Blue Lizard
sad
LOST DOG

Started by sunnysideup on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 03:50:40 PM
by sunnysideup

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal