Author Topic: Connecting flight  (Read 6540 times)

Offline csivegas-rob

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Connecting flight
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:32:52 PM »
Please ignore my ignorance but your advice and guidance is needed again!
We have just booked flights for January to sort out our newly purchased apartment, we are flying with Turkish Airlines with a connecting flight at Istanbul. Does the luggage get automatically transferred to the internal flight once the Heathrow-Istanbul leg is complete? We have 1 3/4 hour between the two flights so it will probably be tight, any hints?!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13527.0

Offline Davs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Connecting flight
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »
You will not see your luggage again until Dalaman airport where it will be subject to examination by customs. You will, however, complete passport formalities on arrival at Istanbul Ataturk airport before passing through to domestic departures. An hour and 3/4's should be sufficient time to catch your connecting flight from our experience.
By the way, domestic arrivals and international arrivals at Dalaman are now in the same terminal whilst some restructuring work is ongoing and you will be guided through to the carousel to collect your cases by airport staff.
Enjoy your new apartment.

Offline csivegas-rob

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up for me, it is reassuring to know that we won't have to panic about collecting our luggage and catching our connecting flight.
Really helpful. Thanks.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »
I have done this route with a similar connecting time and I did not make it! The flight was 30 mins late, the queue to get through passport control horrendous and its then a good 10 min walk/run!  to the other terminal, where you then have to go through a another security/bag scanner.  TA did provide overnight accommodation and I was on the morning flight to Dalaman.  My advice would be don't be surprised if it happens and be prepared, take a toothbrush and wear shoes you can run in.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »
I know some terminals are enormous (Dubai, for example), but running shoes and a toothbrush?

Just how far do you need to run? >:D

And what happens if you're a 'normal' sort of person who can't?

No wonder they call us SLC (Self Loading Cargo)!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline csivegas-rob

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Thank you for the added info.
We arrive in Istanbul at 5am so hopefully this will allow time to get across from one terminal to another that time in the morning.
Thanks again

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »
We travelled from Dalaman to Stansted, via Sabiha Gökçen airport with Pegasus yesterday.
I received a text advising to be at the airport three hours before take off. A bit difficult if you are flying from Dalaman first.
It was a nightmare journey. Horrendous queues through passport control. No extra checks were being made and all the booths were manned, so I can't really understand why there were that many people queuing. Lots of shouting and screaming, as people tried to push in. It was really kicking off at times.
We inadvertently found ourselves in the fast track queue. People were managing to get through without paying, but I was loathe to take the chance and be sent to the back of the queue, so Colin vaulted over the barrier to buy cards. 30tl each.
We finally got through and on to security. After that our flight time was past and it didn't appear on the information board, so we thought we had missed it.
Then came an announcement of our flight boarding, so we ran like mad to the gate. There were a few passengers who boarded together to be greeted with very hostile looks from the other people, some of whom had flown from Ercan in Northern Cyprus, and had been sitting on the plane waiting for two hours.
We sat waiting for about another 30 minutes before take off.
As much as I hate to say it, it makes the Thomas Cook winter flights direct to Antalya much more attractive!

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 08:22:47 AM »
The explosion in Turkey last night and the investigations yesterday (at politicians house!) may have something to do with the tight security.  :'(

I don't think I'll ever be going to Kalkan during the winter unless they start flying to Dalaman!!
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Offline 9yearsinkalkan

• Villa Elsa, Kalamar Bay
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »
Hi csivegas-rob

I am flying into Ataturk Istanbul from London Heathrow via Turkish Airlines at 05:15 on Tuesday 8th November and my connection down to Dalaman is at 07:00. This may be a very similar flight to yours, so I will post details on how all progressed when I am in Kalkan next week.
I did this trip last winter and had no issues, in fact I got through to the domestic terminal in time to sit down and drink an overpriced glass of Efes before boarding the flight to Dalaman.
Not sure my body clock agreed with my choice of beverage that early in the day, but I reconciled it to myself by saying I was on holiday.......

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 09:23:50 AM »
Thanks. I would be interested to know if Ataturk airport is experiencing the same long queues.
Good luck!

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 09:39:40 PM »
I have to agree I've done this a few times, It's a long journey. Plus missed
the connecting flight, our bags made it though and we was put up in a hotel
For the night .. The titanic ! Not a great start.
Last year we flew to Antayla and then drove to Kalkan.
We stayed the night in a beautiful hotel nice spa ..
Then drove to Kalkan the next morning, I even preferred the drive.
The  ladies that are married to Stirling moss wannabes will know what Im talking about .
P x

Offline csivegas-rob

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Thanks 9yearsinkalkan,
We are on exactly the same flight schedule, we have never flown with Turkish Airlines before so all feedback would be greatly received.
Have a great trip, hope all goes well.
Thanks again

Offline 9yearsinkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 12:45:23 PM »
Hi Rob, apologies for the delay in replying

You mentioned you will be travelling on the same flight so much of this will be relevant.
We took off at 22:45 ( as opposed to the scheduled time of 22:35 ).....This is the last flight out from Heathrow Terminal 2, so I would hope that if all ran smoothly during the day then the flight would leave pretty much on time..
Touched down a couple of mins after 5:00 am ( so 13 mins ahead of schedule)
Got to passport control at approx 05:20 walking quickly, ( try to pre book seats online towards the very front of the plane, so that you are one of the first to exit the plane......I noticed at passport control that there were only 3 desks of the 19 available for Other Nationalities open....possibly because it was very early.
When through passport control, walk straight on past the duty free area, you will come to sliding doors which open out onto the main arrival area....Turn LEFT and keep walking, past a set of down escalators, then go through a set of glass doors, you will then see a travelator going slightly uphill, take these then turn right at the top, you will then see another set going slightly uphill, also take these, then take the next smaller uphill set.
After these you will then be walking towards the Domestic Terminal ( all of this is signposted ). Turn slightly leftish and walk past the domestic airlines ticket desks to the security area where your hand luggage and yourself will be scanned, you are then through to the domestic gates and eating / drinking area.....I actually got through by 05:45, for the connecting flight at 07:00 ( but I did know where I was going ).....even managed to to jump start my system with an Efes at The Greenport Bar......
You may find that your connecting flight to Dalaman is leaving from gates that are downstairs below ground level, so check for your gate and see where it is.
So all went pretty smoothly, Turkish Airlines are 1st class and Myself and wife have travelled with them on many occasions.
One final irony is that when I got to Dalaman, I found out that my main luggage hadn't left Heathrow....!!!!!!!!..( baggage handling issue, not Turkish Airlines ).....my luggage was flown out the next day and transferred to Kalkan by private transfer free of charge.....
Will be doing the same journey again on 26th December.

Good luck and congrats on your new apartment purchase.....a great decision

Offline csivegas-rob

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
9yearsinkalkan,

Wow! thanks for the information that is  reassuring and really helpful.

Sounds like we should use Turkish airlines more in the future, not many airlines are that efficient.

I will take a copy of your post with me as it will act as a site map.

Enjoy your Boxing Day trip, can't wait until January so we can finally use our new apartment for the first time.

Thanks again

Offline 9yearsinkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »
Hi csivegas-rob......

Just a follow up to see if your airport transfer from Istanbul down to Dalaman this month went smoothly as the timings were quite tight.
As I type, Turkish newspaper Hurriyet Daily News is reporting cancellations from Istanbul due to further heavy snowfall in that area.

Offline csivegas-rob

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »
Hi 9yearsinkalkan,

Your directions were invaluable, Thank you.

We Left home for Heathrow on the Friday in plenty of time as it had started to snow heavily and was predicted to get  a lot worse, luckily The M4 moved slowly and safely and we arrived in enough time to have a relaxing meal.
Flight from Heathrow to Istanbul was on time and as everyone has mentioned Turkish Airlines were simply amazing.
When we arrived at Istanbul we power walked our way through to the Domestic Terminal (with a copy of your directions to hand) and avoided the queues at passport control.
On passing security my hand luggage got taken to one side and it got pointed out that I had left a metal tape measure in my bag, I thought I had put in the hold luggage, we needed to measure for curtain rails, Furniture e.t.c. as we collected our keys to the apartment for the first time.
The security staff were great, they guided me to check my hand luggage into the hold and held a space to check me back through security and onto the connecting flight without a hitch.

The return Flight on the Monday was more of an Adventure!
We left Kalkan at 4am to heavy rain, on the approach to Dalaman we hit a huge storm with flash lightning. Our car hire driver was late collecting the car and we had 30 minutes to check in, get through security and make our return domestic flight to Istanbul. We just made  it to find out that the flight had been delayed for 30 minutes which gave us time to catch our breath after rushing around.
It turned out that the plane had been struck by lightning in the storm and had to be checked thoroughly by the ground crew.
We finally boarded and took off after a three and a half hour delay, it became obvious we wouldn't make our connecting flight.
on landing in Istanbul we did another power walk across to the Turkish Airlines desk to be told the next flight would be an evening flight or if were to run there was a Heathrow flight leaving in 32 minutes, we took the sprinting option and after well organised but very busy security and passport run we made the gate by the skin of our teeth by running flat out across the terminal. We landed safely at Heathrow only an hour late however our luggage remained at Istanbul - The airline dealt with this quickly and efficiently and it was delivered to our home in Wiltshire the following evening.
All in all we would definitely recommend Turkish airlines just wishe they did direct flights!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Flight available

Started by Harry on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 05:09:38 PM
by Harry
xx
flight seating

Started by clara 50 on Flights and Travel

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 12:36:08 PM
by Skunk
xx
Flight prices

Started by Brooksie on Flights and Travel

65 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 08:29:52 PM
by RosiB
xx
Flight cancelled

Started by baclava on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2018, 08:44:51 AM
by Haybo

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal