Author Topic: Antler's Seeing & Believing 2013 Holiday - Day 1, Sept 1st  (Read 6158 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Seeing & Believing 2013 Holiday - Day 1, Sept 1st
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:23:17 AM »
The plane dropped its nose & the fasten seat belt sign went out as we went through 26,000 feet. There was even less to do now as everything seemed to level out. The second Smirnoff & Tonic from earlier kicked in and I made the most of the little bit of recline that was available on this Jet2 flight to Dalaman.
All the months, weeks, days of waiting were history as the iPod, on shuffle, flipped to the next track. It was up to Carly Simon to waft me off to sleep if I was to avoid the boredom of the next four hours.
It had been more than horrible this morning, dropping Monty off at the kennels, only because this time he would be in there for his third birthday. Not sure that yellow labradors track their birthdays quite like we do, but it was important to Mrs A to recognise it and so he would have an extra large pigs ear on September 3rd; I would raise a glass to him then and thank him for his loyalty.
The only reason for staying awake now was to purchase a bit more "2 for £20" Duty Free, to fill the gaps with the purchases at World Duty Free at Leeds Bradford. But I detemined that would not be for a while, so I pressed repeat and let Carly waft over me again.
"Baby sneezes, mummy pleases, daddy breezes in.
So good on paper, so romantic, so bewildering
I know nothing stays the same, but if your willing to play the game
It's coming around again......."
And Kalkan was coming around again, for our 6th holiday in 5 years. This time, Jo & Rick are with us for their first time to Turkey and I wondered what they would think. Well, we like it, don't we? No we don't, we love it.
Mrs A did so much research to find the right place to make our home for the next 14 days, and after many hours on Owners Direct, she came up trumps with this Villa in the old town. The minute she showed me, I said "Yes!" We were cautious of going back to Kalkan again and doing something "samey", so this villa, in a part of Kalkan we had not stayed before, seemed to tick that box - and big time. It looked a bit tired and dated in the photographs, but we were prepared to sacrifice that for this location.
So, when the agent let us know that the villa was being renovated for the new season, you can imagine our delight when the new photos were put up on the OD website. The family squealed with glee at the sight of the spanking new, bright red kitchen, the large fridge for the cocktails up on the roof terrace and the re-tiled pool. It made us yearn to be there all the more. Which ever way we looked at it on google earth, it just seemed to tick all the boxes for us.
Thirty eight minutes after touchdown, the minibus pulled out of the Airport complex and at 10.20pm that wonderful view came around the bend. Up the steep steps onto the pool terrace and that first key turn of the holiday.......
Stomaches were rumbling and the concenus was a takeaway pizza. Oz Odana was open when we drove by, but now closed, so a short stretch further and Foto Pizza came up trumps with 4 medium pizzas, garlic bread and chips - great "that'll soak up the booze fodder". Oli, Rick and I toasted a Happy Holiday over our first long, cool Efes as the pizzas were prepared. TL107, between the 7 of us - something just under a fiver each.
We dopped Now 85 onto the iPod docking station and I was like a kid at Christmas opening all the (self closing) kitchen units, checking out the utensils for our stay. Wow, real nice wine glasses, still in their original boxes, I was sure we would be OK.
And now, at 7am, the birds are chattering in the tree behind me as the sound of the water circulates in the pool. Down the path to my left looks like Kaptans Restaurant, we know Oz Odana is up to the right - and a short, level walk brings you out to the Taxi Rank, past Isos Kitchen.
But I am not alone here on the terrace, I have company. A large, black and white cat curled up on a sun bed is now cleaning himself as the first rays of sunshine set fire to the villa roofs higher up the hill.
This feels good. Very, very good.
And I also think it feels very good for a black and white, furry friend, now calling me for some food. Or maybe, just for some love. Something tells me he is going to be totally spoiled this Holiday. And why not - afterall, we are.
Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11548.0

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Re: Antler's Seeing & Believing 2013 Holiday - Day 1, Sept 1st
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:40:30 AM »
Just me and the pool water as the sun came up this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnj7ZHEmMDA

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Good to know you have safely arrived and have made a very good choice of villa.  I hope you will be remembering to take photos again this year to add to the Gallery on the Forum.

I know how you feel taking your dog to kennels.   We have to do that in two weeks time - did it for the first time this June when we went to Kalkan.

Looking forward to hearing more about your time in Kalkan and how the family members find it for their first visit.   With  the combination of Kalkan, the amazing villa and your cooking it is hard to imagine they won't love the whole experience.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »
Just me and the pool water as the sun came up this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnj7ZHEmMDA

Morning,

Tried to watch your vid on YouTube but it won't play, it says 'Private video' ????
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
Sorry onelove, i will make it public.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »
There you go, I am told it is there.......

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »
Soooooooooooooooo great to have you back ;D ;D ;D    Alas, due to financial constrictions, no Kalkan for me this year, first time not been back in 5 years :'( :'( :'(  But, reading your post I almost feel I am there, really looking forward to reading more, have a wonderful stay and give B/W puss cat a stroke from me :) :) :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:35:53 AM »
......and breathe!,
Antler, you are home and your whole holiday is stretching out before you.
Looking forward to reading all about your stay and vicariously living the Kalkan dream.
Lucky you.
Say hello to Mrs A, Oli and Beth from me and BH :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
There you go, I am told it is there.......

Thanks Antler.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »
Way to go Antler...enjoyed your first instalment...(you must name the cat...let us know ;) )
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »
Hooray Antler is back in Kalkan!

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
So looking forward to your daily posts Antler and with the 'live action' additions even better!

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »
What a view indeed!
Enjoy your holiday.
Jo

PS Will be there myself in 13 days.  Can't wait.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
Just caught up with your posts Antler. We stayed just below you the last two years so know exactly how convenient it is - and know all the neighbourhood cats - give them a stroke from me too!! 8) 8) 8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's Seeing is Believing 2013 Holiday in Kalkan - a trial video?

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 11:35:04 AM
by antler
xx
Antler's Seeing & Believing - 2013

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 07:14:20 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 8 - Sept 8th

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 06:23:35 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 4 - Sept 4th

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Food ''96

Views: 4446
By: winlaton mag
Meis