Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where did that fortnight go?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Where did that fortnight go?
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:29:07 PM »
Hi Guys

Got back from Kalkan the early hours of Sunday morning and was missing paradise by Sunday lunchtime.  Egg and Ryvita cannot in any way compete with the lovely food and that view from Fener on a lunchtime.

We tried to do Kalkan on a budget this time as we spent far too much money (for us) in May.  As the sun was going down while we were getting ready to go out so we did not see the point of going to the roof terraces as the view was gone by the time we sat down to eat. 

We went to Rose Restaurant opposite the gate to the Samira in town three times and the food is great.  However if you want fast food this will not be for you.  As the owner's wife does the majority of the cooking you have to wait your turn.  If you are hungry get there early to make sure your meal comes out quickly.  It is worth waiting for if you do have a wait though and prices are very reasonable. 

It was our first visit to Ali Baba's Roof Top Terrace (I know I said we wouldn't be going but this is back from the front).  Prices again very reasonable and the food is fantastic.  Hubby said this was the best food he had (until we went to Mussakka for our final meal).

Other restaurants visited, Cafe Ev, Adana, Merkez and Fener (for an evening meal as well as lunch); all excellent.

It was our wedding anniversary while we were away so booked one of the balconies at Sade.  The boys looked after us very well but we did feel a bit rushed as I think they had someone else waiting to use the table.  The food was good as always and the boys are lovely, but I think we will give them a rest on our next visit. 

We chose Mussakka for our last evening meal as most of the reports on the Forum say how good they are and we enjoyed our meal here in May.  If was the best way to end our holiday, the food and service were excellent.  We had booked our table during our first week as we knew they get busy and so they were.  They were turning people away while we were eating.  We still had some wine to drink after we finished our meal so decamped to the sofa so they could reuse our table, although we were told there was no rush.  We were not made to feel uncomfortable in any way.  Hubby had a steak that was cooked to perfection, he said.  I had the vegetable mussakka which was very filling, which is not my experience in Kalkan.  The vegetarian dishes usually leave me wanting more.

The weather during our stay was superb.  We had wall to wall sunshine every day bar one afternoon when it clouded over.  The forecast before we went said we would get more cloud, some rain and the temperature would drop a few degrees.  It did not it was hot the whole time.  The temperature in the evenings dropped a little, but then the sun goes down a little earlier this time of year.

We stayed at the Samira Resort, which was okay.  We don't mind the walk up and down the hill as we don't think it is that far but a lot of the residents were taking taxis to and from the hotel.  We stayed in the hotel side on bed and breakfast basis, which suits us.  The Turkish breakfast is delicious. 

The weather was a little warm to indulge in our usually persuit of walking around but we did get to Kalamar to visit the House Cafe & Bar.  The food here was excellent as well.  We had a lovely visit doing the crossword from the Sunday paper and enjoying a coffee.  It was so peaceful.  So much so we stayed for lunch.  We were also honoured to have the company of Moly the Kalamar celebrity dog.

We did take the boat to Kalkan Park Beach Club for one day.  It was a very quiet relaxing day.  You don't get hassled to order food or drink but there is someone there to bring this to you when the need arises.  The sunbeds and boat trip a free as well as long as you do have something to eat and drink.  The prices are reasonable as well, on a par with those in town and although we only had sandwiches they were good and the chips that came with them are really good.

When it came to our time to leave I was doing really well until my lunch plate was taken away and then the tears started.  I thought I was getting a little tired of visiting Kalkan and would be trying other places to holiday on this ever decreasing planet of ours, but the love is still there when it came time to say goodbye. 

First day back at home we booked go back first two weeks in May.  So the countdown starts again.

Not a very interesting report I know, I am afraid I don't have the eloquence of Antler or the experiences of some of the others to report.  We just had a lovely relaxing time, with good food and drink and lovely people to talk to.

Love to all
Jo

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11646.0

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Where did that fortnight go?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »
Hi Jo,

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your report.It sounds like the holiday was great,and sad when its time to go home.I agree with your comments about Sade.We head out for the last two weeks of October and will feel exactly the same as you towards the end of our stay.........sad to be going home.

Glad you still love Kalkan and will be back in 2014.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »
Great report thanks. We've been home for three weeks after our blissful eighteen night stop. Still feel a little melancholy when I look at my beautiful beaded table runners and satin bed cover. A bit sad really but we have a Turkish themed bedroom made up of all the gorgeous things we've acquired on our many trips to Kalkan. Well you have to have some little guilty pleasures lol!  Will be having our usual efes fix in Wetherspoons whilst shopping in town tomorrow. Well you have to keep your hand in.  Look foward to next time, keep counting!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
Thanks for a fab report Jo! Like you, I've found that the best way to recover from the doldrums of leaving Kalkan is to immediately book again! Good girl  :) :) :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:30:19 PM »
Thanks for letting us know about your holiday, Jo. Really enjoyed your report. If we do a second trip it's always on a tighter budget but we still have a fabulous time nonetheless.....glad to hear you did too. As lizilu says, the best way to beat the Kalkan blues is to book again for the following year.
Roll on June for us....!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Where did that fortnight go to!

Started by hobbo on Holiday Reports and Reviews

20 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 11:23:28 AM
by amber
xx
Our fortnight of food

Started by Lancs lass on Holiday Reports and Reviews

25 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 08:15:33 PM
by Rockykalamar
xx
Twenty-six years absence, so what's a fortnight in reporting back!

Started by Jann on Holiday Reports and Reviews

18 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 05:31:47 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Bettona at dusk

Views: 3655
By: Cosetta
kalkan beach