Author Topic: Antler's Holiday - Day 8 - Sept 8th  (Read 2438 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Holiday - Day 8 - Sept 8th
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:40:09 AM »
The first visitor to call in yesterday was our Master Chef, Kazim. I had emailed him thanking him for the incredible dining experience the other day and asking about the name of the red pepper paste he had talked about. Rather than respond to email, there he was on the patio, with a gift of a jar of the paste in his hands. What a star, what a man!

No sooner had Kazim left, then Mehmet was calling my name coming up the Villa steps.  During my shave on Friday evening, he mentioned he was going to Islamlar to buy fresh trout and would I like some? Would I heck?! Here they were, 8 small trout in a bag and a grinning Mehmet.

So, a slight change of plan and instead of donning the clean t-shirt for lunch at Fenner with the others, on went the Outback and half an hour or so later, the freshest trout enjoyed on our patio with a simple potato salad – and glass of Lal. Here’s a short video of them sizzling away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmzimoy434

They must have smelled good, as the fumes wafted up the side of the Villa onto the patio of a villa further up the hill. A lady, wrapped in her beach towel, called down “Where did you get the fish? They smell gorgeous?!” To which I replied “From my hairdresser….”

I am sure she would have thought “Stupid man!”

The Young Ones  returned from lunch at Fenner.  For a very brief moment, I almost felt cheated for not being there, as they relayed the tale of their lunch and the incredible value and setting that made it so enjoyable for them.

It had been an early start for me, popping down to the harbour to enjoy the scenes as the restaurateurs hosed down their premises, with some chill out music filling the narrow streets. I studied the blackboards with the “Special of the Day” and it certainly sounded as if you got high-end stuff for a little short of TL50 a main these days.

During the morning, the family had chosen to wind the narrow streets shopping as I watched the boats go out from the patio. The sea was still perfectly still and the sound of water trickling as it filtered drifted me into a slumber under the sail by the pool, only to be woken by the sound of the family chatting coming up the steps. Oli & Ricks purchase of 4 T’s for not much over TL100, from the shop down by the harbour, was impressive and much more up-to-date than the Market. One particular shop is a firm favourite with Oli and I bet he makes another visit this holiday (and hopefully, takes his Dad!)

The afternoon was spent enjoying a catch-up with Mr & Mrs Soon-to-Be, in and around the pool, as we made plans for the next day or two, ending in an iPod moment as the sun slid down behind the hill around 7.30pm. The pool terrace comes into its own, here, after 3pm as the heat slowly fades and you have sun slipping down to the left of the D400, where the hill is much lower (not that I am a sun worshiper or anything!!)

As I turned on the hob to start dinner, Oli appears, wearing a T from his new purchase; very smart indeed. “We’re off to Kaya, then Kleo – see you later…..”

Dinner was simple. Harissa Lamb Stew with Orzo. The chickpeas, added for the last 15 minutes of the cooking, soak up some of the juices so it is not so thin. But the even better bit, we felt, was the orzo, which included a handful of chopped fresh parsley, fresh mint, a few chopped spring onions and some lemon juice.  Delicious, fresh & tasty.

As we finished our meal, Rick commented “That was the best meal I’ve had this holiday” and I was grateful – and a little bit embarrassed! – for the feedback.

Oli & Beth came up the steps as I finished my glass of red by the pool, watching one brilliantly bright star that has been shining all week, high above Kalamar Bay.
“How was your meal”, I asked?

His facial expression said it all, followed with “Oh Dad…………”

Satisfied Customers all round, then!

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11571.0
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:43:42 AM by antler »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Antler's Holiday - Day 8 - Sept 8th
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
Fish from your hairdresser...? Only in Kalkan :)
Oh Antler, your days seem to be galloping by, I will be bereft when you go home :( :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
Keep the reports coming Antler.   I could almost smell those trout sizzling away.

I don't normally get up as early as you in the morning but in Kalkan it is such a delight to see the sunrise that I am often found on my  bedroom balcony with a glass or juice or ayran watching for the sun coming over the horizon.  I love to see the light first catch the top of the hill with the mast and then gradually spread over the houses and the olive trees until the whole of Kalkan is bathed in light (as you described in one of your blogs this week).   

It sounds as if when I arrive in a weeks time (not counting days of course!!) that I should be up and ready on my balcony by 7.15 or I will miss the magic of watching the light spread.

I am fairly sure it is Felicity I sometimes see running past on our new side road.   I haven't met you Felicity but I much admire your will power.   Looks to be keeping you much trimmer than me.   Despite the obvious benefits I think I may not be doing any running in Kalkan.   My exercise at that time of the morning has been to get as far as the balcony.   

I am continuing to enjoy the videos Antler.   They really do make Kalkan seem closer.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
Tortoise lady, I wouldn't worry about the running. I only manage to run up the hill to Gempa Supermarket, then collapse as if having a heart attack, so grab an Efes quick, incase it is the last one.....

The light is even more amazing tonight. It is a new moon and the sunset was so pink. We are just back from a day at sea with Yildiz 2, stopping for a Mojito at Cafe Leon on the way back. Chef is off tonight, so its a Vita, Foto, Ozadana delivery service....while we enjoy an amazing sky by the pool.

Happy Sunday - still!

Antler

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 2 - Sept 2nd

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 06:57:47 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 7 - Sept 7th

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 04:27:50 PM
by Joeyloveskalkan
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 9 - Sept 9th

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 07:15:54 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 4 - Sept 4th

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal