Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Would not return to Kalkan  (Read 21339 times)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Would not return to Kalkan
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
Well I''ve given it a while since Marengo''s original post but I still feel driven to reply. Marengo says they ''dutifully'' booked the holiday in Kalkan which sounds like a really bad start as we book our holidays with joy. They had a totally overnight flight which we would avoid like the plague unless it was very, very cheap.
He (I assume Marengo is male, apologies if Marengo is female) talks about the shops selling ''knock off gear'' but ''genuine fakes'' are something Turkey, rather than Kalkan, is known for. He talks about being ''badgered by staff'' outside restaurants and despite many, many visits we wouldn''t describe the banter we have with staff outside restaurants as ''badgering''. It has always been good natured and has never been oppressive or over pushy and we have now walked past some restaurants without eating there many, many times and are still met with courtesy. Perhaps it is the way we react to them.
He talks about people ''getting pink'' but I didn''t realise this was specific to Kalkan. Having travelled much of the world it seems to me it something that happens to people of many races who have pale skin and are in the sun for the first time in a while.
I have never ever had a ''fry up'' in Kalkan and whilst Efes may not win a beer award it goes down ok on a hot day whilst overlooking the lovely view of the bay. He also obviously didn''t meet any of the warm and kind Turkish people we have met there.
I think sometimes people who don''t do research before booking think they are going to a very small fishing village which is totally unspoiled and with only a handfull of restaurants but this isn''t Kalkan now. I have visited many tiny villages in the past and have enjoyed them but now chose Kalkan because it has developed beyond this and offers lots of choice.
I look forward to Marengo''s reply to an earlier post and finding out where in the world he has enjoyed visiting.

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 10:25:45 PM »
Couldn''t have put it better Kalkan regular, maybe Marengo was expecting something different and was therefore disappointed. I''ve been going to Kalkan for 10 years and have seen the changes but the basic things we fell in love with are still there, I find it really hard to believe someone can see it like that.

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 09:10:01 AM »
I would agree with many of the points you make Kalkan Regular  - "pink and peel" is something we Brits are very good at whenever or where ever the sun shines for more than two minutes. Cheap flights tend to be at poor times,
"Knock off Gear" = Genuine fakes = great quality at great price .... and the problem is?
However I did see an increase in the "badgering" that, although friendly banter,   became annoying  - i will also stress that, compared to Kusadasi, this is nothing!

I did have a fry up (at Breeze)  it was great,   and again the problem is ?
 One place will never be all things to all men. 

I will not be returning to Kalkan for other reasons, but have researched my alternative holiday and know: Where it is,
How long it takes to get there, ( note to self  - take book to read)
What time the flights are, (note to self take watch)
I have confirmed it will be hot, (note to self - pack the larger of my two sun hats )
I acknowledge the food will be mainly Egyptian,(take imodium)
The hosts will not be English but can speak English, (note to self  learn phrase  "Can i have a beer please")
the sea will be wet, (note to self - don''t forget how to swim)
the sky will be blue, etc etc

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »
I would simply like to know the place that Morengo is keeping quiet about that is presumably so much better than Kalkan.  I would certainly like the opportunity to try it out.

Offline Gary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »
That would be telling it get over run by pink skinned Brits and waiters pestering you to have a fry up watching sky sports you nether know.

and he/she thinks they got it bad, they ought to come here to Fethiye and surrounding areas i try to avoid going into town in the summer, roll on the winter back to normality

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »
What''s wrong with a fry-up and sky t.v.? I like a kebab when I come out the pub in england

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 10:31:12 PM »
No name bar, Utopia and the Swan all have Sky sports T.V., The Swan also does a good fry-up as well, it''s nice, you can watch your favourite team with one of Sonya''s lovely fry-ups at the same time there. you can even have a cup of tea or perhaps a glass of beer with it, very civilsed.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 12:14:45 AM »
A sad fact of life is that whether Turkey, Greece, Spain or Timbuktu, the indigenous population will look to profit from the ever burgeoning throng of tourists, be they Brits, Americans, Germans or dare I say it Russians, who can or should blame them? If it means Sky T.V. fried bread (with trimmings) vienna schnitzel, blueberry muffins, then sadly it will happen, I hate the idea of karaoke, pork scratchings and kiss me quick hats as much as the next person.........and? if it happens in Kalkan to the point where it becomes too odious then I WILL move on!
  I was once censured by a (once) member of this forum for suggesting the football shirt brigade should be kept at bay, I have to apologise (or do I?) to those who it is their chosen attire, I am still of the opinion that they belong at football stadia, all of the above belong elsewhere, I will choose to boycott premises where they are offered . . . . .well go on then I may, . .  just may, when living there full time succumb to a "full English" occasionally.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Gary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 07:50:19 AM »
What''s wrong with a fry-up and illegal Sky TV? 

The same thing that is wrong with bingo, karaoke, hand-pulled Tetleys beer, pork scratchings, McDonald''s, kiss-me-quick hats, saucy postcards (ooh er missus), “I love Diana” t-shirts, the Union Jack flag, cloth caps, jellied eels, whippets, The Daily Star, traffic cones, caravans, the Brighouse & Raistrick Brass Band, candy-floss, amusement arcades, a small fair with dodgems and a helter-skelter, and an old ex-Butlins redcoat telling corny jokes in a Working Mens Club on a Saturday night.

Every one of these things is OK in the right place (except caravans of course, which can never be justified in any circumstances).  Kalkan just isn''''t that place.

where is this place then john, i have installed satellite for nearly thirty years and 26 of that in the uk for Turkish and Kurdish People you could say this is in reverse roll where i have installed digiturk in the U.K. i think it is what you are a custom to where i came from we had 3 cafes owned and run by Turkish doing your black pudding and bacon i never seen a kebab house owned and run by English /European meaning born and bred in the UK but seen Turks doing Fish and chips fry ups etc here. head room is right in what he says, is this why we came here i don''t think so

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 09:06:31 AM »
Hi,

I can see this one meandering on and off topic, perhaps we should split this / create a new thread in the Debate section to keep the holiday report as it was.

Cheers

Jon  :)

Offline kalkan wife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »
Yes, there are good and ''bad'' features of all locations. All I know is when I wake in the morning and stand on my balcony looking at Kalkan Bay and the Islands I invariably get a feeling of well-being and calm. It certainly beats my old view of rubbish strewn streets, miserable looking uncommunicative commuters and rain, rain, rain in London! 

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »
The Sky TV threads have been split and moved into Everything Else  :D

Offline chunky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
As a Kalkan regular and apartment owner I have to say I agree with most things you say and probably wouldn''t return if I was new to Kalkan.  The place is really annoying me now :- taxi drivers, restaurants, builders etc all so GREEDY. But yes it''s our fault. We pay their silly prices. As a Turk said to me last week, "there are always new English who haven''t been here before!"

The prices are ridiculous. More expensive than London for a lot of things. When buying a vaccuum cleaner recently, one shop owner wanted 450 Lira for a crappy Rowenta, when we laughed he just smiled probably knowing some other British mug will pay it. The Turks are getting greedier and greedier and we stupid English keep on  paying. Trio restaurant gets great reviews on this site. I went there had off wine, a really bad main course that I had to send back, rubbish service and prices that are extortinate.

The building work is ridiculous especially when you see  places still for sale that were for sale 4 years ago , but they will keep building more to  become rich quick.
I am finding myself avoiding roads to avoid the really annoying couple of men in the main road who try to get you into restaurants And as for Taxi drivers and handbag shops don''t even get me started.

Now after all this negativity. I still love Kalkan for the views and the old town. But and it is a big BUT, I don''t know for how much longer.

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 09:33:57 PM »
Hi chunky.
 The weather was lovely though

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »
I still like kalkan although it''s certainly changed a lot. I guess the worst thing to contend with is the mass building that''s gone on, and looks set to continue over the next few years. Not only does all this concrete not only spoil what we all originally loved about the place, the quiet ruralness, but also this over supply of property.  I read on another thread that property  prices are being reduced by 40%, of course if they sell them they''ll just build more, and then what will kalkan be? A mini marmaris?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hoping to return to Kalkan.

Started by clara48 on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 01:54:37 PM
by clara48
smiley
Hi, planning to return to Kalkan next year

Started by summerdreams on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 08:26:04 PM
by summerdreams
xx
Transfer Share from Kalkan . 25th Jan 2010 and Return from Dalaman 22nd Feb

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 08:19:08 AM
by Buster
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal