Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Wishing my life away  (Read 17481 times)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Wishing my life away
« on: June 16, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
I'm sat minding my own business as you do on a Saturday when the World Cup has started and there's a match on practically at every given minute and Brian is determined to get the most out of the TV especially as he now qualifies for a free TV licence. Anyway day dream time and I look at my watch and realise that at this time next week God and Thomas  Cook willing we will be in Kalkan.
Checked today's corresponding flight and it left a little later than scheduled but what the heck it actually took off.
So will I have had my first Efes eaten my lunch unpacked my 25k Thomas Cook baggage allowance said hello to the cats ? I in all honesty don't know but watch this space and I'll let you know when I do.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13983.0

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Wishing my life away
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:09:25 AM »
Oh Joycie, not long now until you are here too, bet you can't wait!  :D :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »
Oh not long now Joycie, it seems like there are lots of EKers either in Kalkan or about to arrive very soon. You'll all have to walk round with your EK badges on  ;) Do they still do those I wonder?  :-\ :-\

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
Oh Jayne and Lizilu where’s the time gone?
I really ought to do some packing. I’ve read your wonderful reports and in my head I’m really organised but in reality haven’t got a clue. It must be the 70 word which is going round and round in my head . It’s like being on a roundabout that I can’t get off.
Kalkan will return me to reality and with everything organised I’ve really just got to turn up and enjoy! I THINK.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »
Not long Joycie!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:01:47 PM »
Were here Tommy Cook and James Martin got us here in good time half an hour early even we were driven to Kalkan at a rare pace and arrived in the heat of the day to begin my 70th birthday celebrations.
Decided to meander down to Town. Botanlk was our first port of call and after a lovely foaming Efes we decided Centers was our choice for our first meal. I had a lovely cheeseburger swilled down with a glass of red and Brian had a mushroom omelette and chips
We watched the boats comd home and then staggered up the town where I plonked myself in Bezigrans with  a brandy and lemonade while Brian went to the greengrocers for tomatoes and mushrooms to go with our illicit bacon smuggled in our case today.
Two red two white 12 Efes and a taxi sped us back to the Villa.
My troubles then began. Brian was going hypo. Florence Nightingale and I are not much of a match. I would cheerfully murder the patient given half a chance especially when I'm on my hands and knees trying to recover the chocolate biscuits which had somehow got under the bed. The state of them wouldn't be believed but needs must when the devil drives and when he comes out of his hypo he'll never know what state the biscuits were in. Jelly babies next cure desperation was really driving me now. Finally the light shine at the end of the tunnel and the patient became more comipis mentis.
He's asleep now and I'm falling on my eye pad trying to recall the day without recalling my evil side and the murder that was almost committed.
Oh well another day tomorrow and who knows what fun we'll get up to.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:21:42 AM »
Joycie fab report and hope Bri is on the mend now. Enjoy your special birthday celebrations.  :D Sorry that we have missed you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:25:32 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 06:36:24 AM »
What day is it today? Tuesday I think no Monday my better half informs me. Kalkan mode attacks you as soon as you arrive and the days become a lovely melee of doing a lot of nothing in the most fabulously non productive way.
I'm sitting on the balcony in this lovely Villa drinking a cup of tea and trying to remember yesterday's events with difficulty.
We woke up after a hectic night trying to stuff sugar down Brian and didn't talk much about the evenings events. Always find it better not to. Sat and ate our breakfast and remembered that Dave and More and Phil and Joy (yes another Joy) were coming to join us today.
It's a lovely friendship which has endured over 30 odd years and it was Dave who found Kalkan so we have a lot to thank him for.
Decided that we ought to get a few essentials so off to Carrefour. Through the door picked up a basket each of course I'd forgotten my list. Hadn't got. What we wanted in the fruit and veg so put our baskets back walked past the gleaming fish who were poking their heads out of the ice in the new fish dept back out the in door and down to the lovely greengrocers. It was hot so we went into the first one on the corner bought the biggest radish you've ever seen some red onions a lettuce and some beautiful cherries.
2 lira please and when you think that there are 6 lira to the pound you know how reasonable that is. Back to Carrefour biscuits to replenish the ones from under the bed tonic to go with the gin and various other items which we'd forgotten yesterday. Back to the Villa all sweaty from our exertions so coffee made we retired to the roof terrace for a little moaning about how hot it was.
More plane had taken off on time and like ours did it in about 3and a half hours. Stirling Moss was their driver but they arrived safe and sound and the holiday could begin.
Mandy had texted me to meet up that evening so we could talk about the finer points of my 70th.we went to Black and Gold after a delicious meal at Modi.
Byram excelled himself with the cocktails. We had met .Mandy and Paul in Kalkan a few years ago and they had flown out specially for my birthday with their lovely daughter Hannah. They hadn't eaten so they were off to Coriander we meandered home.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:48:16 PM »
Sounds like you are off to a flying start Joycie!  :laugh:

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 01:23:13 PM »
Yesterday was fabulous. We meandered down to the harbour and boarded Smile boat. There were none of us and fitted on the boat perfectly. Brian and I sat aft whilst the other sat at the front. We were soon off but out of the harbour it was very choppy. Whisper boat came racing up on the inside but we let him go we weren't in a hurry. It was difficult to moor because of the conditions but we found a sheltered cove not far from Kalamar and tied up with a little help from a gentleman in a motor boat. We had an Efes each quickly followed by a couple of glasses of wine. A little sleep and the most gorgeous lunch was served. Talking happily round the table it was called lovely atmosphere.
I didn't go in it was too choppy for me but I watched passengers from another boat frolicking in the water.
A little later delicious fruit was served and a little later still the best cup of tea in Kalkan with cake popcorn and biscuits.
I didn't have too much because Chef Kazim was coming and I didn't want to spoil our dinner.
We got back to the harbour about six  o'clock got in a taxi and were whisked home in a jiffy.
Kazim was in the Villa and the aroma from the open door was unbelievable. We showered and changed and went downstairs and sat outside. Mor and Dave had bought a bottle of sparkling wine for our anniversary so we switched it down and waited patiently for our food.
Eight o'clock was the allotted hour and nine of us sat down found the lovely dining room table in Villa Sultinyhe.
Five starters and each one was absolutely delicious. The main course was also to die for. Slow roasted lamb which fell off the bone and casserole chicken with roast potatoes broccoli and carrots. Mor had bought some mince sauce with her. Oh it was so divine. Then the baclava and ice cream. Oh wow what a meal.
Chef tidied up and washed up and we retired to the roof terrace for a drinky poo or two before we retired happy and fully red what a 49th wedding anniversary.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 01:49:33 PM »
Happy Anniversary you two what a lovely way to spend it!
Chef Kazim cooks up a veritable feast and we have been fortunate enough to have eaten what sounds like the same meal you guys had!
Enjoy the rest of your stay!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 10:23:49 PM »
So today was the big birthday with the bought in it. 70 no no no. Looks like I am so grin and bear it and enjoy.
After a wonderful day yesterday today was relax and enjoy. We spent the day by the pool. Lunch was the leftovers from last night's delicious meal and thoroughly enjoyed by all.
We decided to have a drinky poo at Bezigrans, They have the most delightful beagle pupand we watched him chewing somebodies shoe whilst we finished our drinks.
Down the road to Black and Gold and oh my the cocktails were unbelievable. Then a big box was delivered with a lovely lovely cocktail in it.He had decorated the bar with red balloons and I can't think of anywhere that would make so much fuss for a 70 year old.
We got a taxi to Aqua. It was busy but we had booked a table so all was well.
Ok chose stuffed mushrooms and sea bass with prawns. Oh it was do delicious. The music was lovely and we got up and danced. A bit of Zorba the Greek in the middle of the road fabulous.
Sweet was the most divine cake provided by   Mandy and Paul. Wow it was wonderful a free liqueur on the house taxi ordered and home.
Can't describe how I feel about the wonderful people who made my birthday so special.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:55 AM »
Oh Joycie happy birthday to you!  :D What a wonderful time you had by the sounds of it! Enjoy the rest of your holiday and loving your posts. X

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »
What a wonderful couple of days of celebrations. Loving your reports as always Joycie and a very happy belated birthday to you.  :-*

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
Lovely, happy days to remember Joycie!  :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 05:44:33 AM »
Oh dear 70 has arrived at an alarming rate. I wet myself laughing actually did and realised that tena ladies were on the horizon now.
Yesterday we packed a small suitcase and awaited the arrival of Abi travel to take us to Kas for the ferry to Meis. It arrived hang on time and the lovely drive on the coastal road was comfortable and speedy. We arrived handed our passports over and with some time to spare went for breakfast. It took ages to arrive and they apologized because they'd made cheese sandwiches instead of cheese omelettes.
It arrived and was lovely so we  got our suitcases and meandered down the harbour to the ferry. It was chaos not sure if that's the Turkish bit  of the Greek bit but after a bit of mayhem we stowed our luggage and boarded the ferry.
Meis was in sight and we went into the lovely little harbour it backed in we disembarked and joined the customs queue.
There was the most gorgeous young Greek/English policeman and we chatted and I thought his different it was to Turkish customs.
Through immigration and now to find our accomodation. Tried a signomi or two and people knew where it was and kept pointing us on. Just round the harbour the little shop knew exactly where we wanted and the lady behind the counter abandoned her post and proceeded to walk us through the narrow streets to our little studio apartments.
They are beautifully done very clean and for an overnight stay perfect. We left our luggage and went back for a stroll round the harbour. It was hot so we decided an Amstell might come in handy but More Brian and I had an Alpha beer each which were just as nice. Got to say Greece is more expensive than Turkey.
We sat there that long that it was time for lunch and the most delightful giant prawns in garlic. Oh my I can still taste them.
An afternoon siesta beckoned then another walk the other way and the most delicious ice cream sat watching the kids jump into the sea.
Showered changed and back out to the same restaurant(the one with the giant turtles) and a large pork chop appeared again delicious.

Then a wedding party came by boat into the restaurant and a lovely talented guy and we think his daughter did some fantastic Greek dancing.
It was getting late time to go what a lovely night. Got back to the apartment and couldn't get in. That wZ where I disgraced myself laughing. Brian went back to the little shop and a lovely guy came back with him and let us in.
Sleep beckoned and another fabulous day before it's back to our beloved Kalkan.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 06:53:09 AM »
Day 2 in Greece. Brian made a cup of. Tea with the tea bags we purchased yesterday.Another glorious hot da y so we got up packed our suitcase and went down to breakfast. It was served yourself but everything we wanted had been left on the table in the little lobby. Guess the owners had gone back to their lovely little shop. I had a toasted cheese and ham sandwich and a drink of orange juice.
We gathered the breakfast stuff together stowed our suitcases behind the desk and walked down to the shop to tell them we'd collect them about 2oclock.
It was hot and we needed more euros. It's certainly more expensive here than in Turkey but lovely in its own Greek special way.
The phrase it's all Greek to me comes to mind with the cash dispenser but the euros appeared and we walked round the harbour. Mor and Dave decided to go to the blue cave. Vassilis had said that today was perfect because there was no swell on the water. I thought better of it I'd watched people getting in and out of the little rowing boats and thought me and my weight would not make it so left Mor and Dave and walked round to the posh hotel on the other side.
We watched the little boat speed off and could see More and Daisy. They didn't s we us but we waved anyway.
At the hotel there was a sign saying that you could hire the sunbeds but didn't because we hadn't got enough time.
The pool side cafe wasn't open yet but a lovely lady invited us to sit down put the umbrellas up and made us two coffees. We sat waiting for More and Daisy to come speeding round the headland. They soon did and I phoned her to tell her our whereabouts. Course because they are in the euro my phone was fine to use.
They found us and proceeded to tell us how lovely the blue cave was but how you had to get right down to get in and Mor hot so far down that she couldn't get up again without a little help.
I remarked that I'd love to see the Rhodes ferry arrive and blow me as if by magic round the corner came this great hulking puffing Billy that filled the harbour with its enourmasness.. somehow it managed to turn and cars lorries and people disembarked in a melle of Greek disorganisation.The ferry took up the whole harbour and we imagined opening the window in the little boutique hotel across the harbour and having a Yassos moment with a bloke on the front of the ferry.
It was soon off back to Rhodes and we waved to the kids on it.
Oh well must be Amstell time so back to Vassilis and his turtles we went.
We had four alpha beers they were very nice. Got talking to a young Australian. The island seemed to be full of Aussies no hats with corks but the accent gave them away.
He told us that he came from Melbourne was here for a week and then going to Amalfi for the next one. His Uncle who was blind had the cigarette shop and had the only licence to sell them on the island. Apparently the Italians had occupied it in the war and the British had bombed it to try and remove them. We had a great conversation and off he went.
Moussaka was my choice and it arrived with chips. Apparently there was only one slice left and as two of us wanted it they'd bulked it out that way. Got to say if they hadn't have told us we would never have known. A free carafe of white wine appeared we'd stayed clear of the red because it was awful and it was soon time to send our way to the ferry. The boys had fetched our cases again no one in sight so we trundled round the harbour and sat in the last little taverna by the duty free shop. I went into the shop bought a bottle of 7star Metaxa and a litre of grouse for Bringing paid for them and was told that they would be delivered to the ferry for us.
We sat in the taverna until it was time to leave.
A much easier experience going through customs than the Turkish end and we were soon sitting on the ferry with duty free in hand.
Lovely crossing and then the nightmare of Turkish customs. They let me and Mor through with our bags which could have contained anything but the boys suitcases were opened. Nothing found and off to the office by the quay to wait for our passports to arrive.
After about half an hour they did and a helter skelter rideensued back to Kalkan.
We quickly showered and changed and walked into Town. I'd talked to John who used to be at Sopranos and was now at the Teras and we decided to eat there. It was absolutely delicious and I'm sure we'll return.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
Not sure the British bombed it, but the Germans certainly did.

If you research Kastellorizo (or Megisti) on Google, you'll find out more.

Another subject to research is "Operation Abstention", for details if the British/Italian/German conflict(s).

One of the more enlightening facts is the evacuation of the residents by the British to protect them from German bombing, some wen to Suez, but most to Australia (see the connection?) where there is a community of c.50,000 now.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 12:33:31 PM »
Thankyou will certainly read upon it.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 06:13:52 AM »
We came back from Meis on Monday and today’s Thursday where’s that gone? It’s really hot at the moment so yesterday we went down to the Town beach. We collected our mattresses put them on our sun beds and I took the monumental decision to throw myself in yon the sea. Now when I say throw myself that’s probably not the correct description I staggered into the inviting blue abyss ducked under the water and oh the sheer bliss. I looked around me and it was mostly Turkish families enjoying their days out. Young women covered from top to toe but nevertheless getting just as much enjoyment as we were. I looked over at our chairs and our bags never ever worried about them. Today to my horror I saw a bag had gone missing. I do hope it’s found because I’ve never felt unsafe in Kalkan and just the shadow of a doubt leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
We decided to get out of that lovely blue haven and now there was the challenges.Walking didn’t do it do on my hands and knees and then plonked myself on my bottom and sat gasping trying to work out my next move. Mor was stood behind laughing. Back on by hands and knees one two three up you get and I wobbled to an ungainly upright position. I was now hotter than when I’d been in the sea.
Back to The Villa for a dip in the pool. Oh it was so lovely warm and refreshing. Mor and I got out and sat laughing on the sun beds.
Adem was coming for us at seven. I had had a lovely conversation with him on the phone and I was looking forward to seeing him and his lovely family.
We arrived we’re greeted with handshakes and kisses and were shown to our lovely table. There were another couple already there and we sat down and ordered some drinks. Another party of four arrived and Zi looked on the terrace below and could see two or three more tables occupied. The meal as usual was delicious and we sat happily taking in the stunning scenery. It was nearly time to go and guess what a power cut. It was as black as your hat. Adem arrived with lights guided us to our transport. I bought a lovely home made bracelet from his younger daughter. I’ve still got it on now.
We arrived back in Kalkan and Bri and I arranged to return on Thursday of next week.
Mor and Dave are returning home on Sunday so sadly won’t be with us.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wishing my life away!

Started by joycie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

21 Replies
Last post September 01, 2017, 01:36:08 PM
by joycie
xx
Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life,

Started by Prajabhavah on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post December 17, 2023, 11:09:08 AM
by Prajabhavah
question
kalkan life

Started by tinks on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 12:38:31 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Marine life questions

Started by claire on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 02:18:23 PM
by claire

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Zula

Views: 4792
By: misty
Going Home