Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What a great time to be in Kalkan  (Read 6947 times)

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
What a great time to be in Kalkan
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
Got back Monday night after another fabulous 11 day holiday in Kalkan.  After a bad start with a 4 hour delay flying with Thomsons from Doncaster (due to the Greek air traffic controllers strike we were told) we finally arrived in Dalaman at 5am. Luckily dalamancarrentals had obviously been following our flight and were there waiting with our hire car.  Very efficient, clean, tidy and new Fiat Albea and at less than £200 for 11 days, we prefer the convenience of a car rather than paying for airport transfers, taxis etc.  They accept payment in sterling or credit card.

We had pre-booked a hotel in Gocek, somewhere we have always intended to visit but never got around to it.  Arrived there at 6am desperate for some sleep but were greeted by a couple of noisy cockerels at the back of the hotel - no chance, but hey we're on our way to Kalkan, I was too excited anyway!

Spent a very pleasant morning walking around the marina looking at some huge yachts and wondering if our lottery numbers would come up!  Some nice little shops, enjoyed our morning and pleased that we called - would certainly call again perhaps for a meal on our journey home or to stay again if a late flight arrival.

Next stop Fethiye, again somewhere we haven't been.  The drive down to the harbour from the D400 was hectic to say the least - traffic weaving all over the place, horns beeping, people opening car doors oblivious to other road users.  We were very relieved to get to the harbour with our hire car still intact.  Had a quick look around and sat by the fountain with a well-deserved ice-cream.  On first impression this wasn't the place for us so we quickly retreated and headed for Kalkan.  Each to their own I suppose, maybe we didn't give it long enough, some of you may enjoy the hustle and bustle and I've heard the market and fish market are excellent and well worth a visit.

The rest of our journey was somewhat less eventful other than a few dark clouds and the odd spot of rain on the windscreen - no, this can't be happening!  As many people have mentioned, the beauty of arriving during daylight hours is the breathtaking view of Kalkan as you come over the hill, a real thrill and a special moment you never forget.

Sorry folks, this is turning into one of my longer reports - just bear with me as I'm enjoying reliving the memory :)

Anyway, first 2 nights in Kalkan we were booked into the Allegra Hotel in Komurluk.  Stayed there for one night last year and were very impressed.  The owner Christine is always on hand and prepares a lovely breakfast set around the fabulous infinity pool overlooking a stunning view of the bay.  If any guests require an evening meal, she will prepare an intimate dinner for 2 at a romantic table by the pool, or for more guests the roof terrace is used.  Only about 8 rooms which are comfortable and all have balconies facing the bay.  If you like peace and quiet, can highly recommend.  Booked both these hotels through booking.com but would book direct in future to save the hoteliers the 15% commission charged by the booking agent.

Checked out of the Allegra on Sunday, got in the car and travelled all of 50 metres to our 'home' for the next 8 days - 'Caretta' at Komurluk apartments, thank goodness I can unpack the suitcases at last!  Looked at these apartments previously as they always have great reviews.  Booked quite late and was lucky enough to squeeze in 8 days between bookings, hence the stop-offs on the way.  The apartment was fabulous, with both lounge area and master bedroom overlooking the bay - breathtaking views always at the top of my list of priorities when booking holiday accommodation.  One of the highlights of the holiday was sitting on the balcony watching the stunning sunsets, pre-dinner drink in hand and soothing music in the background (favourite chill-out tune this holiday George Michael - Jesus to a Child).  Would certainly stay here again, we walked to town every night either along the top service road or down the steps to Palm Beach Club and along the path to the beach - a bit steep and take your torch if it's dark.  The road is a bit rough at present but it still only took us about 10 minutes and once the roads are resurfaced it will be a doddle.

We were treated to a night of entertainment from a group of people staying in the White Lodge below. They obviously liked Beatles music and one lady sang along to Strawberry Fields at the top of her voice (not sure if she had been on the pop), if that was you it was very entertaining! ;)

Places visited - not many really, mainly a relaxing holiday (once we finally got to Kalkan).

Patara Beach - always a must for us, although we haven't yet stopped off to look at the ruins (on the list).  Chose a good day when it wasn't too windy, just a cooling breeze.  We can lay there for hours because we take a couple of lilos to put on top of those uncomfortable plastic sun loungers.  The sea is a lovely temperature at this time of year - much warmer than the end of June.  Always like to have a walk so far along the beach hand in hand - bless!

Kaputas Beach - very picturesque and another must for us but always hotter than Patara.  Hence you may have spotted me flaked out on my trusty lilo at the edge of the sea with waves lapping over me to keep cool.  Spent 2 days here, umbrellas 5 lira first time, 7 lira second - perhaps it depends if they like the look of you or not.

Palm Beach Club - This was just below our apartment but happens to be our favourite anyway.  OK, I have to admit we went in the car as we didn't fancy the walk back up the hill/steps that particular day.  Had morning coffees, large bottle of water, tasty lunch with drinks and sunbeds for the day - 71 lira.  As good as ever and a good vantage point for admiring the huge yacht anchored nearby that day.  Rumours were that Mel Gibson was on board so I whipped out the binos but alas it wasn't true, my mother in law would have been green with envy if it had been.

The all important restaurants:

Kaya - usually have our first Efes and meal of the holiday here as we are always made to feel very welcome by hosts who have become friends.  It is very popular with expats and a great place for a chat with fellow holidaymakers.  Had our usual of grilled king prawns - delicious.  Also called several times for a chat and a nightcap - lovely people and a very friendly atmosphere.

Nar - Steaks are fantastic here and the hot chocolate fondue cake was the best thing I ate all holiday.  Lovely spacious roof terrace where you're not almost sitting on the next table.

Musakka (Harbour) - You may have already read that we were slightly disappointed this time, having raved about it earlier this year.  The food was delicious but the service slightly down, perhaps because they were rushed off their feet with it being so popular.  We ordered drinks that didn't arrive but were put on the bill.  They were very apologetic and mistakes happen so it certainly won't put us off going again.

Ilyada - Somewhere else we always seem to go which started on our first visit to Kalkan 4 years ago.  Enjoyable meal and friendly staff who look after us very well plus we always get a beer or two on the house, probably because we are regular visitors - bonus!  Comfortable sofas and a great place on the harbour to people watch.

Barahat - Another favourite from earlier this year.  Lovely fresh bread made to order by the lady sat at the entrance.  Slightly cheaper than some but the same delicious food.

Olive Garden - Had the special of the day, lamb shank which was so tender it fell off the bone.  Menu a bit different, complimentary dough balls with chocolate sauce for afters.  Reasonable prices.

Gourmet - After recent reviews this was a must but we were very disappointed.  Has a Chinese theme running through the menu which made a change.  Enjoyed the complimentary sushi bites but thought the starters were a little expensive (soup 15.50 lira as opposed to 8 or 9 in other places).  Paul had the Chinese parcels - 3 very small parcels (no trimmings) which was 17.50 lira.  He then had the crispy duck which was overcooked - too crispy he said!  I had steak but have had far better in Kalkan.  I think we were charged 9 lira for a bottle of water, also dearer than most places.  Service was lacking and we poured all our own wine/water after the initial service but we were lucky - a young couple sat on the next table had ordered water and wine before their meal, had finished their starters and still no drinks, only when they asked again were the drinks finally brought to the table.  Only saving grace was that Nicki Chapman (early pop idol judge) was on the table behind us.  Perhaps the staff got wind of this and were concentrating on her table.

Talking of prices, a couple staying at our apartments had a fabulous, reasonably priced meal at one of the restaurants and decided to return 2 or 3 nights later (won't mention it by name as it is only word of mouth).  Almost everything on the menu had increased in price from their first visit - wine by about 3 or 4 lira a bottle.  Because we were getting a better exhange rate towards the end of the week, it got me wondering if some restaurants have 2 sets of menus which they use according to the rate?  Surely they wouldn't change the menu this late in the season.  We certainly noticed that Efes had gone up a lira since we left in July - some restaurants now charging 8.

Sandal - Our first time here and one of the best.  The night we were there was when the Turkish wedding party were celebrating in the harbour - great spectacle with lasers reflecting off buildings, music, dancing etc.  Our meal was exceptional, I had fillet of sole fish on creamy mash with hollandaise sauce, Paul had sea bass with prawns.  Prices were very reasonable and it is already on the list for next time.  Great views of the harbour.

Sofra - We went here on our very first visit and were really impressed so returned again the next year on a couple of occasions.  We haven't been for a couple of years so decided to go back on our last night.  So glad we did, really enjoyable meal and excellent service all round.  I think sometimes we are guilty of trying all the new restaurants from recommendations etc. and tend to overlook some of the good old ones.  Food and wine prices cheaper than many of the other roof terrace restaurants.

Drinking Bars - hic!

Cafe del Mar - favourite chill-out zone, usually have a coffee (with an alcoholic addition) but not had any cake (yet).  Usually get some complimentary nibbles - Turkish delight, nuts or fresh melon.  Love the Turkish vibe, traditional furnishings and trinkets.

Kleo Bar - Great spot by the beach, sound of the waves - idyllic.  Complimentary popcorn which I can't resist but those bits always get stuck between my teeth!

Yali Bar - We sometimes call in here if there is any footie on when we walk by (controversial)!  Also a good resting point if walking from the harbour.

Parc Kalkan - Popular with expats, stays open well into the night if you want a late drink.

Finally (phew) to sum up - we have been to Kalkan in September a few times and always thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  This holiday had something a little extra special and was just about perfect in every way.  The weather was fantastic - still quite hot during the day but not uncomfortably so, and the sea was warm.  Evening temperatures were just right and there was entertainment galore in town which all combined to make it a really unforgettable holiday (but aren't they all - we will be back, again)!

Alison & Paul

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8665.0

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Re: What a great time to be in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:36:58 AM »
What a fantastic report - well done!!!  Alas, did not make Kalkan this year :'( :'( :'(

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »
Great report, Alison! We overlapped with you so may have unwittingly bumped into you as we went to a lot of the same places.  We loved the food at Gourmet but found the service a little lacking. Nowhere near enough to ruin our evening as our meals were so great, but it was pretty hard to get anyone's attention.  I personally don't like full-on service and prefer to pour my own drinks (partly because I drink my water very fast and my wine very slow while my boyfriend is the exact opposite so he ends up getting all the wine if a waiter pours it!) but for a high end restaurant, the service wasn't what I expected. 

We visited Sandals for the first time too and, like you, were very impressed.  It's one of the places I'm most looking forward to going back to for next year.  Great views (until we got rained indoors anyway!), friendly service and brilliant food.

Kleo is one of our favourite spots too, I could sit there for hours, watching the moonlit waves gently breaking on the beach......aaaaah. 

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »
Great report Alison!
Have to say we love the hustle and bustle of Fethiye, especially around Paspatur(the old town). Gocek is somewhere we would love to visit, like you just to look at the yachts and dream!!!
Pleased to see another good report for Sandal as it's on our list of new ones to try next year, also Sofra. We also love Cafe del Mar, a great place for relaxing and taking in the ambience.
Can't wait for next June!!
Nicky.
Nicky

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
Very interesting about price changes (possibly) due to exchange rates!
On our visit recently we thought some of the prices had gone up by 10-15% since our previous visit in May.
In May we got 2.4 to the £, in September 2.81?
Any one else noticed this?
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
If it proves to be right re price rises due to better exchange rate, its shocking, I so hope it not true  :o ??? :o
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »
What a great holiday report, thanks Alisonh, it sounds as though you had a great holiday. You dined in some restaurants we have never been before eg Sandal, Sofra and we will definitely try them next year after reading your report.

I have been to Fethiye 3 or 4 times now and the first time I went I was not impressed either. It was about 1993 and in March. My impressions were that it was very industrial and not too pretty or scenic. We were only passing through on our way from Izmir to Olu Deniz by car, so only stayed 1 night. About 5 yrs ago our friends persuaded us to stay with them and other friends, at their apartments which were situated between Fethiye and Calis. This was my OH's introduction to Turkey as he would never even consider it until our friends put pressure on us to go, despite me telling him how lovely and unspoilt some parts of Turkey still are (I had been trying to talk him into Kalkan since the early 2000's when I read an article in the paper about Kalkan, but he wouldn't budge). Well, to cut a long story short, we loved Fethiye, the Paspatur as Holmfirth Nicky said is really lovely and quirky, the fish market is excellent and a trip up to Kayakoy (the ghost town) and a wine tasting and meal at Levissi restaurant is a must. Water taxi to Calis is great and although we wouldn't fancy staying in Calis during high season, it's lovely out of season.  Now my OH will not go a year without a trip to Turkey especially since we discovered Kalkan.
Fethiye is also the place my OH (having lived together "in sin" :o  ;) for many years) surprised me on bended knee with an engagement ring made at Telmessoss gold and the following year a wedding ring. Wedding ring not a surprise, got married on the hop in Vegas (that's another story!!) with a 5 doller chrome ring from the Mall which did me proud until it broke!!! So I guess Fethiye has special memories for us.  :D  ;D

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »
Hi Lizilu,
We also got married in Vegas!! We got married in 1998 at The Little chapel of the flowers. We were doing a flydrive of California and Arizona and we'd been talking about getting married having been living together for a few years and seeing as it's the 2nd time round for both of us decided to do it whilst in Vegas! What an experience!
Going back to Fethiye, we also love going on the water taxi there from Calis, we've stayed in Calis a couple of times, once early season and once late season and like you say it's nice when it's a bit quieter.
Nicky.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »
Wow Nicky, fancy that! It's a wonder we haven't bumped into each other before, seeing as we have the same taste in holiday's and wedding venue's!!
We got married on the spur of the moment at the very cheesy but wonderful "a special memory chapel". It was indeed an experience!! Hoping to back next year for a short breakwith our friends who were our witnesses (but minus the kids this time).
Oops just realised my spelling of dollar was a bit dodgy  :)
Liz

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »
Once again brilliant report Alison. Agree with you about Fethiye we were disappointed too, it seemed too commercial to us but good for getting some bits and pieces you can't get in Kalkan.

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »
Maybe we will give Fethiye another go sometime, a couple of hours wasn't really long enough and I think the lack of sleep and heavy traffic situation put us in the wrong frame of mind.  It was certainly more commercial than we thought but I'm sure there are some nicer areas we didn't get chance to see.  Friends of ours have stayed at Calis Beach and really enjoyed it.  The problem for me is that Kalkan is such a special place and everywhere else now has a lot to live up to.   

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »
Great report Alison.... had to laugh about the cockerel at the hotel in Gocek - I'm sure that must be the same place we stayed at when we came over for our pre-season apartment check in April/May.  Suffice to say we had the same problem ;-) Presumably it's the one in the middle of nowhere, by a little stream? Hotel Dalyan?

Lovely people though - when we mentioned it was a little chilly to eat on the outside terrace, they offered to let us eat inside - only to find that they meant in their own living room (complete with grandad in his undervest and braces, with his feet up in front of the telly)! Bless!

Agree about the weather in September though... we were there 9th - 22nd and it was perfect (apart from one stormy night, which cleared the air a bit anyway). Definitely best time of the year.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »
Just been looking at the weather forecast for Kalkan.    Looks as if anyone out there for the next two weeks should have rather a good time weather-wise.    Not too much rain, plenty of sun and good temperatures most days.   I imagine warm jackets will be needed for the evening but lovely weather for strolling around in the day time and quite a few days when it should be comfortable enough to eat outside mid-day.

Anyone out there now?    Tell us how your holiday goes.   Make us envious and look forward to our next visit to Kalkan.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »
Flying out on Monday......will let you know  8)

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »
It's beautiful weather here! Very warm and sunny with lovely mild evenings. Just popped to the supermarket in my summer dress & was warm enough at 21.30! Looking forward to going to the market tomorrow in the sunshine - this time last year we had torrential rain!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »
Have a great time Kalamar Dream.   Look forward to hearing how it all goes.    Very envious of you KalkanPosh.   Summer clothes seem but a memory now, just hope they still fit me when they come out next year.......

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »
Thanks tortoise lady........... I can tell you now how it will go....... Wonderful  8) 8) 8)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »
Don't mention Fethiye and rings to me, SWMBO has cost me a fortune there with an eternity ring then one for her birthday the following year. Never got around to getting them valued over here to see if they were the sale bargain we were told.
We liked Fethiye with its tight streets with loads of shops. The market is the best we've been to and they must hate her for her knack of bartering them down to cheap prices. We'll no doubt make a drive over the mountains for a day trip but this time I'm staying away from a certain jewellers.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 05:56:28 PM »
We go into a jewellers in Kalkan several times each holiday - but only to change money.    I think they have given up all hope of selling anything to me.    The shoe and handbag shops likewise do not get any custom from me.    But I do have to be dragged kicking and screaming past the garden centre (as in England) - always sure I could fit in something else.

The kitchen shop on the Kalamar Road is an attraction too.    Run, I understand, by someone who previously only seemed to be at the Thursday market.    Very useful to be able to replenish glasses etc on other days than Thursday.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj
xx
Great new bar in Kalkan

Started by Joules on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 08:47:22 PM
by Potter
xx
The Great Kalkan login

Started by Lynne T on General Discussion

42 Replies
Last post December 31, 2018, 07:18:45 AM
by kalkanites
xx
a great holiday rport fom a boston travel writer taking in Kas & Kalkan

Started by brian j p on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post November 04, 2015, 03:53:38 PM
by brian j p

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Enjoy Kalkan bag

Views: 4711
By: Oscar
villa kismet