Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Would not return to Kalkan  (Read 21346 times)

Offline merengo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Would not return to Kalkan
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
Imagine this will get shot down in flames but I will go for it anyway.

Kalkan was suggested to us by a friend who had visited four years ago.  We dutifully booked a week in an apartment during August 2008.  Flight arrived at 4am or so and by the time we got through baggage etc and got the cab to Kalkan it was around 7am. Some of the views on the drive in were very good however our initial impression of Kalkan was that it resembled a building site.  Unfinished roads, diggers and construction sites litter the hills as the expansion up and out continues.  Arrived at our apartment block which was stunning, nice room and a great view of Kalkan Bay which is great as long as you look directly at the bay and not left or right.  The week went down hill really from there on the initial walk into the picturesque fishing villiage we saw signs advertising "Lorry Drivers Breakfasts" and Sky Sports logo''s up all over the place.  Eager to experience the Moonlight bar based on discussions on this forum I couldn''t believe the place stank inside and was impossible to sit outside comfortably.  Evidently the shell of the old town is lovely with winding streets and turns and twists all over the place but it is lined with restauraunts badgering you to look at menu''s or shops selling knock-off gear. We had some nice meals out notably Alernatif which I would recommend to anyone unfortunate enough to visit Kalkan.  Generally I thought the place was quite expensive for what you were getting (one caveat would be the little green grocers next to the smile supermarket by the taxi rank which was fantastic value for what you were buying) Took a boat trip which was fun for an hour but extremely repetitive with not much going on around Kalkan Bay (on the one we went on)

In sum; If you like a holiday were you can meet loads of other Brits in faux classy surroundings, get pink and be able to talk English whereever you want then Kalkan is the place to go. Although there is syngery in any tourist/host country relationship it would seem to me that the Brits have really destroyed what Kalkan Bay was and the kind of hidden gem it would have been for people travelling around Turkey or the locals holidaying within their own country.  I am sure if Turkey join the EU the floodgates will really be opened. 

Personally will be avoiding an EFES and a fry-up next year.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2299.0

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Would not return to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:16:51 PM »
Did you research kalkan before you booked ie this forum, if not I can understand what you thought when you came over the hill,with the diggers and all the work for the new road.
the sky sports banners,I think I have only seen one,at the moonlight maybe,cant comment on the moonlight Ive never been in,not my sort of place.
The lorry drivers breakfast,I have seen one sign down by the harbour,I think its a wind up !
some hassle off eating houses,but nothing like some places in turkey or europe.
Ive never been hassled to buy "knock off "goods unless you include the genuine fakes at the market !
How kalkan must have changed in six weeks !

Neil. ???
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline merengo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »
Fair play - I probably shouldn''t have pluralised the statements about Sky Sports Banners and the Breakfast but they are good examples of tangible imagery to describe my overall impression.

I would imagine, as you are alluding, that it hasn''t changed in six weeks.  However my impression is as valid as any other one.  Although I concede that on a forum called enjoykalkan.com I will be in the minority.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »
Hi Merengo,

Welcome to EnjoyKalkan. Whilst you may well be in the minority your opinion is as valued as any other.

Hope you enjoy the website

Jon  :)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
Hiya Merengo, I value your comments,as it was your first visit I think it is interesting to hear what you think of kalkan, If you do visit kalkan again your views may or may not change.
A lot of us on this forum like to think of it as paradise,when really we know its not and things are not good all the time.

take care on your trips elsewhere.                               
                                                                                 Neil :)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 07:00:50 PM »
Absolutely Merengo you are entitled to your opinion and views of Kalkan - and I''m sorry that you were disappointed in your holiday..... It is good to hear negative (or not so positive) views on Kalkan - because we are all individuals and therefore one size does NOT fit all - so thank you for being brave enough to put your head over the parapet and post your report!  I must agree that, compared with other places in Turkey (and the world) I agree with Fidimax that the skysports and lorry drivers breakfasts are few and far between (if not 1 and 1!!) but of course it does add to your overall impression.  Perhaps you might like somewhere more turkish to holiday in - various places spring to mind - Akayaka, kas, Kekova (where the best boat trips (IMHO) are to be found) or even Gocek might be more up your street....

Personally speaking - it is as close to paradise as I can get - but I agree it does have its not so good points - but then taking all that into account - for me - it certainly floats my boat - but appreciate your opinion!  Thank you and enjoy your holidays elsewhere in Turkey or elsewhere in the world!   :D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »
Different strokes for different folks... no accounting for taste... one man''s meat is another man''s poison... and other assorted cliches...

Thanks for dropping by, Merengo... and enjoy the rest of the world. We do, two or three times a year, and still keep coming back to Kalkan!   ;D

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
The title of this website is not an instruction!  It was created for those that enjoy Kalkan.  There may one day be a site called www dot avoidkalkan dot com, but until then, sorry to hear of your disappointment and good luck finding a Brit-free and Sky TV-free zone.

Offline ian

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »
Dear oh dear Morengo you really sound hard to please! In my 50 odd years on this planet I have travelled pretty widely, the only continent I have yet to visit is Australia - I have travelled throughout Western Turkey, had the misfortune to visit some really grotty parts of the costas in Spain, hated Portugal, spent a miserable couple of weeks in Mexico (what a dump Cancun is!), loved Northern Sweden in winter. Had the misfortune of experiencing French ''''hospitality'''', loved my visit to Poland etc, etc. In short there are good places to visit and plenty of bad, we keep returning to Kalkan every year because we have a totally different impression of it to you. There is 1 Sky sports banner that I can remember, cant ever remember seeing signs about lorry driver breakfasts, but hardly a big deal.

ENJOYKALKAN SAFETY

Additional text removed under the Mutual Member Respect Policy and warning issued.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:17:31 AM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline Hilary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »
we came home from Kalkan on tuesday. We loved it!!. One of the best bits was wandering through the town in the evening and choosing a restaurant. The food was really something else. Best restaurants for us were the Korsan Fish Terrace and the aubergine. What would make the place perfect would be a sandy and accessible beach within walking distance (my son isn''t a confident swimmer yet so steep drop on town beach and ladders at beach clubs nnot suitable) however we just got into the pool and relaxed. I cannot understand why anyone couldn''t just fall in love with Kalkan
pople great, weather great, food great etc etc !!!!!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »
Hilary,
So pleased you enjoyed your well deserved break in Kalkan and hope your "batteries" are recharged.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:57:01 AM »
It''s all in the eye of the beholder....sure Kalkan is not perfect but where is ???? for us coming around the bend on the new road and stopping to admire the new view of Kalkan was truly amazing although I don''t envy the villa owners who now have a road in their back garden !!!!

I didn''t see to much evidence of the "kiss me quick mentality" that some people seem to think is creeping in and thought the village was quiet for August..............

Offline Marni

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 01:24:02 PM »
Hi Merengo

Where do you like to holiday?  We absolutely love Kalkan but always like to hear about other resorts.

Regards
Margaret

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 08:44:52 PM »
hello Marengo....2 weeks ago we returned from Kalkan after our 4th visit......yes there have been changes since our first visit 4 years ago but it is still the special place it always was, good food, friendly people, lovely shops etc, etc......travelling with our 2 teenage daughters and this year their friends it certainly ticks all the boxes. As much as we love Kalkan we are always on the look out for other places and certainly don''t go for for the "tea like mother makes" resorts that litter the Med........any suggestions?

Offline johnl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
I joined this forum around 6 weeks ago and left a message that we were looking forward to returning to Kalkan in October after a 5 year break.We expect things to have changed,but,and it is a BIG but,if we were new to Kalkan  after reading these forums for 6 weeks i do not know if we would be coming! Warnings of high taxi fares and fights,roadworks scaring the hills,excessive noise from the roadworks,high prices,over enthusiastic "greeters" outside the restaurants etc etc... I know it cannot have changed that much but if i owned a property there or was in business, i would seriously be concerned over the negativity that is coming across.With the economic outlook as bleak as it is for next year, visitors will choose  with their wallets rather than their hearts.We have visited other places in Turkey and,while Kalkan is special, other resorts also have their attractions.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 08:25:51 AM »
I agree John.....I do not have any financial interest ie no property in Kalkan but think it is really sad to see such negativity on this site - although everyone is entitled to their opinion. We are not planning to return to Kalkan next year but not because we no longer like the place but it will be our first summer holiday without our daughters so "the world is our cockle!" However we love Turkey so much we are considering looking at other quieter options.....all suggestions gratefully received. Kalkan is not paradise, like everywhere it has its problems, you will see changes John but if the reason you are returning to kalkan is for the friendly atmosphere, relaxing nature of the place, not to forget the wonderful food! then hopefully you won''t be disappointed and will have a lovely holiday.

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 08:44:43 AM »
John
This is the first time ever that construction has continued throughout the season and that is purely for the completion of the road. This has had no effect on life in the town but i would imagine that it has been quite bad futher out, however next year all will be complete. As for the "greeters" though i don''t use many places i have always been told that they are not as pushy as most resorts Kalkan is really a relaxed place so don''t get the wrong idea from this site.

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 06:46:02 PM »
Well said John. Not a pretty picture is it!

Offline SianB

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 09:00:41 PM »
I have just returned from my third trip to Kalkan in the last year and wonder whether Marengo went to the same place as I did. Personally I find the views amazing and the people both friendly and hospitable. I was  fortunate to meet Turks and Europeans from Italy, Belgium, Holland and Germany as well as Brits. You only need to glance across the bookshelves to see literature from a wide range of countries.I certainly enjoyed using my French and German. There are a large number of Brits in Kalkan but they are in no way the only tourists.
As for the greeters, yes they exist outside some restaurants and  they want you to eat there but they respond well to a polite "no thank you." There is no unpleasant pressure unlike some resorts I have visited.
If Marengo visits again then please try some of the smaller, family-run establishments like: Eso''s Kitchen where Kuni and Esos and their staff will make you very comfortable with wonderful food and attentive service. On our last night our table was decorated with bouganvilla,fresh herbs and jasmine. Atlantis is also excellent with wonderful food and  lively banter from the owners Ozcan and Ercan and please try Moonlight Pension on the Kalimar Road (nothing to do with Moonlight Bar) where the atmosphere and food are outstanding.
Kalkan is special - a place where I arrive stressed and leave completely relaxed

Offline Hilary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
Kalkan is a very special place. We have enjoyed a wonderful holiday. The Korsan Apartments are really nice.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hoping to return to Kalkan.

Started by clara48 on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 01:54:37 PM
by clara48
smiley
Hi, planning to return to Kalkan next year

Started by summerdreams on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 08:26:04 PM
by summerdreams
xx
Transfer Share from Kalkan . 25th Jan 2010 and Return from Dalaman 22nd Feb

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 08:19:08 AM
by Buster
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal