Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What I did on my holiday  (Read 5306 times)

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
What I did on my holiday
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »
 I travelled alone this year and prior to arriving I was somewhat apprehensive. As it was I had the best of holidays Yesil Dalyan and the Samira (by the roundabout!) not with standing. As I was on my own I ate in the cheaper and smaller turkish restaurants and am so glad I did the food was excellent.
Monday. I always wake early on the first morning and walk down to and around the Harbour (about 7am) it's so peaceful and the sea is calm. If I can find somewhere open will have a coffee, bliss. I spend the day at the Indigo beach club where I met 2 great women who are visiting from Australia they might buy in Kalkan and will offer me "Mates Rates" Yess. I eat at Ali Baba's by the taxi rank. Good with food and for people watching.

Tuesday. Off to Fethye market (via Turkish Delight factory) to fulfill the order/request for 2 pairs of converse for daughter! Mission accomplished ;D she will be a happy bunny  as they cost me £24  I'm a happy mummy!. Next to the fruit and vegetable section where I ended up buying a kilo of cherries omg they were delicious :) Shared with fellow travellers. Next to Karakoy which was interesting although the food at the restaurant not so good. Mezze very good, bbq chicken over cooked like leather. This restaurant was recommended by the guide would not be recommended by me though. In the evening had a pizza at Cafe Merkez I love this place and always have my early morning coffee there.

Wednesday. Yay! it's Yildiz 2 day. Fabulous day, out for 8 hours, very good company and as usual lovely food. Osman is doing an evening BBQ on Saturday and 7 of us sign up! It would be so wrong not to. Eat later at Hunkar Ocakbasi it was so busy with queues that I ate upstairs very hot but food so worth it. If you are in an apartment or villa you can get a takeaway.

Thursday. Off to Patara beach for the day with my new Aussie friends, another great day and slightly cooler than Kalkan because of the breeze. In the evening I went to the Turkish night at the Samira (by roundabout) the food was excellent I had the sea bream. It was very good value at 35tl. The quality of the food was much better than that at the Regency 2 years ago.

Friday. Indigo beach club again fab day and the staff were outstanding. My sunbed was on the boardwalk and unfortunately my watch slipped between the cracks into the sea and rocks 6 feet below :( :( I made notes of time place etc in caseI would make a  claim and told the staff when I left what had happened and that an Insurance co might write to them. A tall guy by the bar with longish hair and a beard asked me where I had lost it. I explained and said I had tried to find it myself but the strength of the sea against the wall and rocks was too strong. He insisted I show him exactly where I had lost it which I did and he then told me I would have my watch back in a few minutes. 10 minutes later it was in my hand wet but otherwise unmarked and still working. I gave the guy who was very wet and good looking a very big hug :) :) I don't think he minded too much. I am convinced this could only happen in Kalkan! In the evening I ate out with Aussie friends at Omar's kitchen and very good it was too. I had the turkish ravioli it was lovely.

Saturday. Merkez for coffee then to Indigo for the day. Ice cream at Fenner iced coffee at Cafe del Mar then back to Yildiz 2 for the evenings bbq. I am beginning to feel quite emotional about Osman and Zeynep they are so kind and loving and took really good care of all of us. Very special people.

Sunday. Last day, which I had to spend in the hotel due to the debacle with Yesil Dalyn and their incompetence over the transfer arrangements. I had lunch at the Corner, a very tasty spinach crepe, they also made me a chicken sandwich to take on the plane.
Verdict. One of the very best holidays i have ever had and my plane tickets are already booked for next June :) :) I won't be staying at the Samira and won't be using Yesil Dalyan ever. Sorry if this is boring or too long just wanted to relive it a bit lol

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9843.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: What I did on my holiday
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »
It is a lovely report tonik, not at all boring or too long and I'm really glad that the good experiences far outweighed the bad for you. Thanks for sharing.  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
A fab report Tonik, not at all boring, sounds like you had an amazing time.  Can I ask about the Indigo Beach Club, how much is it for sun beds, boat etc, sounds like you enjoyed it there.

J

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:13:30 PM »
A really lovely report Tonik sounds like you had a wonderful time in spite of the bad experience at the hotel and I so applaud you for travelling alone I am not sure I could do that so hats off to you although if i did have the courage I think Kalkan would be the only place I would attempt as the local and visiting people are always so friendly and you can easily make friends there. Indigo beach club is on the harbour Jayne so no boat is needed and is nice as you can shop/eat along the harbour whenever you want so not restricted to eating there. As Tonik says they are very friendly and obliging there too - can't remember how much the beds were tho but it is a very relaxing peaceful beach club.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »
Great report thanks - sounds fab!

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
Thank you for the report Tonik.  How can a report be long and boring when it is talking about Kalkan?  I love to read them and picture in my head where you are going. 

I have bought myself a small Tablet so I can write a report for you all when I go on my holiday at the end of August.  I just need to practice between now and then as writing on those things is much different than using a keyboard.

Jo

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
Lovely report, thanks.  More please !!!!!

I had my best ever Chicken Shish at Indigo beach club, even made a special trip
one lunch time just to have it again  8) >:D 8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
Great report Tonik,and as everyone says .. not boring.
I go to Kalkan a lot on my own,and we seem to eat at the same places,so they are a good idea for anyone travelling on their own,but I do know a few people in Kalkan now,but I think that is down to going on my own,like you say,so friendly and you always meet someone and get chatting,and I think when people know you are on your own they go out of their way to make you feel comfy.
Have you been in touch with T4u yet,you will have to let me know how you go on,my wife works in travel,and says they have to reply with the outcome in 4 weeks,so if you get in touch with them tell them you are not the only one who had a problem with Yesil Dalyan,maybe it might help...
take care,and happy hols for next time .   ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »
Brilliant report Tonik - Indigo is on the list this year! Glad you had such a good time. S :)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »
Hi Tonik
Sounds like Kalkan weaved it's usual magic :) Enjoyed reading your report and hopefully the decline in The Samira will be addressed as I've heard of many people feeling unhappy about the direction it's taken. I stayed there around 16 years ago and then it was a quiet and friendly little hotel, basic but clean and absolutely hassle free. Sad to see what's happened to it :(

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »
Fab report Tonik! If i ever had to travel alone then i would also chose Kalkan as you know you would be safe and would find like minded people to talk to.
When we first started going to Turkey 10 yrs ago we used to stay in a lovely little hotel in Olu Deniz and we had 3 good holidays there then they bought the hotel next door and expanded and on the 4th visit they had introduced bingo evenings , kareoke etc so that was our last visit. I understand it's what some people want on their hols but they seem to think that all British people want to play bingo! Anyway, that's when we discovered Kalkan and hopefully it won't go down that same road.
Nicky

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 06:57:51 PM »
Great report Toni, thanks for posting. Good to see Kalkan through the eyes of a single female traveller for a change. I did hear about women travelling alone or in pairs being hassled in The Samira, not the usual type of banter but seriously unwelcome stuff :( :(
Irrespective of the direction the hotel is going in, this is a worrying development.

We had a lovely lunch at KayaKoy but travelled there under our own steam and went to Istanbul restuarant which was lovely - often on guided tours you are at the mercy of the guide's own "preference". I appreciate as a lone traveller this was your best option but I hope you get to go back there and try somewhere else.

Sounds like you had a great time anyway ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
Thank you everybody for your very kind remarks, all these warm fuzzies leave me feeling like a very proud cat with tail held high :D How's the toe K4E hope it's all better now Toni xxx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
Toni, my foot is taking way too long to get better...some heels more wearble than others but I've managed to lose another toenail which is incredibly attractive (and careless of me) :P. Shouldn't complain, there are far worse foot injuries on this forum than mine...but thank you for asking :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
Oh No K4E - did you manage to get the shoes on for the wedding???? Sorry also your favourite place is booked = what a shame. We are out there week of 6th Aug and going to That There Place to have a look! Nuff said.  ;D ;D ;D That hotel nearby is a worry too, hope it's not a trend.  I agree flights getting ridiculously expensive. All in all..................

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 07:50:32 PM »
Lovely to read about all the things you did this time on holiday.   I agree with others that if I wanted to go any place on my own Kalkan would probably win hands down.   

The report encourages me to try to take something out with me next time so I can write something at the time.  Not sure when I would do it during the day though.   Probably should be late afternoon and after a refreshing shower but before the G. and T.s flow too much.   I know Antler gets up early and writes his blog then but by the time I get up, have some juice, Ayran, coffee etc reading on the balcony the morning is usually well advanced.

Keep the reports coming folks you we can picture ourselves back in Kalkan

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »
You poor thing kalkan4eva, hope you are not suffering too much.  I am feeling very miserable, was told my fractured foot would be better by the 3rd August, have an appointment on 27th to hopefully be told it is healed, but today the pain is worse than it was 2 weeks ago, so back for another x-ray tomorrow.  Been told not to weight bear at all, but very difficult when used to running round like a mad woman most of the time! Sorry, not asking for a sympathy vote, but just fed up!

J

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Oh Jayne so sorry the healing is not going as swimmingly (uurk) as it might.  As a person who has had to adapt to living more conservatively than previously you MUST take it easy.  My daughter has suffered so much through not doing that it's just not worth it!! Hope the X-ray is OK  ??? ??? ::) ::) >:( :(

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46:10 PM »
I'll give you a sympathy vote Jayne! I know what it's like to be restricted in what you can do. I had an operation on both my legs in January and for a few weeks i was bandaged up and was struggling to do even the most basic of things and when you're used to being active it's difficult isn't it. Hope all of you with your foot probs are soon feeling better.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »
Hi Skunk

Just pm'd you.

J

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A possible holiday

Started by Catan on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 08:49:44 PM
by Chucky
xx
Another fab holiday

Started by pattaya on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post May 18, 2016, 06:02:14 PM
by pattaya
thumbup
Holiday is Over

Started by billmccan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 07:22:55 PM
by itstime
thumbup
Best Holiday ever

Started by shee on Holiday Reports and Reviews

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 07:23:23 PM
by Kajfish

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal